Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

The Bachelor Challenge Archive > The Bachelor Team Challenge - Duke or Dandy, We Love Our Man Candy (6)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 375 (375 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2018 09:41PM) (new)

MountainKat | 20303 comments 🌹The Bachelor Team Challenge🌹
🌹Theme - Book Boyfriends🌹

Team 6 Members:

✓ Captain - Katie

Amanda D.
Elena(Private)
Karen
Shan ~ A ~
Trio

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

Information required when posting your completion/s:

Date Task
Book/cover link
Page numbers
How book qualified, with links or cover as necessary.
Dated Completed with Rating.
If this is your second (or more) book for the task, also include that information.

Please include only this information. A small review may be included if desired, but is not required. No other discussion allowed though.

Although you will not need to make selection posts like in the PtP, your teammates might like ideas for what to read so sharing what you're reading could be very helpful. If you have any question if your book qualifies, it would be better to find out before you read it - ask your teammates or in the Q&A/Announcement thread.

Books must be 90 pages and MPG (Main Page Genre) Romance. Contemporary Romance, Historical Romance, Paranormal Romance or similar is acceptable, but it must be romance. Audiobooks and rereads are ok. Books can only be read once per person during the challenge even if it fits multiple categories. The same book can be read by teammates though. Once the task for the date is announced, you may not tag a book so that it fits or edit any lists - this must be done before the date begins.

message 3: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

The dates will begin on Saturdays at 6 PM EST, at that time the task for each date will be announced. Books must be completed and posted by the following Friday at Midnight EST, except when 'Visiting the Family' when you will have until the second Friday. Roses will be awarded before the next date begins. Each date we will be working towards spelling out B-A-C-H-E-L-O-R. The potential tasks for each letter will be posted in advance, but you will not know which task will be used until the date begins.

Roses are earned by:
🌹 The first rose per team is earned for reading 4 books fitting the task during the date.
Bonus roses may be earned by:
🌹 The team that finishes 4 books and posts in the Q&A/Announcement thread first wins a bonus rose. Note, posting is required to earn this rose.
🌹 Teams with each member completing the task (with a minimum of 6 books read) earn an additional rose.
🌹 Teams finishing 8+ books during the date win an additional rose.

Teams will not be eliminated even if they earn no roses, they will have a chance to catch up by earning additional roses on other dates. Players will be eliminated if they do not complete the task on two consecutive dates. Eliminated players will not be replaced. Remember, players are allowed to read multiple books for a given date in order to earn bonuses and/or to make up for teammates who do not read their book or who have been eliminated.

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

Captains, please reserve a few spaces for tracking.

Introduce yourselves to your teammates. Let then know where you are from, what your interests are in life and in books! Consider friending each other, that makes it easier to follow the goings on.

Your first task as a team is to come up with a team name. The theme if 'Book Boyfriend' and your team name should relate to that. Captains, please PM me your team name when you have decided.

message 5: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20303 comments I will be tracking each team's completions and using the captains' tracking to confirm before awarding roses at the end of each date.

message 6: by Katie (last edited Dec 22, 2018 04:47PM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments IMPORTANT INFO

*Books must be 90 pages min.
*Books must be MPG Romance
*When posting your completion, please use this format:
Date Task
Book/cover link
Page numbers
How book qualified, with links or cover as necessary.
Dated Completed with Rating.
If this is your second (or more) book for the task, also include that information.

1. The team that finishes 4 books and posts in the Q&A/Announcement thread first wins a bonus rose.

The team captain DOES NOT need to be the one who posts the completion. If you are the 4th reader to complete your book and no other team has already claimed this rose, please post in the Q&A/Announcement thread immediately after posting your completion here.

2. Qualification

Please DO NOT use listopias as book qualification. Stick to tags and in blurb/precis.

3. Editing Completion Posts

Please DO NOT edit completion posts after the due date. Posts that are edited for any reason will be automatically disqualified.

message 7: by Katie (last edited Feb 09, 2019 03:22PM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Weekly Calls

Week 1: B is for Bank
Read a book with a wealthy character, in précis or tagged to describe.
Due: Friday, Dec. 21 at midnight EST

Week 2: A is for Another
Read a book in a series longer than a trilogy (at least 4 books). This must be 4 primary books, you can read any book in the series including novellas if they are 90+ pages.
Due: Friday, Jan. 4 at midnight EST

Week 3: C is for Color
Read a book with at least 4 colors on the cover.
Due: Friday, Jan. 11 at midnight EST

Week 4: H is for Holiday
Read a holiday book.
Due: Friday, Jan. 18 at midnight EST

