Play Book Tag discussion

Cowboy SEAL Christmas (Navy SEAL Cowboys, #3)
This topic is about Cowboy SEAL Christmas
Archive: Other Books > Cowboy SEAL Christmas by Nicole Helm -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 08, 2018 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Cowboy SEAL Christmas by Nicole Helm
3 stars

The cheesy Christmas romance novels just keep on rolling! And, I continue on in my cowboy theme this year as well.

Look, we all know the set up by now: guy, girl, a ranch, some friends, Christmas, some kind of obstacle to overcome. From there it is really just plug and play.

[Gabe] and [Monica] have started and live on [Revival Ranch], a therapy ranch for soldiers returning from war, with their friends [Jack and Rose] and [Alex and Becca]. [Christmas is approaching], and will the spirit of the season bring [Gabe and Monica] together to overcome [his lingering issues over his childhood] and her [overprotectiveness of her son following the death of her husband]? [Gabe, Alex, and Jack], after having served as SEAL's, help each other believe there are still reasons to hope, and love.

Seriously, I bet I can make that same write up work for my next cowboy Christmas read! lol. Challenge accepted.

***Fair warning to our modest PBTers who prefer not to read about sex. You should stop reading my review now. For everyone else, read on***

So, in my last couple of books, I ranted about the virgin trope. We had a female virgin, then a male virgin, and another book included people who had literally not had sex in a decade.

I have my issues with this. Not that there is anything wrong with saving yourself for marriage (though these people didn't do that, they just seemed to save themselves for hot sex with a totally ripped man. Actually, on reflection, nothing wrong with that either) or that there are not people out there who are virgins into their 30s, I just think it is not all that common. So, choosing it for a theme that appeals to a broad audience is just....off to me.

Maybe virgins are the target audience and I just tipped my hand that I am NOT a 36-year-old virgin.

Either way, this book (and the next book I am going to review) have waded into another confounding trope: women who are not virgins but have never experienced oral sex.

Now, I am sure this is also something that some women can relate to. I am sure that it is not unheard of for someone to have been previously married, but did not venture into this realm.

They have my sympathy.

But, aside from just this odd mentality that women should not want, ask for, or enjoy oral sex (you get yours, girl!), I think the part that really has me huffing out a feminist sigh is that this trope seems to be designed to appeal to MEN.

It seems like MEN would be the ones who would most want to be able to give a woman something that no other man had given her. And, if you eliminate the virgin trope, then oral sex it is. And, the double standard is just glaring. HE has gone down on women but wants to be the first to go down on this love of his life.

Yeah, okay.

Oh! And all of these women seemed to have performed oral sex on men in their past. Soooo, lots of giving and not receiving? I mean, I guess 'tis the season.

And, I already have my NEXT rant picked out for my next review (which I am writing as soon as I am done with this one).

So, the book was entertaining. I liked the greater cast of characters. But why can't we just have two characters who have a past sex life that they are not ashamed of/jealous of but still have great sex together?

That settles it: I am going to write a cheesy Christmas romance in my spare time. One that hurts my feminist heart a little less.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments Oh Nicole-I should have known not to be eating while reading this-green beans all over my screen! This review is a gem-are you posting these on your GR page? If not you should-ROFL

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments P.S.-told my daughter about your Cowboy's and just PM'd her this review-she is having a rough day and this should cheer her up

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Joanne wrote: "P.S.-told my daughter about your Cowboy's and just PM'd her this review-she is having a rough day and this should cheer her up"

Hahaha! I hope that the review brings a smile to her face!

I just got fired up when I hit my limit of these stereotypical female portrayals when it comes to sex. And I am just further confused because they seem to be stereotypes that appeal to and are furthered by men. And, it would seem, that women are the target audience! lol

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments Nicole R wrote: "Joanne wrote: "P.S.-told my daughter about your Cowboy's and just PM'd her this review-she is having a rough day and this should cheer her up"

Hahaha! I hope that the review brings a smile to her ..."

She just replied and said "pure gold the girl should do this for a living" (by the way she's a journalist!)

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments ROFL!!!! I'm just glad I don't eat in front of my computer or I might have choked or sprayed the screen, or something! Keep writing these reviews Nicole, we are all eagerly awaiting the next one!

message 7: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 08, 2018 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments annapi wrote: "ROFL!!!! I'm just glad I don't eat in front of my computer or I might have choked or sprayed the screen, or something! Keep writing these reviews Nicole, we are all eagerly awaiting the next one!"

Ha! I am glad that people are reading them and enjoying them! I will try and make my next review less sex-focused.

I think I was just in a snit because my last four books had the progression of female virgin, male virgin, no oral sex, then no orgasm.

It was just too much for me to brush under the rug!

message 8: by annapi (last edited Dec 08, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

annapi | 5068 comments Nicole R wrote: "I will try and make my next review less sex-focused...."

NO!! Why fix something that ain't broke?! :))

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments annapi wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I will try and make my next review less sex-focused...."

NO!! Why fix something that ain't broke?! :))"

Well, my next book is a regency romance, and they are usually stuffed full of 18-year old versions who are deflowered by 30-year-old rogues, so we will see what happens ;)

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments Nicole R wrote: "annapi wrote: "ROFL!!!! I'm just glad I don't eat in front of my computer or I might have choked or sprayed the screen, or something! Keep writing these reviews Nicole, we are all eagerly awaiting ..."

Agreed!-continue your fan girls love it!

message 11: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments Ok so now there is coffee on my phone screen. Giving thanks to any higher power that will listen that I was no longer in the café.

Ladies, the hunt is obviously on to find a Christmas romance for Nicole, featuring a non-virgin male cowboy who has never experienced oral sex before ... Joanne, check that library sale box again, will you?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Hahaha! I just want everyone to have a regular past that they are comfortable with and is realistic for people in their mid 30s! Lol

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

KateNZ wrote: "Ok so now there is coffee on my phone screen. Giving thanks to any higher power that will listen that I was no longer in the café.

Ladies, the hunt is obviously on to find a Christmas romance for..."

Again!! Do all these cheesy, Christmas stories have sex?! I am with you girl on too much giving and no receiving. Where is the Christmas spirit here?!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Hahaha! No, not all cheesy Christmas romance books have sex. And I will eventually get to some that likely will not. (Can’t read the steamy books with suggestive covers at home where my pops can see them. He thinks I am prefect and innocent and I don’t want to ruin that illusion 😂)

But hey, no shame from me in preferring a little steamy action in my holiday books! Total personal preference.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole R wrote: "Hahaha! No, not all cheesy Christmas romance books have sex. And I will eventually get to some that likely will not. (Can’t read the steamy books with suggestive covers at home where my pops can se..."

Oh no, it's all good! You are just cracking me up!! I am fully enjoying your reviews.:)

message 16: by Joanne (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments KateNZ wrote: "Ok so now there is coffee on my phone screen. Giving thanks to any higher power that will listen that I was no longer in the café.

Ladies, the hunt is obviously on to find a Christmas romance for

LMAO..........heading over to sort books today, will keep my eye out! I

I have an idea for a new award-"Best(Or Worst?) Character flaw with regards to Sex!"

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments Rachel wrote: "KateNZ wrote: "Ok so now there is coffee on my phone screen. Giving thanks to any higher power that will listen that I was no longer in the café.

Ladies, the hunt is obviously on to find a Christ..."

😂😂😂

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7864 comments Nicole R wrote: "annapi wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I will try and make my next review less sex-focused...."

NO!! Why fix something that ain't broke?! :))"

Well, my next book is a regency romance, and they are usual..."

Gads, I hope this is(isn't?? so confused now what's PC) one that I sent you!