Play Book Tag discussion

The White Darkness
This topic is about The White Darkness
Archive: Other Books > The White Darkness Brilliant 5 stars(10 for the photos)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Dec 08, 2018 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7871 comments The White Darkness 5 stars(10 for the photos)!

This was a gem! A small book, that filled me with wonder. It will be in my top 10 this year, No wait-make that top 5-!

It is the story of Henry Worsely, a British Special Forces Officer. At a young age Worsely became obsessed with 19 century polar explorer Ernest Shackleton. Henry Worsely was related to one of Shackleton's men, Frank Worsely, had spent a fortune collecting artifacts from Shackleton's epic journeys. But he also spent his life modeling his military command on Shakleton's principles of leadership.

Henry dreamed of going to Antarctica, to re-trace Shakleton's steps, and
complete the trip that Shackleton turned back on(to save his men). In late 2004 Worsely and two other descendants of the Shackleton team began planning to make the trek in late 2008, in order to arrive at Shakleton's farthest point exactly 100 years later.

It is a story of courage, resilience and absolute loyalty to oneself and the team.

Now, to the photographs- Jaw dropping, stunning, showing the beauty and wonder of a place few get to see first hand in their lifetime.

I am a "Science For Dummies" type of gal, and in my non-fiction reading I expect to learn something new(whether science or not) so here I give you three Fun Facts that I learned:

Antartica is classified as a desert because there is so little precipitation!

The wind forms what is called sastrugi-Wind sculpted waves! As I read this part and looked at the picture I had only my dog for company-With no one else to show the picture to, I shared it with my Lola-it did not thrill her as much, go figure!

And finally, my favorite: In front of the research station at the South Pole
there is a metal rod, topped with a globe, it is used as a marker for The South Pole...where the Earth does not rotate! Sorry, I said I was a "dummie" gal, and I meant it-I had to no idea.

I hope I have peaked someone's interest here-this book is one that needs to be shared!

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6194 comments This looks like a great book. I like to save these for the middle of the summer, so I can feel cold when it is so hot out.!

KateNZ | 2503 comments Ooh there was an interview with the author about this on the radio yesterday morning

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...

The book sounds gorgeous. And as the PBT member closest to Antarctica, I’m honour bound to read it, right?!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7871 comments KateNZ wrote: "Ooh there was an interview with the author about this on the radio yesterday morning

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr......"

You betcha! Truly, I did think about you as I was reading! And thanks for the link! Can't get to it right now, but I will soon!

KateNZ | 2503 comments I would soooo love to go to Antarctica - but I am not a scientist of any type, let alone a relevant type, and tourism opportunities are rare (for very good ecological reasons). So my chances aren’t good.

message 6: by Joy D (new) - added it

Joy D | 3878 comments It didn't take much to convince me! I've added it. I have an entire shelf for "Extreme Cold" so this is right up my alley.

If you like non-fiction about exploration, I can also recommend another of David Grann's work: The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7871 comments Joy D wrote: "It didn't take much to convince me! I've added it. I have an entire shelf for "Extreme Cold" so this is right up my alley.

If you like non-fiction about exploration, I can also recommend another ..."

I have had that one on my TBR shelf for a while-going to try to fit it in to one of my 2019 challenges!