Play Book Tag discussion

The Christmas Key (Twilight, Texas #9)
This topic is about The Christmas Key
Archive: Other Books > The Christmas Key by Lori Wilde -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 08, 2018 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments The Christmas Key by Lori Wilde
4 stars

I guess I will start with a mini-recap. As if the individual plot of these books really makes a difference.

Mark was injured in Afghanistan on Christmas Day and blames himself for the death of fellow soldiers. After extensive rehab--both mentally and physically--he goes in search of the family of one of his fallen brothers in an attempt to find forgiveness and absolution. But when he gets to the tiny Texas town of Twilight (damn, I love a good alliteration) he finds himself face-to-face with a woman he dreamed above the Christmas before. Small wrinkle: she is the sister of his fellow fallen soldier, Naomi.

Who wants to bet that the spirit of Christmas brings them together so that love heals both of their wounded hearts?!

Okay, on to my new favorite feature of these reviews: my rant about the sex.

****You have been warned if you want to stop reading***

In my last review, I railed against the oral sex virgin trope. This time, the author really doubled down and not only had Naomi ever been gone down on--despite being in an ELEVEN YEAR relationship--she had never had an orgasm.

Okay, first things first. Naomi had WANTED her previous boyfriend to perform oral sex, but he told her it wasn't really his thing. Look, I am all about couples doing in private what they want, especially when they openly communicate about it and mutually decide what is and is not going to happen in bed. This could include adventurous things that require a safe word all the way down to agreeing to missionary-only. But if you WANT something in your relationship and the other person just flippantly shuts you down then shame on both of you.

Next: Naomi was 27 and never had an orgasm. Like not just never had one with her boyfriend of 11 years, but had never had one at all. Not even by herself. Quite honestly, I think that if that were truly the case, that your body would be in danger of just having spontaneous nocturnal orgasms. For real. This is a thing, you can look it up. But google smartly and with care.

Finally, Naomi was the preacher's daughter. Complete with gold cross necklace. And Mark was living in the rectory. Compete with Jesus paining on the wall It was a little awkward at times. Was it supposed to add a sense of the forbidden? Even I am not such a heathen as to get it on at a church under a painting of Jesus. You are just asking for everlasting flames.

But, despite the fact that my feminism is pushing back to the surface a bit, especially with these stereotypical female sex tropes, I actually liked the book (Back, you feminism! Back, I say!) I liked Mark. I liked Naomi. And I liked Twilight, Texas. I thought Mark's story from the war was heart-wrenching and, while it definitely told the less heavy side of PTSS, it was a reminder of what too many people deal with.

Bottom line: I am still not sick of cheesy Christmas romances yet! And I am moving on to the next one!

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Ok-pushed my dinner aside, and laughed until I hurt-you a natural at this girl!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Joanne wrote: "Ok-pushed my dinner aside, and laughed until I hurt-you a natural at this girl!"

I can rant about stereotypical sex depictions FOREVER! In fact, I went out with some friends last night and we got into a huge conversation about it. We laughed A LOT, and maybe made a few guys in the group feel a bit uncomfortable but I think they were taking mental notes! lol

message 4: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6336 comments 😂😂😂
😂😂😂😂!

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2220 comments You *maybe* made a few guys feel a bit uncomfortable?? 😂😂

My ribs are not going to recover in a hurry ...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Two of the guys are gay. One was completely at a loss and the other told hilarious stories of a couple women from college 😂

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2762 comments I will hate it when you stop reading these books. What am I going to do for a laugh?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my gosh, Nicole! I have been off of here for over a day due to Hanukkah and life being crazy. I am still laughing at your review!!! I truly cannot stop laughing my $#% off!! First, I absolutely love how much you love these cheesy, Christmas books. Since this is my first year on here, this is obviously my first experience with your enthusiasm.
Secondly, when you put a warning up that only makes me want to continue. I was chuckling before the warning, now I am full on belly laughing with tears flowing down my face! THANK YOU!

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Jgrace wrote: "I will hate it when you stop reading these books. What am I going to do for a laugh?"

WHAT?? There are no "Spring/Fling" books like this??? if not Get writing Nicole! Waiting another year is not acceptable!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Christmas Key (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lori Wilde (other topics)