Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Cynda: What's She Thinking?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynda (last edited Dec 31, 2019 06:01PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Cynda's Old & New Challenge
Old Stuff
🐄1. The Odyssey by Homer Read Feb 16 my review
🐄2. The Aeneid by Virgil June 7 my review
🐄3. Oedipus Rex by Sophocles Read April 6 my review
🐄4. Oedipus at Colonus by Sophocles Read April 6 my review
🐄5. Antigone by Sophocles Read April 6 my review
6. Paradise Lost Chose Alernate

the New Stuff
🐄1. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie Read August 14 my review
🐄2. The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie Read Oct 30 my review
🐄3. The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie Read Nov 5 my review
🐄 4. A Murder Is Announced by Agatha Christie Read Nov 17 my review
🐄5. They Do It with Mirrors by Agatha Christie Read Dec 7 my review
🐄6. A Pocket Full of Rye by Agatha Christie Read Dec 24 my review

the Alternates
🐄1. Persuasion by Jane Austen Read Oct 11 my review
2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Yikes Yay Yay

message 2: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) I love the old stuff and read the Theban plays by Sophocles last year. Hope you like them. And of course Jane Austen! Good luck.

message 3: by Cynda (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:36PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Susan. All the old stuff and the Austen are re-reads. (Most from decades ago.) The Agatha Chrisitie is what is new and exciting for me. Looking forward :-)

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Your old stuff scares me, I'd have to take them in smaller doses, like one every decade. But more than once I have thought about how cool it would be to get a big stack oh Agatha Christie's books and binge read.

message 5: by Cynda (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Hi Bob. I hear your concern. Not to worry. Paradise Lost I have read once, and all the the other old selections I have read twice. The plays are familiar and short enough to cause no sweat.

I am an experienced reader. Earlier this year I participated in an official group read ofThe Iliad, here at Catching Up. Now two or three of us have moved over to my main group to do an official group read of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Thank you for your concern. I too would have expressed concern as moderator.

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I love your old school picks! They’re some of my favourite books and I have Paradise Lost planned for 2019 myself. Good luck!

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Love this balanced challenge, Cynda, and I especially look forward to your thoughts on the old school reads. Definitely yay!

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2389 comments I like your list, Cynda! Good luck and enjoy! :)

message 9: by Cynda (last edited Dec 10, 2018 12:04AM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Pink :-)
Thanks Kathleen :-)
Thanks Terris :-)

I plan to keep suggesting Paradise Lost for official group reads!

message 10: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments I read the Odyssey this year and loved it. I got stuck halfway through the Aeneid, though. It's a great list.

message 11: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Love your set-up, with all the nice Agatha Christies balancing out the classical classics. They are great either, though. I love The Odyssey (a fantastic journey) and Antigone (such tragedy). In case you can't get enough of Antigone, Jean Anouilh wrote a beautiful, more modern version of it.

message 12: by Cynda (last edited Dec 11, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments April wrote: "I read the Odyssey this year and loved it. I got stuck halfway through the Aeneid, though. It's a great list."

In college, the first time I read ancient works, including The Aenied, I study partnered with an Athena honorer. Made all the difference between hanging on/developing a seriously expanded worldview and flat out quitting.

This is me giving cosmic shout out to Charles, wherever he might be.

message 13: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Lotte wrote: "Love your set-up, with all the nice Agatha Christies balancing out the classical classics. They are great either, though. I love The Odyssey (a fantastic journey) and Antigone (such tragedy). In ca..."

Thank you Lotte. Good to know. I am hoping to read such books, maybe 2019 and definitely 2020. I have read Circe by Madeline Miller. I hope to read her The Song of Achilles. I would like to know of other re-tellings you have read or want to read. I am compiling a list.

message 14: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 274 comments The old stuff looks daunting but smart, you've lined up new stuff to give you you a break.

I like how you've organised your reads - Good Luck!!!

message 15: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Inkspill wrote: "The old stuff looks daunting but smart, you've lined up new stuff to give you you a break.

I like how you've organised your reads - Good Luck!!!"

Thanks Inkspill :-)

message 16: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments I am terrified but impressed by your "old stuff"! lol

I only recently started reading more of Agatha Christie and I have not been disappointed yet. I have A Murder is Announced on my TBR for 2019 as well.

message 17: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Hi Rachel. Thanks. The Old Stuff is all re-reads. Time to cycle back through.

About Agatha Chrisite. I have read her short stories. But never her novels. Surprising considering much much I love watching series episodes, some over and over. Rachel, I will be interested to read what you have to say about A Murder is Announced. It is one of my favorites, no matter Miss Marple series I watch.

message 18: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments While I am getting a slow start, I plan to be done with this challenge by the end of the year. The first part of the year I am busy with month-long challenges of black history, women's history, and earth day/month. Then: Old & New in a big way starting in May.

message 19: by Cynda (last edited Feb 19, 2019 10:50PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments I updated message 1.
This month I have read The Odyssey, the translation by Fagles. I wanted to read another standard, slightly less expensive edition than the Emily Wilson. I hope to read the Emily Wilson next time around. 🙋‍♀️Thanks Catching Up reading buddies. Enjoying the on-going convo🙋‍♀️

Next month I will be reading The Aeneid also trans by Fagles. One other person has expressed interest. Anyone else want to read The Aeneid, any translation?

message 20: by Ila (new)

Ila | 336 comments I've read Antigone and Persuasion from your list. Hope you enjoy your reading. All the best!

message 21: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Ila!

message 22: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments Cynda wrote: "Lotte wrote: "Love your set-up, with all the nice Agatha Christies balancing out the classical classics. They are great either, though. I love The Odyssey (a fantastic journey) and Antigone (such t..."