Week 5: E is for Enjoyed
Read a book with an average rating of 4.0 or higher.
Due: Friday, Jan. 25 at midnight EST

Week 6: L is for Labor
Read a book with a blue collar worker.
Due: Friday, Feb. 1 at midnight EST

Week 7: O is for October
Read a book with any edition pub. in October.
Due: Friday, Feb. 8 at midnight EST

Week 8: R is for Remedy
Read a book with doctor, medical, illness or injury.
Due: Friday, Feb. 15 at midnight EST

message 8: by Katie (last edited Jan 19, 2019 04:33PM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Tracking

Week 1: B is for Bank
(view spoiler)

The Wrong Billionaire's Bed (Billionaire Boys Club, #3) by Jessica Clare Dirty Billionaire (The Dirty Billionaire Trilogy, #1) by Meghan March Dirty Pleasures (The Dirty Billionaire Trilogy, #2) by Meghan March Shacking Up (Shacking Up, #1) by Helena Hunting Love, Sincerely, Yours by Sara Ney Wyoming Winter (Wyoming Men #7; Long, Tall Texans #14.5) by Diana Palmer In Bed With the Billionaire (Nine Circles, #5) by Jackie Ashenden Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1) by Marie Sexton Samson's Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires, #1) by Tina Folsom

Week 2: A is for Another
(view spoiler)

A Brother's Honor (The Grangers, #1) by Brenda Jackson Snow Angel Cove (Haven Point, #1) by RaeAnne Thayne Prized Possession (Up-Ending Tad A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #4) by Kora Knight Yellowstone Awakening (Yellowstone Romance, #3) by Peggy L. Henderson Ride Steady (Chaos, #3) by Kristen Ashley When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3) by Tessa Dare Black Wings (Black Wings, #1) by Christina Henry Yield (Bay Area Professionals #5) by Mickie B. Ashling

Week 3: C is for Color
(view spoiler)

Rocky Mountain Heat (Six Pack Ranch #1, Rocky Mountain House #1) by Vivian Arend Extreme Exposure (I-Team, #1) by Pamela Clare Secret in Houston (Lone Star Brothers #3) by Susi Hawke Kiss Me Slowly by Romeo Alexander Never Seduce a Scoundrel (School For Heiresses, #1) by Sabrina Jeffries Miss Fix-It by Emma Hart Second Hand (Tucker Springs, #2) by Marie Sexton MatchUp by Lee Child The Pride of Jared MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #2) by Nora Roberts The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand The Heart of Devin MacKade (The MacKade Brothers, #3) by Nora Roberts

Week 4: H is for Holiday
(view spoiler)

Her Halloween Treat (Men at Work, #1) by Tiffany Reisz Rebound Remedy by Christine d'Abo Risky Play (Red Card, #1) by Rachel Van Dyken Under the Mistletoe with Me (With Me in Seattle, #1.5) by Kristen Proby A Season of Love The Meddling Duke Collection by Christi Caldwell Leashes, Ball Gags, and Daddies by M.A. Innes A Marquess for Christmas (Scandalous Seasons, #5) by Christi Caldwell Kidnapped for Christmas by Evangeline Anderson The Billionaire's Christmas (The Sinclairs, #0.5) by J.S. Scott

message 9: by Katie (last edited Feb 14, 2019 06:35AM) (new)

message 10: by Katie (last edited Dec 09, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Hi team!

I'm Katie. I'm currently living in Pittsburgh, PA. I've got 2 little kids who take up a lot of my time (and rightly so! :P), but I'm a long time challenge addict and couldn't resist the pull of this one. :) I read mostly, if not entirely, romance. The last non-romance that I read was The Martian, which I LOVED.

Anybody have any good ideas for a team name that goes with this challenge's "Book Boyfriend" theme? I'm pretty terrible with team names, so suggestions are very welcome!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Hi Katie!

I'm so excited for this challenge. I'm a romance novel book reviewer and I'm hoping this will help me knock some books off my personal TBR pile instead of reading stuff for "work." Though to be honest, it's not that much of a hardship!

My favorite book of the year has been The Kiss Quotient. I've read it three times already and I'm eagerly awaiting the next one!

I'll ruminate on a team name! One of my friends writes Bachelor recaps, so I may turn to her for inspiration.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Yes! The Kiss Quotient was so amazing! I can't wait for the next one either. :)

message 13: by Trio (new)

Trio | 1849 comments hi y'all, I'm excited for this challenge too, it sounds like fun!

I live in NYC and my kids are older - my boys are 23, 21 and my youngest is a girl who is 16, but believe it or not they still take up a ton of time lol!

