a true crime book club. discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
Per Peter’s video, we are doing true crime for 2019. Hooray!

If you have suggestions, please leave them in this thread.

Also, our January book will be The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisabooks64) Looking Forward it to reading True Crime, I already did my one click on Amazon 🥰

message 3: by Mel (new)

One click? Do you mean that you’ve ordered your book?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisabooks64) Yes I got in on my Kindle

message 5: by Mel (new)

I see. Got it! :)

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (brittany-brown) | 16 comments Lost Girls by Robert Kolker
Crime of the Century by Dennis Breo
With One Shot by Dorothy Marcic
The RiverMan by Robert Keppel

message 7: by Angel (new)

Angel Eisnaugle | 8 comments I ordered A Stranger Beside Me right after I watched Peter’s video. A year of true crime is going to be awesome! I also ordered In Cold Blood just in case. Either way I want to read that one.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisabooks64) Hi Angel, My son has the book In Cold Blood, hoping It will be one of the book club picks 🥰

message 9: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments This is so weird! I was in B&N today and was going to buy Every Breath You Take by Ann Rule but they didn't have it. So I bought The Stranger Beside Me instead. Then I get home and watch Peter's announcement.

I'm all set for January! lol

Would love to read:
Columbine by Dave Cullen
Helter Skelter
Spilled Milk by K.L. Randis

message 10: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments In cold blood is also on my long TBR list and I own the book

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (mrsjeune0518) | 54 comments super excited about this!

I vote Sadie by Courtney Summers

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly O'CONNOR | 22 comments I would love to read In Cold Blood

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly O'CONNOR | 22 comments Really excited about True Crime

message 14: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments I found another one

Torture mom by Ryan green

message 15: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments Kayla wrote: "super excited about this!

I vote Sadie by Courtney Summers"

I don't think that fits into true crime. It's YA Contemporary Fiction mystery. True crime is usually nonfiction.

message 16: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments I am such a list person. I just took my nonfiction folder on goodreads and sorted it out and make a true crime folder. I have 65 books listed on my folder. Here's the link to the 65 books.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Maybe we can find something from there to read for future months.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (a_bookish_butterfly) | 4 comments I’d be interested in doing In Cold Blood for a 2019 true crime read.

Although I’ve already read Columbine by David Cullen, I would definitely like to participate in any discussion, if that book is selected. I’d also be interested in other books surrounding the shooting, such as Brooks Brown’s account.

message 18: by Artemis (new)

Artemis (agmerm) | 1 comments So excited for a year of true crime! Ordering The Stranger Beside Me, and I hope we read In Cold Blood! I’m thinking about teaching it this year to my 11th graders, even though I never taught it before!

message 19: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (mrsjeune0518) | 54 comments @Mom2triplets04 oh I see. thank you!

message 20: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (iownbooks) | 2 comments I Loved the idea of reading a book on the mofia that topic sounded so interesting! I’d love to read about Irish gangs or motorcycle gangs as well!

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim  L | 1 comments Love true crime having started with podcasts and turning to their book recommendations! Here are several to think about:
1. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
2. The Looming Tower, the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright
3. Zodiac by Robert Graysmith
4. True Crime Addict , the disappearance of Maura Murray by James Renner
5. Lost Girls by Robert Kolker
6. Sons of Cain: history of serial killers by Peter Vronsky
7. Devils Knot by Mara Leveritt
8. Columbine by David Cullen
9. The Poisiners Handbook, the birth of forensic medicine by Deborah Blum
10. Homicide by David Simon (basis for The Wire tv show)
11. The Red Parts by Maggie Nelson
12. Beyond the Body Farm by William Bass
13. Adanan's Story , after Serial by Rabia Chaundry
14. A Mothers Reckoning : Living in the aftermath of tragedy by Sue Klebold

message 22: by Mel (new)

Thank you!

message 23: by Mel (new)

I read A Mother’s Reckoning over the summer and it was really wonderful. I enjoyed it but I’m not sure I would re-read it.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions so far. I’m working on going through & writing down the books that sound the most interesting. You guys are rockstars!

message 24: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments Hope you pick some good ones. It's very hard for me to read in a group since I DNF often. I get bored very quickly and jump from book to book. I've never been diagnosed with ADD but I think I have it when it comes to reading.

message 25: by Mel (new)

Mel wrote: "I read A Mother’s Reckoning over the summer and it was really wonderful. I enjoyed it but I’m not sure I would re-read it.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions so far. I’m working on going t..."

Sounds like you might do better listening to an audio book. That's what I do when Im not particularly interested in a book we are reading. It helps me to complete the book & get through it quickly.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) The Stranger Beside Me has been on my tbr since the dawn of time.

