Horror Aficionados discussion

Lists & Reading Challenges > HA's 2019 Mount TBR Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (last edited Dec 09, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

Char  | 13879 comments Mod
Can you believe we're looking down the barrel of 2019 already?

We liked this challenge so much, we decided to do it again this year. Sign up here:

https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

For this one, you challenge yourself to read X number of books ALREADY ON YOUR TBR. No need to hunt down or buy expensive books, just choose the ones you already want to read and probably already own. Use the link below to enter, the challenge is open as of right now!

This challenge applies to any books you like, not just the horror genre.

message 2: by Char (last edited Apr 03, 2019 09:29AM) (new)

I'm going to challenge myself to 40 books again this year. If I can stay away from NetGalley and Edelweiss it should be doable!

How many books already on your TBR are you going to challenge yourself to read?

As of April 1st, I'm at 5/40

1. The Fisherman
2. The Immaculate Void
3. Fear
4. Ghost Story
5. The Hatch

message 5: by Kate (last edited Jun 02, 2019 03:21PM) (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I’m going for 100 again next year.

30/100

JAN

Postal, Vol. 1 by Bryan Hill Winterworld La Nina (Winterworld, #1) by Chuck Dixon Dog Years 3 Return to Moreau Labs (Pavlov's Dogs) by Thom Brannan Shock Totem 1 Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted by K. Allen Wood Inside the Outside by Martin Lastrapes Monster Town  by Brian M. Logan Eating Sarah by Jaret Martens Deadly Class, Volume 1 Reagan Youth by Rick Remender The Russia Shift (The Fuse, #1) by Antony Johnston

FEB

Injection, Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis Pathfinder Worldscape #1 by Erik Mona Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

MARCH

Graverobbers Wanted No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1) by Jeff Strand Room 118 3 Stories by Jason White Fury MAX My War Gone By Volume 1 by Garth Ennis I Am Become Zombie by Corey Lamb

APRIL

Heartless by Allan Leverone Children of No One by Nicole Cushing Midnight Blues by Brian Knight Commitment and Other Tales of Madness by Glen R. Krisch Blood Wish by Michael McBride Fury Max My War Gone By Volume 2 by Garth Ennis

MAY

George A. Romero's Empire of the Dead Act One by George A. Romero George A. Romero's Empire of the Dead Act Two by George A. Romero Shaft Imitation Of Life #1 Digital Exclusive Edition by David F. Walker Shaft Imitation Of Life #2 Digital Exclusive Edition by David F. Walker Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. False Magic Kingdom (Book 1) by Jordan Krall Love in a Time of Monsters (Golden Age of Monsters, #1) by Teresa Yea The Urban Wildlife Gardener How to attract birds, bees, butterflies, and more by Emma Hardy

message 7: by Joe (last edited Dec 20, 2019 02:27PM) (new)

Joe Piccoli | 176 comments Im in for 50!

1) The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
2) Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage
3) Fuckness by Andersen Prunty
4) Dweller by Jeff Strand
5) The House by the Cemetery by John Everson
6) The Abyss by Jere Cunningham
7) Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
8) The Cipher by Kathe Koja
9) Firestarter by Stephen King
10) The Queen of Bedlam by Robert R. McCammon
11) Mister Slaughter by Robert R. McCammon
12) Kill For Satan! by Bryan Smith
13) Halcyon by Rio Yours
13) Out Behind the Barn by John Boden and Chad Lutzke
14) My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
15) Stranded by Bracken MacLeod
16) October by Michael Rowe
17) The Good Guy by Dean Koontz
18) 11/22/63 by Stephen King
19) Baal by Robert McCammon
20) Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman
21) Neverland by Douglas Clegg
22) Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones
23) Fugue State by Brian Evenson
24) The Changeling by Victor LaValle
25) Our Kind of Cruelty by Araminta Hall
26) Misery by Stephen King
27) The Damnation Game by Clive Barker
28) Mystery Walk by Robert R. McCammon
29) Thinner by Stephen King
30) White Noise by Don DeLillo
31) Dark Screams: Volume Four by Brian James Freeman
32) The Hellhound Heart Clive Barker
33) Freedom of the Mask by Robert R. McCammon
34) A Simple Plan by Scott B. Smith
35) Railsea by China Miéville
36) The God Project by John Saul
37) A Deep Horror That Was Very Nearly Awe by J.R. Hamantaschen
38) Intensity by Dean Koontz
39) Heaven by V.C. Andrews
40) Blue World by Robert R. McCammon
41) Sleep Over: An Oral History of the Apocalypse by H.G. Bells
42) Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

