Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5)
This topic is about Stars Above
Book Issues > Wrongfully merged book pages, is there a way to undo the action?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammm (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sammm | 86 comments Edited: Apparently there's a rule in the manual that despite I've looked at it constantly have still missed up until now. Now contacting the Staff instead. Sorry for the trouble.

Hi, I'm sure the Librarian who did this have the best intention, but may not have all the facts and resulted in this technically incorrect action.

Please take a look at www.goodreads.com/book/edits/25689074

I am not certain if all the series of edits are from the same "wrongfully merged book page", but please take a closer look at edit ID numbers: #143842984, #143843604, #143889867, and #143889869.

The said "wrongfully merged book page" in question, is "Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky" (The Lunar Chronicles #3.1), which has in fact been published separately; it's a short story that would be sent to whoever that subscribed to the author's newsletter; yes, it has also been physically printed and included in a specific edition of another book, but it doesn't change the fact that the story itself on its own is offered elsewhere, most definitely "published."

Really hope there's a way to undo the merge; have seen it been done before, so hopefully it cold be done in this case as well.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Sammm wrote: "it's a short story that would be sent to whoever that subscribed to the author's newsletter; "

Librarian Manual -

The following is a list of items that should not be added to the database:

* Shorts:
***Short stories only published in an anthology or magazine
***Deleted scenes
***Extras only published at the back of a specific book edition
***Stories only available via subscription to a newsletter, or via a website that requires registration
***Incomplete and in progress works (this is different from "forthcoming" works, which are considered completed but as yet unpublished)

Shorts are retained in some cases. Shorts that belong are those that are:
* Published separately
* Published online as a specified short story (i.e. not a 'bonus')
* Complete flash fiction

message 3: by Sammm (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sammm | 86 comments Michael wrote: "Shorts are retained in some cases. Shorts that belong are those that are:
* Published separately"

If it's not counted, then the likes of www.goodreads.com/book/show/29071069 should not have counted either; I'm sorry to seemingly throw this other title under the bus, it just happened to be the only one I currently remember; there's a lot of those "published" pieces on GR; "Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky" is one of those that at least really could be seen as published separately and not like some of the rest in Stars Above.

Edited: Holy !@$!@AW I AM SO SORRY! I got the notification and first read the reply via the app on my phone, it does not show the underline. I've only just saw your emphasis (shows how bad my reading skill is,) and dang, for some reason I've remembered the other clearly but not the one that actually applies; super odd. Thanks for pointing it out! Now contacting GR instead lol.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments Sammm wrote: "there's a lot of those "published" pieces on GR"

Yes, there are. And when they are found they are merged with an appropriate anthology when possible.

Sammm | 86 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, there are. And when they are found they are merged with an appropriate anthology when possible."
Wow, first of all, your reply is ambiguous at best, second of all, you've just done a completely baseless action. The example link IS a collection of "anthology" as you like to put, only that it is offered through subscription; none of the 12 story is included in the book you've wrongfully combined it to.

Look into the situation before generalizing the case and try to throw the rules in my face. I've read them and am familiar with them, and this isn't it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments Sammm wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, there are. And when they are found they are merged with an appropriate anthology when possible."
Wow, first of all, your reply is ambiguous at best, second of all, y..."

So you'd just like that deleted in its entirety? Because it doesn't comply with policy.

Sammm | 86 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "So you'd just like that deleted in its entirety? Because it doesn't comply with policy. "

No, I'd like to contact GR to ask about case-by-case scenario "Shorts are retained in some cases." Word game, yes, happy, no.

Sorry for the trouble, I probably shouldn't be engaging conversations the first thing in the morning. I've updated my posts. Again, sorry for the trouble and unpleasantness.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6548 comments Sammm wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "So you'd just like that deleted in its entirety? Because it doesn't comply with policy. "

No, I'd like to contact GR to ask about case-by-case scenario "Shorts are retai..."

You're fine. Although I did post in a thread to have it merged, along with a note of apology if I did it wrong. I have added a note to that post that you're contacting staff.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Sammm wrote: "Thanks for pointing it out! Now contacting GR instead lol."

No problem :-)

☾ Dαɴιyα ☽ (danija) | 13 comments I have a similar question about https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

A short story published in the anthology was merged with the anthology. If the short story was only published in the anthology, I'd get it, but that is not the case. The short story in question was published separately, and in the anthology. It can be found here http://www.mmromancegroup.com/the-bra... Wouldn't that make it a short story that should be retained?