I'm a contributor for an LGBTQ blog called Kimmers Erotic Book Banter. I mostly read MM but occasionally FF and MF romance too... we're in the thick of the Christmas reviews so I'm looking forward to reading some non-holiday stories ;)

I'll start thinking of names asap.

message 14: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1280 comments Hi everyone! I live in Chicago and have 3 grown sons and 2 DILs. I work part time from home. My oldest son and I have worked together writing insurance for over 20 years. No grandchildren... :-( but I'm still hoping! LOL

I read all kinds of romance; romantic suspense, menage, erotica, bdsm, mm and, last but not least, sweet romance.

I'm horrible at coming up with names!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Hi everyone!

Yeah, I suppose I should have said that I read all types of romance. I used to be one of the mods of the m/m romance group here on goodreads. I stopped a few years ago when I had my 1st kid. There just weren't enough hours in the day anymore. :)

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments What have been your favorite reads of the year?

We know that Amanda and I loved The Kiss Quotient. How about the rest of you? Worst book?

message 17: by Trio (last edited Dec 09, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

Trio | 1849 comments Ooooh good question and what a fun way to get to know each other. I think my favorites are:

best sweet romance: Rend (Riven, #2) by Roan Parrish
favorite new (to me) authors: Sara Dobie Bauer and Simon Strange
favorite debut author: Adara Wolf
best series: Slow Heat (Heat of Love, #1) by Leta Blake and Alpha Heat (Heat of Love #2) by Leta Blake
best audiobook: Sweet Thing (Pretty Boy #2) by Isobel Starling performed by Gary Furlong
book of the year: Hush (The Manse, #4) by Lynn Kelling

but I might change my mind a few more times lol

message 18: by Karen ♐ (last edited Dec 09, 2018 11:17PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1280 comments I have loved any audiobook narrated by Sebastian York! I've had quite a few favorite series this year...I'm in a BR for the In Death series by J. D. Robb...love all the books I've read so far. A favorite historical romance series was McKettricks - High Country Bride (McKettricks, #1) by Linda Lael Miller . Biker's - anything written by Susan Fanetti - Move the Sun (Signal Bend, #1) by Susan Fanetti Crash (Brazen Bulls MC, #1) by Susan Fanetti

My least favorite book this year was Feels Like the First Time (True Love Story, #1) by Shawn Inmon

message 19: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments Hi all!

Shan here.

I'm from Louisiana, work full time, have 4 kids (23, 18, 16, 13), married (17 yrs), reader of books (which goes w/o saying), and challenge addict.

I love romance. ALMOST any sub-genre, the steamier the better, but I can do sweet. I also read mystery/thriller/suspense, urban fantasy/paranormal, bio/autobio, etc..

Most genres, outside of romance, I have to be in the mood for before reading.

One of my favorite reads this year has been Hate Notes by Vi Keeland . I love romcoms if a book is sexy and funny then I am pretty much all in.

message 20: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments Also, no team name ideas

message 21: by Elena (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:34PM) (new)

Elena | 101 comments Hi everyone!!
I'm Elena! I live in Toronto (Canada) ... I'm married with two kids (practically babies, lol... Son is 4, daughter is 1.5) ... I work full time and fight hard to squeeze in my reading time! I succeed though, because I listen to audiobooks any chance I can get!!

I'm a romance novel addict, but I will pretty much read anything ... Just like Shan, I need to be in the mood for a particular genre in order to really get into it, but when it comes to romance - that I can read all day, any day !!

I am a sucker for older ones by Jude Deveraux and Judith McNaught ... but I like new, steamier stuff , too !

Name for the team ? No clue ... could we be the Bachelorettes or is that way too corny ?

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Not a bad suggestion, Elena! My only suggestion so far is Darcy is Overrated

I also realized that I'm the only one without kids! I live in Boston and I have a senior Maine Coon mix named Linus.

I've been on a historical romance hiatus for awhile, though I recently loved A Notorious Vow. But I'll pretty much read anything. I do have a soft spot for paranormal/scifi/fantasy romances, and I wish there were more of the latter two.

I have Hate Notes on my Kindle, Shan, and it's nice to hear it was a good read!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Yay! We're all here! :) I'm not particular about names (just can't come up with them myself :P), so either one of those would work for me.

Favorite books for me this year are...

The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1) by Helen Hoang Of Last Resort (Princes of the Blood, #1) by Megan Derr Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5) by Ilona Andrews

The best one, though, was Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews . It was a satisfying ending to an amazing series.

As for the bad ones...I've done a few challenges this year that required some bad reading, so there are just too many to share here.

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments So, to go with the theme, who's your favorite book boyfriend?