I really hope to Circe and The Song of Achilles at some point! I've just discovered them, but I do love retellings: they rekindle my interest in the original works.

Enjoy The Aeneid. I hope you find some reading buddies :).

message 23: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lotte wrote: "... but I do love retellings: they rekindle my interest in the original works..... ."

Same! :)

message 24: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Lotte and MK :-)

message 25: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments :-) Enjoy, Cynda! I hope you get some buddy readers, "Aenid" is on my 'bucket list', but for next year, maybe. I know I'll benefit from your discussion then !!

message 26: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
I don’t know if I should blame destiny or your challenge for my current predicament. But after reading through your books list and posts I started reading Oedipus Rex. Now Pandora’s Box has been opened, another Greek Myth, right? Anyway, I now feel compelled to at least read the other two Theban Plays. But now I’m curious about Pandora. Where will it all end?

message 27: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Bob wrote: "I don’t know if I should blame destiny or your challenge for my current predicament. But after reading through your books list and posts I started reading Oedipus Rex. Now Pandora’s Box has been op..."

Bob, it happened to me too! A friend read the Theban plays, and now I too have felt the lure to open up a Pandora's box. The inside of this box glows

message 28: by Cynda (last edited Apr 07, 2019 11:13PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments I have started reading The Aeneid. I hope to be done by the end of the month.

message 29: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments I participates in a 24-hour readathon on April 6. I read the three plays of the The Theban Cycle. Links to my reviews are listed above.

message 30: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
I enjoyed your reviews.

message 31: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Bob wrote: "I enjoyed your reviews."

Thanks Bob :-)

message 32: by Cynda (last edited Apr 29, 2019 06:58PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments This is me recording my working list for next year
Plays by Euripides
1. Helen
2. Hecuba
3. Andromache
4. Iphigenia in Tarius
5. Iphigenia in Aulis
6. Medea
(I may read more of these before 2019 ends.)

message 33: by Cynda (last edited Aug 17, 2019 11:01PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Probably not rereading Paradise Lost this year. I am pressuring myself to complete some other reading challenges. So I will reread an Austen novelfrom my Alternates, likely Persuasion, my current Austen favorite.

message 34: by Cynda (last edited Aug 17, 2019 11:06PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments With the help of this challenge, I am reading 6 Miss Marple mysteries. I have just read Murder at the Vicarage. I understand it is not the best of Agatha Christie's novels. Good to know as I am not particularly impressed.

I am so used to watching Miss Marple miniseries and not used to watching many other mysteries that I feel a little incompetent to write a review for the Vicarage novel. I hope to get more comfortable in time.

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Looks like you got the heavy ones out of the way Cynda. I love your Greek focus in the Old. Even if the Christie books you chose aren't the best, at least they will be fast. Congrats on your progress!

message 36: by Petra (new)

Petra Nice reading, Cynda.
I've yet to read Paradise Lost and am impressed that you would reread it. Must be good. I'll have to make sure I read it at some point soon(ish).

message 37: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Petra for stopping by. I may put off reading Paradise Lost until next year. If you should get a desire to read next year, let me know in case we can read together. I would like that.

message 38: by Petra (new)

Petra I will, Cynda.

message 39: by Cynda (last edited Nov 04, 2019 07:19PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Sue wrote: "Looks like you got the heavy ones out of the way Cynda. I love your Greek focus in the Old. Even if the Christie books you chose aren't the best, at least they will be fast. Congrats on your progress!"

Hi Sue. Just saw your note. My annual plan (best laid plans. . . .) is to read 6 Agatha Christie novels each Old & New Challenge, reading the Miss Marple in order and then the Poirot in order. The Poirot novels are better, I think. . . .but don't yet know.
I will be reading your reviews of any Agatha Christie novels as I read through them.

message 40: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments I am just two cozy mysteries away from completing this challenge and a whole month still left. I am feeling some pressure. Or is that excitement. . . .

message 41: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments I am starting to tighten plans for next year. I will do another Old and New of Euripides plays and Agatha Christie. For a personal challenge of Early Modern, I will read three Utopias, one being the Sir Thomas More and some Shakespeare plays in Spanish. If anyone wants to join in any of this, great.

I will continue to check on my various friends here to see what Old School Reads or Agatha Christie reads I may want to join in during 2020. Happy Reading!

message 42: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
You have this one, congrats!

message 43: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Bob! I'm going over to Personal challenges to see whose there (you too, I think) and how things are dme there.

message 44: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments (writing on phone makes my writing strange)

message 45: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Great job on this challenge, Cynda. I'll be reading Utopia, so glad you'll be there!

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3101 comments Congratulations Cynda. It's great that you left a couple of easy ones for the end. Enjoy!

message 47: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Oh Good Kathleen.See you then.
Thanks Sue. easy treat.

message 48: by Cynda (last edited Dec 25, 2019 05:51PM) (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments All Done. Yay Yay and not Yikes.
Soon a different Old and New.

message 49: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1605 comments Congrats on finishing. Very impressive collection of old books you read this year!

message 50: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2640 comments Thanks Laurie :-)

« previous 1