What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Checkers
This topic is about Checkers
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA about kids in mental hospital, from different perspectives of characters. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani (new)

Dani | 3 comments I read this book in middle to high school I think and it was one that a lot of people were reading at the time. It’s broken up into different chapters of different peoples perspectives basically going over what brought them to this mental hospital. One character I remember is a girl who ends up there after having a seemingly perfect life with a wealthy family. She reminisces about going skiing and talks about having a fake ID to go to bars and something about meeting a boy. Anyways, at some point in the past her dad buys her this dog. I can’t remember exactly what the dogs whole origin is but it ends up someone gets a picture of her and the dog and that for some reason unearths some shady things her dad has been doing so he ends up shooting the dog and I think he goes to jail for the fraud or whatever. Her mom checks out and the girl eventually attempts suicide, landing her in the hospital.
So yeah that’s just one characters story but there were at least two more that I can’t remember at all. Google hasn’t helped. But this book really stuck with me almost 10 years later and I’d like to just know the title.

message 2: by Dani (new)

Dani | 3 comments Would have read it around 2008 or 2009 and I’m thinking the book was fairly new but not entirely sure

message 3: by SBC (new) - rated it 2 stars

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments Checkers by John Marsden? I think it's only told from one point of view, but the girl's dog is important to the plot.

message 4: by Dani (new)

Dani | 3 comments Yes that’s it! I must have gotten some parts mixed up with another book from my teen years. Thank you!

message 5: by SBC (new) - rated it 2 stars

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments Great, I'm glad I could help! :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Checkers (other topics)