I think I'd have to choose Curran (Kate Daniels series).

message 25: by Amanda (last edited Dec 10, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments It's so hard to just pick one!

I loved Thronos from Dark Skye and I'd been waiting for that book for YEARS! Or Simon from The Others series by Anne Bishop.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Those are both excellent choices, Amanda! The Others is one of my absolute favorite series. :)

message 27: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments My all time favorite book boyfriends are Jerricho Barons and Any and all of Kristen Ashley's men: mainly Lee Nightingale, all of the others are pretty much right up there.

message 28: by Trio (new)

Trio | 1849 comments ha I think the books I read are too dark to actually want any of the characters to be my boyfriend lol.

for names I was wondering about something like

Duke or Dandy, We Love Our Man Candy

Men, Men, Men, Let's Do It Again!

The Boyfriend Trend

ugh I'll try to think of some more... I'm not 100% sure what the name should incorporate?

message 29: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1280 comments My favorite book boyfriend has to be Roarke from the In Death series.

message 30: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments Duke or Dandy, We Love Our Man Candy

This one is really catchy

message 31: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1280 comments Shan ~ A ~ wrote: "Duke or Dandy, We Love Our Man Candy

This one is really catchy"

I like that one too...

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Happy to go with that one, as well!

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments I'll wait to see if Elena stops in today with input on the team name. Sounds like we have a winner, though. :)

Barrons, any of the Hot Bunch (but especially Lee), and Roarke are all great choices. It really is hard to narrow it down to one, huh?

message 34: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20303 comments You all are right on track - just need a team name and you are ready to go!

message 35: by Elena (new)

Elena | 101 comments Sure , i'm good with Duke or Dandy, We Love Our Man Candy :)

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Ok, I'll let Kat know when I get back. Gotta drop my kid off at preschool and make a quick stop at the grocery store first. :)

message 37: by Elena (new)

Elena | 101 comments I hate how real life gets in the way of reading, right ????
:(

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments Lol! Right.

I'll post our team name in the main thread. You guys excited to get started?

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2077 comments FYI

I just saw in the Q&A that captains DO NOT have to be the ones who post in that thread when the 1st 4 books are completed/week. So, whoever finishes that 4th book should post there immediately after posting their completion here in this thread.

If another team has already claimed that extra rose, then no need to post.

I will include this info, other important announcements and links in Msg. 6 of this thread. :)

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Katie wrote: "Lol! Right.

I'll post our team name in the main thread. You guys excited to get started?"

Very! I've been holding off starting anything substantial until the challenge begins.

message 41: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1280 comments I'm trying to finish some shorter books that I know will be done before Saturday.

message 42: by Trio (new)

Trio | 1849 comments I'm trying to read some shorter ones right now too Karen... I have 14 books to go to finish my GR challenge and I hate to loose!

message 43: by Elena (new)

Elena | 101 comments Trio wrote: "I'm trying to read some shorter ones right now too Karen... I have 14 books to go to finish my GR challenge and I hate to loose!"

I know - I hate unfinished challenges !!! I have 19 books to go until end of the year and i'm like "NOOOOOO!!! Must finish! MUST FINISH!!!" So I listen to audio books like crazy 24/7 now!!!
:)

message 44: by Trio (new)

Trio | 1849 comments I just bought a few really short audio books in the sale 🤣

message 45: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments Trio wrote: "I just bought a few really short audio books in the sale 🤣"

What sale?

message 46: by Trio (new)

Trio | 1849 comments the Audible sale? Members were getting a good discount, but since most of the books on my wish list are whispersynced and that's cheaper than the discount...

I did find a few though - and grabbed a bunch of really short ones 1 - 2 hours long.

message 47: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments Trio wrote: "the Audible sale? Members were getting a good discount, but since most of the books on my wish list are whispersynced and that's cheaper than the discount...

I did find a few though - and grabbed ..."

Gotcha!! The only thing I do on audible right now is the Romance Package.

message 48: by Trio (new)

Trio | 1849 comments I've only got 11 more books to go right now and I'm almost done with 2, so I'm staying positive that I'll finish my 2018 challenge goal :) yay!

message 49: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 979 comments How many books did you all pledge for the year?

I pledged 200, but so far have done 250 (which is the amount that I did last year). I went down because I thought I would be doing less reading this year.

message 50: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1280 comments Shan ~ A ~ wrote: "Trio wrote: "the Audible sale? Members were getting a good discount, but since most of the books on my wish list are whispersynced and that's cheaper than the discount...

I did find a few though -..."

I always bought the largest package for Audible but I might lower it this year since I've been getting most of mine from Audible Romance.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8