Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Susan's Old and New Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan O (last edited Jan 31, 2019 10:11PM) (new)

Susan O (sozmore) I'm going to give this one a try again.

Old School
1. The Mill on the Floss 1860
2. New Grub Street 1891 **
3. Eugénie Grandet 1833 **

New School
4. The Caine Mutiny 1951 **
5. An American Tragedy 1925 **
6. The House of Mirth 1905

Wild Card
7. Persuasion 1817
✓ 8. Northanger Abbey 1818
9. Summer 1917
10. Main Street 1920 **
11. North and South 1855 **
12. David Copperfield 1849

Alternates
1. Silas Marner 1861
2. As I Lay Dying 1930 **

** Are new to me authors.

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4781 comments Mod
Glad you're back, you have created a great list. The Mill on the Floss and Silas Marner I read earlier this year, both were very good. Two others that stand out are The Caine Mutiny and The House of Mirth. Happy reading, enjoy!

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Great list! I have a few of these planned for my list also. Hope you have fun with it, and good luck with your challenge :)

message 4: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Thanks Bob and Renee. I look forward to getting back to classics this coming year.

message 5: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Oh your list looks great! I’ve read five of your choices and loved all but one. I want to read all of your other picks, so I’ll look out for your thoughts next year :)

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3588 comments What a great challenge, Susan. With new authors and some Austen and Eliot and Dickens, you're sure to enjoy it. I had to add the Balzac you chose--I haven't read him either.

message 7: by Terris (last edited Dec 09, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Terris | 2338 comments Great list, Susan! I've read 10 of yours! But I am also wanting to get to Eugenie Grandet and An American Tragedy, also The Caine Mutiny is on my list. Good luck on your challenge and Happy Reading! :)

message 8: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments That's a good-looking list. I've read the Austen, but none of the others. I hope you enjoy them all.

message 9: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments Great list! I love North and South. And I think I'm due a re-read of Northanger Abbey.

message 10: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Thanks to everyone. I'm looking forward to these and glad to hear some of you loved some of them. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Hope I can finish this year. :D

message 11: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2501 comments Hi Susan. Just saying "hello" to all my reading folk on this challenge. I know thigs have been busy. So just a little encouragement 🌻

message 12: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) Thanks Cynda.