Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > January 2019 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2462 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for January 2019.

READER books need to be currently in print in both paperback and ebook, and readily available through most of the normal places to get books (both online and brick and mortar stores). They must be Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

Recently nominated and seconded, so would be good to nominate again:
Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Hellhole by Brian Herbert
Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon
The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Mcnelis | 27 comments I will go ahead and renominate Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel.

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I nominate The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1) by James H. Schmitz The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz. I’m about due to reread it. It’s in print both ebook and mass market paperback, as well as lots of various used editions. Classic space opera, including aliens, pirates, time travel, and a threat to most of the galaxy.

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally | 93 comments I nominate the new Peter F Hamilton's book, first of his new series Salvation.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 17 comments I also second Children of Time.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far
Children of Time (Children of Time #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Nominated by Patrick. Seconded by Jeffrey and Eric.
The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1) by James H. Schmitz The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz. Nominated by Teresa. Awaiting seconds.
Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1) by Peter F. Hamilton Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton. Nominated by Ally. Awaiting seconds.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Spence (saxman69) | 3 comments I will vote for Peter F. Hamilton's Salvation.

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I vote for Children of Time

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I vote for Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 589 comments I second Children of Time.

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard | 55 comments I’ll second Witches of Karres. Sounds good.

PS. After Night’s Dawn Trilogy under no circumstances would I start a series by Peter F. Hamilton until I had absolute assurance that it didn’t have such a horrible ending. Deus ex machina cop out. I’m still enraged years later. If you can’t finish a story don’t start it.

message 13: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 42 comments I second Children of Time

message 14: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far
Children of Time (Children of Time #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Nominated by Patrick. Seconded by Jeffrey and Eric, Samantha, Trike, and Adrian.
The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1) by James H. Schmitz The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Richard.
Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1) by Peter F. Hamilton Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton. Nominated by Ally. Seconded by Paul and Samantha.

message 15: by odedo1 (new)

odedo1 Audio book worm.  | 61 comments Children of time.

message 16: by odedo1 (new)

odedo1 Audio book worm.  | 61 comments Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton.

message 17: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. I count these seconds
Children of Time 6
Witches of Karres 1
Salvation 3

Rolling random numbers now.

message 18: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Random numbers say Children of Time

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.