2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Casey's 20 in 2019

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (last edited Dec 30, 2019 05:28PM) (new)

Casey | 110 comments Total Books Read (32/20) - Complete

2019 U.S. Presidential Biographies (3/5)

Total:U.S. Presidents Challenge (3/45) ( started in 2018)

message 2: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments I've been thinking about what goals I wanted to set for my 2019 reading challenge and went with a more conservative figure this year. For the last several years I've set a goal of 50 books, and I never make it. As much as I'd love to, it's just not in line with my reading pace and I end up stressing more about trying to finish books than just enjoy them. So my goal this year will be a more modest 20 books, knowing several will bet 700+ pages, and at least one that is 1000+.

In 2019, I have several lengthy reads lined up as I plan to make progress on the US Presidents challenge I've set for myself, which I am really looking forward too. This is a challenge that will carryover and take me several years to complete. I am hoping to read at least 5 presidential biographies in 2019.

message 3: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3791 comments 20 is a great goal! As you said, quality is more important than quantity :) Good luck and happy reading!

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments Ilona wrote: "20 is a great goal! As you said, quality is more important than quantity :) Good luck and happy reading!"

Thanks!

message 5: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 1. Fear Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward - Fear:Trump in the White House- Bob Woodward

This was ok. I think maybe the large amount of dialogue, well, makes me take the book with a grain of salt. Time will definitely tell how accurate it ends up being, and reading this even just a few months after it was published, most of the players in the book have been fired or resigned. It's an interesting look into a chaotic White House administration, albeit on a brief period of time.

message 6: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 2. Bad Blood Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou - Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup- John Carreyrou

Talk about a Scam with a capital S! The author is an investigative journalist, and this book looks at Elizabeth Holmes and her startup Theranos which was suppose to revolutionize blood testing. Holmes swindled major donors and companies into believing she had developed a groundbreaking device. It's astounding how she was able to scam her way as far as she did. It's a fast and interesting read.

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - The Book Thief- Markus Zusak

message 8: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 4. Hunger A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay -Hunger- Roxane Gay

I read this for my non-fiction book club.

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 5. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow - Alexander Hamilton- Ron Chernow

This was the first book by Chernow that I have read and I enjoyed his writing style. I was really looking forward to reading Hamilton (I am a bit sad I've finished!), and have 2 other Chernow books on my TBR list (Washington and Grant) that I'm excited to get to.

message 10: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 6. Witness to the Revolution Radicals, Resisters, Vets, Hippies, and the Year America Lost Its Mind and Found Its Soul by Clara Bingham - Witness to the Revolution: Radicals, Resisters, Vets, Hippies, and the Year America Lost Its Mind and Found Its Soul- Clara Bingham

message 11: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3791 comments Looks like your challenge is going well! What did you think of The Book Thief? - It's one of my favourites :)

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 7. What the Eyes Don't See A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City by Mona Hanna-Attisha - What the Eyes Don't See- Mona Hanna-Attisha

message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments Ilona wrote: "Looks like your challenge is going well! What did you think of The Book Thief? - It's one of my favourites :)"

I liked it a lot! It was very moving, and I thought it was told from an interesting perspective

message 14: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 8. Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach - Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers- Mary Roach

message 15: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 9. FDR by Jean Edward Smith FDR- Jean Edward Smith

message 16: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 10. The Matriarch Barbara Bush and the Making of an American Dynasty by Susan Page The Matriarch: Barbara Bush and the Making of an American Dynasty- Susan Page

message 17: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 11. Under Fire An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North by Oliver North Under Fire: An American Story- Oliver North

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 12. Bush by Jean Edward Smith - Bush- Jean Edward Smith

message 19: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 13. Becoming by Michelle Obama Becoming- Michelle Obama

message 20: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 14. The Man Who Loved Books Too Much The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession- Allison Hoover Bartlett

message 21: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 15. The Hill to Die on The Battle for Congress and the Future of Trump's America by Jake Sherman - The Hill To Die On: The Battle for Congress and the Future of Trump's America- Jake Sherman and Anna Palmer

message 22: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments Halfway through the year! I'm surprisingly ahead of where I need to be to reach my goal. I think every year to date I've been behind . One of my goals for the second half of the year is to not buy any new books and to read whats on my physical TBR shelf. I have wayyyy to many and need to work my way through them.

message 23: by Casey (last edited Jul 06, 2019 11:25AM) (new)

Casey | 110 comments 16. There There by Tommy Orange There There- Tommy Orange

message 24: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 17. The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis - The Fifth Risk- Michael Lewis

message 25: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 18. Hey Rube Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness Modern History from the ESPN.com Sports Desk by Hunter S. Thompson - Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness: Modern History from the ESPN.com Sports Desk- Hunter S. Thompson

This was a fairly short/easy read, but easily will rank as one of my least favorite HST books I've read.

message 26: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3791 comments Casey wrote: "Halfway through the year! I'm surprisingly ahead of where I need to be to reach my goal. I think every year to date I've been behind . One of my goals for the second half of the year is to not buy ..."

Congrats on your progress!

message 27: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 19. Dark Tide The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 by Stephen Puleo Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919- Stephen Puleo

message 28: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 20. Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher - Wishful Drinking- Carrie Fisher

This competes my initial challenge of 20 books! So now I'll just see how many I get through in the next few months.

message 29: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 21. Ghost Wars The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001 by Steve Coll -Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan and bin Laden from the Soviet Invasion to September 10,2001- Steve Coll

message 30: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 22. Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher - Shockaholic- Carrie Fisher

message 31: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 23. The Road to Character by David Brooks - The Road to Character- David Brooks

message 32: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 24. Lady First The World of First Lady Sarah Polk by Amy S. Greenberg Lady First: The World of First Lady Sarah Polk- Amy S. Greenberg

message 33: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 25. The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18) by James Patterson - The 18th Abduction- James Patterson

message 34: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 26. Benjamin Franklin An American Life by Walter Isaacson -Benjamin Franklin: An American Life- Walter Isaacson

message 35: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 27. Brain on Fire My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan - Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness- Susannah Cahalan

message 36: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 28. Directorate S The C.I.A. and America's Secret Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Steve Coll - Directorate S: The C.I.A. and America's Secret Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan- Steve Coll

message 37: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 29. Stevie Nicks Visions, Dreams & Rumors by Zoë Howe - Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams & Rumors- Zoe Howe

message 38: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3791 comments A bit late, but congrats on reaching your goal this year :)

message 39: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 30. The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6) by David Lagercrantz - The Girl Who Lived Twice- David Lagercrantz

31. Lincoln by David Herbert Donald - Lincoln- David Herbert Donald

message 40: by Casey (new)

Casey | 110 comments 32. Cutting School Privatization, Segregation, and the End of Public Education by Noliwe Rooks - Cutting School: Privatization, Segregation, and the End of Public Education- Noliwe Rooks

This will be my last book of 2019! I surpassed by goal of 20 and finished with 32. Only read 3 of the 5 presidential bios I was hoping to get to but I'm really happy with what I read overall!