message 8: by Chelly (new)

Chelly (carnalbutterfly) | 25 comments 0/35

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Crow | 17 comments I'm in for 50!

Which will hardly make a dent in my massive TBR pile, but I've got to start somewhere. :-)

message 10: by Marie (last edited Jul 11, 2019 07:25PM) (new)

Marie | 3561 comments Not going high next year as it was all I could do to keep up with it this year! lol

I am in for 30.

1) Becoming by Glenn Rolfe
2) Ghost In The Kitchen by Deborah McClatchey
3) The Bone Spirit by Chris Snider
4) The Outsider by Stephen King
5) The 13th by John Everson
6) The Acid Bath Murderer A Terrifying True Story of one of the Worst British Serial Killers (True Crime Serial Killers) by Jack Rosewood
7) This House Is Haunted  by Guy Lyon Playfair
8) Hell House by Richard Matheson
9) The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
10) Ouija by Katharine Turner
11) The Haunted Cabin by Michelle Dorey
12) In the Dark of the Night by John Saul
13) The Right Hand of Evil by John Saul
14) Paperbacks From Hell The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction by Grady Hendrix
15) The Haunted Halls by Glenn Rolfe
16) Till Death Do Us Part by J.J. Slate
17) Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi
18) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
19) Dark Albion by David Brian
20) Flight or Fright 17 Turbulent Tales by Stephen King
21) The Everett Exorcism by Lincoln Cole
22) The Vampires of Tor Cliff Asylum by Amy Cross
23) Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia
24) The Carrow Haunt by Darcy Coates
25) The Housemates (Damienverse, #4) by Iain Rob Wright
26) Hexed A collection of supernatural thrillers by Teri Hughes
27) The Scarecrow (Solom #1) by Scott Nicholson
28) The Uninvited by William W. Johnstone
29) The House in the Hills by Rowan Hanlon
30) The Element Encyclopedia of Ghosts & Hauntings The Ultimate A-Z of Spirits, Mysteries and the Paranormal by Theresa Cheung

I have completed my tbr challenge! Whoo-hoo! :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 13, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

I am in for 20. I am planning on challenging myself with less books in 2019 so that I can focus on other projects I have. But I think 20 will definitely be doable. And, I seriously have way too many books on my TBR bookshelf! I need to get through some of them at least before I buy any more haha.

message 12: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I'm going for 40.

message 13: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 30, 2019 02:20PM) (new)

Jennifer | 388 comments FINISHED ! YAY!

I'm going for 24 again. I failed miserably this year but did read a few great books that had been on my shelves for years!

PROGRESS: 24/24
The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay Bird Box (Bird Box, #1) by Josh Malerman Jaws by Peter Benchley Danse Macabre by Stephen King Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick Frankenstein by Junji Ito South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami The Silence by Tim Lebbon Richard Matheson's Hell House by Simon Fraser 東京喰種―トーキョーグール― 日々 Tokyo Guru Hibi (Tokyo Ghoul Light Novel, #1 Days) by Shin Towada Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1) by Trudi Canavan Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1) by Grant Naylor Assassination Classroom 2 by Yūsei Matsui Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite The Emperor of All Maladies A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Omnibus, Book 3 by Eiji Otsuka 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami Ghost Story by Peter Straub Revenge by Yōko Ogawa Video Nasties A Horror Collection by Duncan Ralston The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

message 14: by Eve (last edited Dec 18, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 93 comments I met my goal of 30 this year, so for 2019 I'm going to tryyyy to do 50 40, I'm too chicken to try 50 lol. I have SO many books on my TBR so I should be able to do it, just gotta prioritize better than I have been!

message 15: by Bryndís (new)

Bryndís | 429 comments going for 40 again!

progress: 0/40

message 16: by Char (new)

Good luck!

message 18: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 772 comments I've never done this before so 10

message 19: by Elke (new)

Elke (misspider) | 616 comments Next year I'll do a more cautious approach with 12 books...

