Play Book Tag discussion

The Very Best Hanukkah Gift
This topic is about The Very Best Hanukkah Gift
Archive: Other Books > The very best hanukkah gift - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8873 comments Cross posted with fall flurries! Happy Chanukah everyone!

This is the best Chanukah chapter book for kids that I have ever read. Its actually so beautifully done!

The name of the title character is the same name as a kid my kid knows from Hebrew School - and guess what, the main character is 8, just like them. Spent a frustrating ten minutes in vain trying to find the family to catch up with them tomorrow, to give them the book on the last day of Chanukah.

Its really just so sweet - filled with everything right.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so glad you are posting these. I am purchasing these on Kindle for my best friend's little grandson that is turning 1 soon. They live in Kenya, and while they are not Jewish I bought her a Menorah that she is lighting every night with him and I sent them back home with some books. I've been adding these as well and she is reading them to him.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8873 comments Just you wait! In a few days Cameron and I are starting on Christmas! It’s going to be a very full fall flurries for me, Thanks to my eight-year-old!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Just you wait! In a few days Cameron and I are starting on Christmas! It’s going to be a very full fall flurries for me, Thanks to my eight-year-old!"

I love it!

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7880 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm so glad you are posting these. I am purchasing these on Kindle for my best friend's little grandson that is turning 1 soon. They live in Kenya, and while they are not Jewish I bought her a Meno..."

So awesome that your friend does this(the menorah)-I wish I had grown up in a time when the sharing of other customs was so welcome! The first time I ever celebrated anything besides Christmas I was in my mid-twenties and an African American gal I worked with invited her work-mates to a Kwanzaa Celebration! It was so special, and I have never forgotten it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I'm so glad you are posting these. I am purchasing these on Kindle for my best friend's little grandson that is turning 1 soon. They live in Kenya, and while they are not Jewish I bo..."

I think sharing others customs is a good thing. Regardless of what you believe it is good to have a better understanding.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8873 comments We are having a bunch of non-Jewish families over for the last night of Chanukah tonight. Plus I went into the school to talk to the kids about how all the holidays are connected by light, and that each of us has an inextinguishable flame inside that keeps us going in times that feel hard. And about how we can increase each other’s flames rather than diminish them. And about who are lights to us. And who we can be lights to. Then I read two books that are on seeing light everywhere and that are about kindness and inclusivity. Then I passed our dreidels and we played, which was a hoot. And the kids got to keep them which is a nice non technology activity for a change. Glad that people liked my review.

I found the family with the kid whose name is the title character in the book and they are super excited for the gift. They are picking it up tonight, which really pleases me. Especially because the title of the book is the best Hanukkah gift. And for this kid it sort of is.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That is great Amy. The school I work at had the local Chabad come in to read books and teach the kids how to play dreidel with some of the Jewish children that go to the school. Along with the Christmas tree, there is a menorah that has been lit every day.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8873 comments I think it’s an important theme for everybody that no matter what you are going through that there is a small amount of light that pierced the darkness and changes everything. I also appreciate the idea that light begets light and it grows on itself. We could all use a little light these days. Night Eight? My favorite! The pinnacle of the holiday.