Star Trek discussion

Worst Star Trek Movie

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pete (new)

Pete Hale (petehale) | 13 comments For me, Insurrection. I don't hate Nemesis or (here it comes) The Final Frontier as much as the rest of the Alpha Quadrant.

message 2: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments None of the three you listed were very good, but I have to say that The Final Frontier still tops the list for me.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments Still have to say Nemesis is the worst of the bunch.

The other two are flawed, but entertaining.
Nemesis is just dark and unpleasant.

message 4: by Nathan, Executive Officer (new)

Nathan (navrin) | 29 comments Mod
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - the uniforms, story, directing, etc - trying to make Star Trek into a Stanley Kubrick movie...

message 5: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments Nathan wrote: "Star Trek: The Motion Picture - the uniforms, story, directing, etc - trying to make Star Trek into a Stanley Kubrick movie..."

The story line for ST:TMP was originally intended to be a one hour episode, not a two hour movie, and I think it might have actually worked in the shorter format. But in order to stretch it out to feature length, they added so much useless fluff that the movie was ruined, even without the ridiculous uniforms.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments I dont think this question is fair. Each movie was mode in a given era of technology, film making culture, Hollywood culture, budgets etc.

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin | 56 comments Greg wrote: "I dont think this question is fair. Each movie was mode in a given era of technology, film making culture, Hollywood culture, budgets etc."

A good point, but I still think the question is fair. Every one of us is going to have our own opinion of each of the movies, and every one of us is going to have our own reasons for forming those opinions.

I am old enough to have seen all the movies when they were new, so my opinions were formed when the technology, etc. for each movie was current. So obviously my thoughts will be different from those of someone who was born in 1999 (or, for that matter, from those of someone who was born in 1939).

But that doesn't make my opinion "right", and anyone else's "wrong" - we're talking about opinions, after all.

Star Trek is, or can be, a lot of things, but mainly it is entertainment. And when we talk about "best" (Undiscovered Country) or "worst" (Final Frontier) movies, what we really mean is "these are the ones I found most, or least, entertaining." So I think the question is fair, as long as we remember that no one is right, and no one is wrong.

Those that have been following this group for a long time might be surprised to hear me saying such tolerant things, considering the extreme vitriol that I was spewing regarding the Abrams movies not too long ago, but I guess I must have mellowed a little since then (I still don't like the Abrams movies, but I no longer feel the need to pour invective on those who do).

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 116 comments Yeah, I think it's far.
Nobody here is picking a 'worse' simply because it looks old or doesn't have cgi.
It's a mix of factors.

None of these lists are scientific or carved in stone truth, they are just people's preferences.
I mean, I'm obviously right, but I'm a special case.

No best/worst list is true. They are all fickle opinion and really created for no other purpose then to give people something to argue about.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 11 comments Ok fair enough. I look forward to rewatching the Abrams movies every six months. They look great even though some of the plots are silly (why was the Enterprise under water? At the start if a movie???) but what annoys me about these films is the immense talent of the actors on display but they are "wasted" by impersonating actors. If Jj had used the cast to be free and create a whole new crew, the cast could be free to do what actors do. If they are going to mimick TOS with current technology then why nit remake TOS episode by episode and with any luck the show will go beyond three years and BINGO we have Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura and Scottie all exploring space again WITH WHOLE NEW STORIES!!! THAT IS WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS not alternative timeline movies that mimmick the great moments of Trek movie history. But my favourite movies are the tos ones. Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country. I didnt like the way Kirk died. He deserved more but it tied in with canon. I guess ST1 is my least favourite but at least its pure Trek. 🖖