I love the Bundy case.

What day are we starting it?

message 27: by Mel (new)

Michelle - 1/1

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4 comments I looked on amazon for a copy and realized The Stranger Beside Me is available for free on Kindle Unlimited. Last month I signed up for a deal for .99 for 3 months. Wanted to let other members know who already have Unlimited or are thinking about getting it.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisabooks64) Thanks I already got mine from unlimited as well 😀

message 30: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments Laura wrote: "I looked on amazon for a copy and realized The Stranger Beside Me is available for free on Kindle Unlimited. Last month I signed up for a deal for .99 for 3 months. Wanted to let other members know..."
I signed up for unlimited for 3 months too. Bummer I already bought my book.

message 31: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Walker | 11 comments thank you for the heads up as I’ve got kindle unlimited 😊 I shall go get that on my list

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly O'CONNOR | 22 comments Hi everyone, I was thinking if anyone would be interested in reading something about the Black Dahlia, the Elizabeth Smart Case. I have always been fascinated by this case. It is a bit gruesome, but it happened in the 1940s and it is still unsolved. I hope I'm not being pushy since I'm new to the club. I just wanted to throw the idea out there. Thank you for listening

message 33: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments A new release in 2019 coming out on Jan 29th. It's called A Serial killers daughter by Kerri Rawson.

from goodreads:
In 2005, Kerri Rawson heard a knock on the door of her apartment. When she opened it, an FBI agent informed her that her father had been arrested for murdering ten people, including two children. It was then that she learned her father was the notorious serial killer known as BTK, a name he’d given himself that described the horrific way he committed his crimes: bind, torture, kill. As news of his capture spread, Wichitacelebrated the end of a thirty-one-year nightmare.

message 34: by Mel (new)

We are trying to avoid new releases since a lot of people get books from the library and wait lists are challenging. Sounds like a great book, though

message 35: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkicraddock) | 42 comments I'm so excited, I just joined and started reading January's book since I am a slow reader. It is so good so far.

message 36: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments I decided to start reading January book. So I sat in the car place getting my car oil changed and read the beginning! My book has added chapter from author it’s 30 pages before page 1. Finally finished that. CraZy how it’s not added to the page total! Anyway she describes his death and some other people who cane in contact with ted but are survived. Wow the author was friends with ted. Can’t wait to start page 1 now.

message 37: by Librarian Alli (new)

Librarian Alli | 3 comments Mom2triplets04 wrote: "A new release in 2019 coming out on Jan 29th. It's called A Serial killers daughter by Kerri Rawson.

from goodreads:
In 2005, Kerri Rawson heard a knock on the door of her apartment. When she open..."

This sounds fascinating, can't wait!

message 38: by Den (new)

Den | 23 comments OMG I totally failed last year's book club, basically I read half books since the Galaxy. But this year I wanna commit!!! Loye you two so much

message 39: by Mel (new)

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

message 40: by Tasha (new)

Tasha YaYa | 16 comments Do we know February’s book?

message 41: by Mel (new)

Not yet. We will announce by the 15th of January

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Mcneal | 22 comments This may be a completely redundant question but are all of the true crime books this year going to be about murder?

message 43: by Mel (new)

It is a large part of true crime but we don’t have the full reading schedule together

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Mcneal | 22 comments Thanks Mel.

message 45: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Stone | 2 comments Not sure if this is true crime, but i am reading a book: The Word Is Murder by: Anthony Horowitz and I think this is very good it is about a lady who dies the day she plan her funeral and there is a detective and the author follows this detective to solve the mystery. I guess this is more of a mystery!

message 46: by Annie (new)

Annie | 37 comments If y’all don’t read “Every breath you take” by Ann Rule, you are missing out. It’s better than The stranger beside me. It’s by far her best one IMO. The things this man did blew my mind. It’s the only true crime book I think I’ve ever re-read. Never a dull moment.

message 47: by Anousha (new)

Anousha | 23 comments I FINISHED A STRANGER BESIDE ME!

message 48: by KarieJo (new)

KarieJo Loutensock (kjloutensock) | 6 comments Hey Mel! Do we know what the February book is going to be yet? So excited to be apart of this! :)

message 49: by Mel (new)

That video was supposed to come out yesterday but, it will be announced today— here and on YT. :)

message 50: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Walker | 11 comments Is anyone struggling with this book? I’m only on chapter 11 😩 I just can’t get into it, I’m really trying though, I don’t know if it’s because some of the chapters are long, I’ll be reading it and I’ll be like yes it’s picking up but then it goes back to being drawn out. By now I’ve got a good couple of books read, I just don’t know about this book, I will finish it, if it kills me lol

« previous 1