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments I'm going with 30.

Question: Do I have to go in and manually update the number of books read? Of if I list my To Be Read shelf and read books from that shelf, will it automatically update?

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. | 3 comments I did 12 for 2018 and barely accomplished that. But I think I'll shoot for 15 this year and try really hard to stay away from Netgalley :)

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 725 comments Denise wrote: "I'm going with 30.

Question: Do I have to go in and manually update the number of books read? Of if I list my To Be Read shelf and read books from that shelf, will it automatically update?"

You need to create a new shelf. You can name it whatever you want. I am not sure if it will work with the default To Be Read shelf. Every time you read a book and it’s been added to the shelf it counts. So using your actual to be read shelf would count all books even books added to the shelf and read in 2019. The goal is to read books not added in 2019 but prior yet read in 2019.

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Nancy wrote: "Denise wrote: "I'm going with 30.

Question: Do I have to go in and manually update the number of books read? Of if I list my To Be Read shelf and read books from that shelf, will it automatically..."

Ohhh.... I see. My TBR pile might be too big to move to another shelf. Thanks for clarifying!

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 725 comments Denise wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Denise wrote: "I'm going with 30.

Question: Do I have to go in and manually update the number of books read? Of if I list my To Be Read shelf and read books from that shelf, will it..."

You can go look at my shelves for an example. I think I just named my shelf HA 2019 Mount TBR Challenge. I have one for last year and the year before as well.

So let’s say I have added Bone White to my regularwant to read shelf in 2017. Then in January I decide to read it for this challenge. I just add it to the HA 2019 Mount TBR Challenge shelf as well. When I read the book it will go to the official count when I signed up here https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/.... This is where you enter that new shelf name for the challenge.

This is why it is very important to create a new shelf and add each book as you read it so it appears in the challenge. You will also see the challenges on the front page of the group. This is an easy place to see your challenge progress. There are some glitches though and I have noticed I have to click my book progress to go to the books I have read and then come back to refresh the count,

message 25: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 87 comments Nancy wrote: "Denise wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Denise wrote: "I'm going with 30.

Question: Do I have to go in and manually update the number of books read? Of if I list my To Be Read shelf and read books from that..."

Thanks for walking me through it! It all makes sense, but is probably more work than I can keep up with throughout the year. I just don't think I'll remember. Thank you for the detailed instructions!

message 27: by Christian (last edited Dec 19, 2019 01:26PM) (new)

Christian (wildcolonialboy) I'll see if I can give 50 a nudge.

JANUARY
1. Earthworm Gods II: Deluge by Brian Keene
2. Nightmare At 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson
3. The Wolf by Leo Carew
4. Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
5. Night Shift by Stephen King
6. Cirsova: Heroic Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine

FEBUARY
7. Cirsova: Heroic Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine
8. Return to the Lost Level by Brian Keene

MARCH
9. Skelos I
10. 68 Kill by Bryan Smith
11. Halloween Returns: A Fan Fiction Anthology
12. The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein
13. The Rats by James Herbert
14. Blood on the Page: The Complete Short Fiction of Brian Keene, Volume 1 by Brian Keene
15. The Dark World by Henry Kuttner
16. The Hollower by Mary SanGiovanni
17. The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard

APRIL
18. The Silence by Tim Lebbon
19. Welcome to the Show

MAY
20. Souldancer by Brian Niemeier
21. Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie
22. The Tea Party by Charles L. Grant
23. I Wonder What Human Flesh Tastes Like by Justin Isis
24. Kill For Satan! by Bryan Smith
25. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
26. Dark Father by Tom Piccirilli
27. Cover by Jack Ketchum

JUNE
28. Baal by Robert R. McCammon

JULY
29. Dahmer's Not Dead by Edward Lee and Elizabeth Steffen
30. Snow by Ronald Malfi
31. Cirsova: Heroic Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine
32. Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 by Ramsey Campbell
33. Viriconium by M. John Harrison
34. Last Day by Bryan Smith

AUGUST
35. Carrie by Stephen King

SEPTEMBER
36. Incarnate by Ramsey Campbell
37. Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
38. Quest of the Three Worlds by Cordwainer Smith
39. Shards by Tom Piccirilli
40. Survivor by J.F. Gonzalez

OCTOBER
41. Found You by Mary SanGiovanni
42. The Place by T.M. Wright
43. A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

NOVEMBER
44. Conjure Wife by Fritz Leiber
45. The Reckoning by Sarah Pinborough
46. The Bridge by John Skipp & Craig Spector
47. Occultation and Other Stories by Laird Barron
48. How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Michael Greger

DECEMBER
49. The Freakshow by Bryan Smith
50. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
51. Cirsova: Heroic Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine
52. Kraken by China Miéville

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments signing up, hopefully i keep better track this year lol

message 30: by Reading is my Escape (last edited Jul 06, 2019 08:17PM) (new)

Reading is my Escape | 23 comments I'm challenging myself to read 30 books from my tbr list this year. Between physical and ebooks, my list is quite overwhelming, so maybe this will help. I tend to read newer books and ignore the older ones sitting on my shelf. :)

7/30

1. Yellow Brick War
2. The End of Oz
3. Mystic River
4. The Cutting Edge
5. The Forgetting
6. Dark Matter
7. Homeroom Diaries

Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3) by Danielle Paige The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4) by Danielle Paige Mystic River by Dennis Lehane The Cutting Edge (Lincoln Rhyme, #14) by Jeffery Deaver The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1) by Sharon Cameron Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Homeroom Diaries by James Patterson

message 31: by Ninetailedkat (last edited Dec 27, 2019 08:47AM) (new)

Ninetailedkat | 62 comments I failed last year for my 50 books, but will try again!!! Note: other than a few select audio books, I am shooting for clearing off my bedside table and drawers of books stashed there - at last count a total of 35 books not counting the couple I may have to re-read to get caught back up in a series. So it's good you are doing this - it may save me from being crushed by an avalanche of books in the middle of the night.
50/50

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski That Quail, Robert by Margaret A. Stanger The Garden of Blue Roses by Michael Barsa Everybody Is Awful (Except You!) by Jim Florentine The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Year of Living Danishly My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country by Helen Russell Harry Clarke by David Cale Dark Stranger The Dream (The Children of the Gods #1) by I.T. Lucas The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin Obscura by Joe Hart The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3) by Justin Cronin Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders Play of the Hand in the 21st Century by Betty Starzec Dark Stranger Revealed (The Children of the Gods, #2) by I.T. Lucas Vermilion by Molly Tanzer Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Deception Point by Dan Brown Apocalypse Z The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1) by Manel Loureiro Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Positive Intelligence Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours by Shirzad Chamine Razor Girl (Andrew Yancy, #2) by Carl Hiaasen Circe by Madeline Miller The Humans by Matt Haig The Fury by John Farris Virgil Wander by Leif Enger The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton The Dispatcher by John Scalzi The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1) by Larry Correia Bad Blood Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou Free the Darkness (King's Dark Tidings #1) by Kel Kade The Android's Dream (The Android's Dream #1) by John Scalzi Emma An Audible Original Drama by Anna Lea I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner Reign of Madness (King's Dark Tidings, #2) by Kel Kade Apex Magazine #107 April 2018 by Jason Sizemore Legends of Ahn (King's Dark Tidings, #3) by Kel Kade Defense in the 21st Century The Heart Series by Audrey Grant Orphan X (Orphan X, #1) by Gregg Hurwitz Kingdoms and Chaos (King's Dark Tidings, #4) by Kel Kade The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides Educated by Tara Westover NOS4A2 by Joe Hill Marley by Jon Clinch Soulsmith (Cradle, #2) by Will Wight Unsouled (Cradle, #1) by Will Wight The Boys Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Garth Ennis

