Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > January 2019 INDIE Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2341 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for INDIE category for January 2019.

INDIE books are newer, edgier books where the author has to do it all. Books that have been published by a micropress that helps you upload the thing, but YOU otherwise do the work and marketing are okay, or if you got your backlist back, still qualify. They need to be currently in print on more than a single platform. That is, not exclusively on Amazon, but it's ok if they are only available as ebooks. They must be Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

Recent nominations that were seconded, so it would be good to nominate again:
Temporary Duty by Ric Locke
The Marann by Christie Meierz
A.I. Insurrection by Michael Poeltl
The Scent of Metal by Sabrina Chase
Rebirth: Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga by Michael Brachman

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I nominate Temporary Duty by Ric Locke Temporary Duty by Ric Locke. Aliens, military, but a couple of enlisted men as the point of view, who do a lot better interacting with the aliens than the officers do. I’ve reread this several times.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 5 comments OK, I would like to throw my own book into the hat for consideration: The Ashes of Home, by Ian S. Bott
The Ashes of Home by Ian S. Bott

message 4: by Michael (last edited Dec 15, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Michael Brachman | 9 comments My book, Rebirth: Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga was nominated and seconded last month. I would love it if you would add it to the mix for January. Thanks.

P.S. Rebirth is available in ebook on all platforms, paperback and audiobook.
Rebirth Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga by Michael Brachman Rebirth Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga by Michael Brachman Rebirth Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga by Michael Brachman

message 6: by Michael (last edited Dec 17, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

Michael Poeltl (mikepoeltl) A.I. Insurrection was seconded last month, and just in time for book 2, and likely the end of the series; which will be available very early 2019. Michael Poeltl

message 7: by Jared (new)

Jared Austin (taveren28) | 8 comments Does this group read YA SciFi? Also, is it considered acceptable to nominate your own indie novel here? I wanted to add my own, which was published a few months ago, but then a notice popped up saying no self promotion and I didn't want to upset the group.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Yes we read YA too. It’s okay to nominate your own book on a nomination thread. The self promotion warning is for posting about your own books outside of nomination threads and the designated self promotion section of the discussions.

message 10: by Jared (new)

Jared Austin (taveren28) | 8 comments Ok great! I'm new to the group, so still learning.

Space City is my debut novel. It was released a few months ago and is a YA SciFi novel.

Thanks for consideration! Jared

message 11: by Jared (new)

Jared Austin (taveren28) | 8 comments I second Temporary Duty.

I also think Rebirth: Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga would be an exciting read.

message 12: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Temporary Duty by Ric Locke Temporary Duty by Ric Locke. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Jared.
The Ashes of Home by Ian S. Bott The Ashes of Home by Ian S. Bott. Nominated by Ian. Awaiting seconds.
Rebirth Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga by Michael Brachman Rebirth: Book 1 of The Rome's Revolution Saga by Michael Brachman. Nominated by Michael B. Seconded by Adrian and Jared.
Discovery by Karina Lumbert Fabian Discovery by Karina Lumbert Fabian. Nominated by Mary. Awaiting seconds.
A.I. Insurrection by Michael Poeltl A.I. Insurrection by Michael Poeltl. Nominated by Michael P. Awaiting seconds.
Space City (Space City #1) by Jared Austin Space City by Jared Austin. Nominated by Jared. Awaiting seconds.

I have yet to check for availability from multiple vendors. If you spot one that is only sold through Amazon let me know.

message 13: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. I count these seconds:
Temporary Duty 1
Rebirth 2

Rolling random numbers now.

message 14: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Dec 22, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

And the random numbers say Temporary Duty.

Those who want Rebirth, I encourage you to nominate it next month.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.