William T Vollmann Central discussion

His Photography

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 733 comments Can't believe I've not gotten a Photo oriented thread going here yet! We'll start with this piece I don't believe I've seen before ::

" Prostitution, Activism, and Photography ::
The Photography of William T. Vollmann "
By Tricia Ingram
https://sites.duke.edu/prostitutionac...

[some of the claims of which of course I disagree with but that's par for this course]

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Beshear | 57 comments There's a lot to disagree with, though she does raise valid issues about use of "documentary" photography. Also, it reads like an undergrad paper, or perhaps a little grad paper written in the middle of a seminar -- I'd hate to have any of the papers I wrote back then put online for anyone to see. I also doubt the author has read the Vollmann novels cited in the piece.

message 3: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 733 comments Tom wrote: "There's a lot to disagree with, though she does raise valid issues about use of "documentary" photography."

that's the part I disagree with. Vollmann simply doesn't work in the manner described in the article as 'docu photo' ;; definitely a methodological question. Vollmann's documatarianism is definitely of the participatory style.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Beshear | 57 comments I too question whether Vollmann's photos are "documentary" in the sense she means. Her broad points about the hazards of documentary pix have merit, but, yeah, not sure they apply well to V.

message 5: by Cody (last edited Dec 13, 2018 04:58PM) (new)

Cody (warmjets) | 62 comments This is horseshit. He’s not a docu-activist photographer, or whatever title the author tried to hang on him. He is a WRITER—and maybe our generation’s best. Funny how the exact things the author took umbrage with are the very same that endear Vollmann to me so.

Sorry, but this all reeks of hive-mind collegiate bullshit where one's aim is simply still beyond their grasp.

Also: fucking Franzen?!? Any validity went —> window.