Note: Stephen Fry's Victorian Secrets from audible no longer comes up but I read it so my count should reflect one more book!!

message 32: by Feli (last edited Sep 02, 2019 11:03AM) (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 501 comments I am going for 35 books for this challenge this year.
I will try to read at least 25 book which I already own and the last 10 books are for my digital TBR shelf which I would have to buy first (I know I can't resist completely, so that's a deal for me).

14/35

1. The Stand by Stephen King The Stand - Stephen King
2. A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
3. The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
4. On This, the Day of the Pig by Josh Malerman On This, the Day of the Pig - Josh Malerman
5. State of Sorrow (Sorrow, #1) by Melinda Salisbury State of Sorrow - Melinda Salisbury
6. Craven Manor by Darcy Coates Craven Manor - Darcy Coates
7. Pet Sematary by Stephen King Pet Sematary - Stephen King
8. Warcross (Warcross, #1) by Marie Lu Warcross - Marie Lu
9. Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst Fire & Heist - Sarah Beth Durst
10. Haven by Tom Deady Haven - Tom Deady
11. Animal Farm by George Orwell Animal Farm - George Orwell
12. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green Turtles All the Way Down - John Green
13. I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid I'm Thinking of Ending Things - Iain Reid
14. The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien The Fall of Gondolin - J.R.R. Tolkien

message 33: by Violeta (last edited Feb 20, 2019 12:11PM) (new)

Violeta (vaioletita) | 4 comments Hi, I'm in- I have too many unread books at home. I'll try to read 18 paper books- not ebooks, I aready have at home (out of the 60 books I'll try to read in 2019).
2/18
1) The Man Who Sold the Moon by Heinlein
2) American Psycho by Ellis

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 725 comments So far I am doing really good this year. I am at 15/45.

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 250 comments Wow! Congrats to you.
That's some dedication.
You're killing it.

message 36: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 725 comments Michael wrote: "Wow! Congrats to you.
That's some dedication.
You're killing it."

Thanks!

Somehow I have gotten lucky and a lot of group reads so far this year have been on my to read list for a while.

message 37: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Mar 28, 2019 11:29AM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I’m going to try 20 books for this challenge

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma (aquarianibis) | 81 comments I love this idea! Especially since I don't physically have enough space in my tiny apartment for all my books... >_> I'm starting small, so I'll just challenge myself to 25. How about this: if I get through 25 in the next four months, I'll add more to my challenge! I'm not treating this as my total reading challenge for this year, because I'm not off to a great start; all I've read so far this year have been library books, Xmas presents, or recent purchases (I am virtually helpless when walking into a library book sale)... So: here goes!

message 40: by Char (new)

Sounds great, Emma! Good luck!

message 41: by Catt (new)

Catt | 2 comments Late to the game but I want to finally read all the books I keep adding to my list.. Yay going with 15 for now.

message 42: by Char (new)

Catt wrote: "Late to the game but I want to finally read all the books I keep adding to my list.. Yay going with 15 for now."

Great! Best of luck with your goal. :)

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 725 comments I have two books left and I will be done! I upped my challenge to 45 books (40 books last year).

Kind of bummed this isn’t one of 2020’s challenges.

message 45: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 725 comments I have one book left to finish the challenge!

message 46: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 501 comments Okay, so I did 24 books for this instead of 30. But that's still a lot and after all I didn't have that much time for books this year, so it's still good although I didn't achieve my goal. But that's okay. Next year is all about my tbr mount, haha :D