Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Blood Eagles 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 508 (508 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Edit** Julia is a new add due to her needing to be on Rob’s team**

Sir Anni
Aristea
Beste
Bill’s Sister
Julia
Hacen
Laura
Lundos
Petrik
Rob
Saar

message 2: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Welcome friends! I have high hopes for 2019!

message 3: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Thanks Margret! I'm very excited! :)

message 4: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments It's a little quiet here 😅

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7053 comments Mod
The silent assassins. Lol

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1632 comments They're probably reading already...

message 7: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "The silent assassins. Lol"

Well, that's not me, for sure 😅 But I will have my knifes ready nevertheless!

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7053 comments Mod
Haha

message 9: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Hi Anni! Glad you’re here!

message 10: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Margret wrote: "Welcome friends! I have high hopes for 2019!"

Let's have a look at the 2018 results:

Margret -- 246.2 (Leader)
Sir Anni -- 760 (Jaghut)
Aristea -- 356.1 (Raider)
Beste -- 995.4 (Eagle)
Bill’s Sister -- XXX (Wildcard)
Choko -- 1604.9 (Jaghut)
Julia -- 1481.9 (Eagle)
Hacen -- 497.5 (Eagle)
Laura -- 1366.4 (HoC)
Lundos -- 310.7 (HoC)
Petrik -- 883.2 (Raiders)
Rob -- 406.6 (Eagle)
Saar -- 177.6 (HoC)

4 Blood Eagle Alumni
2 Tome Raider
1 Jaghut Guardians
3 House of Chains
1 Wildcards

Total 2018 points of new team: 7481.6

Total points 2018 overall: 35,391.2
25% of 2018 points: 8,847.8

Editorial Comments: Margret has managed to assemble one of the most balanced teams of the season... 2-3 members from all 4 teams, and a Free Agent to boot... at the same time, these are top 2 scorers from most teams (Beste, Laura, Choko, Petrik)... this should be another strong year for the Blood Eagles (view spoiler)

This team seeks to benefit from the rules changes this year (33% BRs, 10% Challenges, 1.25x pages for non-audio), and also has some hidden points potential in Aristea, who didn't join until mid-February last year... (view spoiler)

House of Chains: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Jaghut Guardians: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Tome Raiders: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

EDIT: There's been a bit of a lineup shuffle, with Choko & Julia swapping between House of Chains & the Blood Eagles... this has disrupted what was once a balanced lineup of players from across the league last season, but in exchange Margret has picked up a Powerhouse Pageturner (view spoiler)...

message 11: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments I think my most fun thing about writing these, was being "secretly" biased towards my old and new teams :D

message 12: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Xoxo it was great to have you Iain! Thank you for helping our team so much while I’ve lost about 6 months of my life to dark times.

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Margret wrote: "Xoxo it was great to have you Iain! Thank you for helping our team so much while I’ve lost about 6 months of my life to dark times."

No problem... fiddling around on here is what keeps me sane half the time, myself...

message 14: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I’m just so glad I can concentrate enough to read again. I’ve missed reading every day so much

message 15: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Hope you're doing well, Margret ❤️

message 16: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Choko has been traded to House or Chains to allow Rob and Julia to be on the same team

message 17: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Thanks Siobhan! I’m doing really well, have been experiencing exceptional clarity for the last 3 weeks or so!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Hey guys! Nice to be here!

And thank you for having me Margret. :)

message 19: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Margret wrote: "Thanks Siobhan! I’m doing really well, have been experiencing exceptional clarity for the last 3 weeks or so!"

That's great to hear! :)

message 20: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments A much as I would enjoy it if you all keep referring to her as Bill’s sister her name is Jessica. Here’s her user page if you all want to harass her. 😁

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4...

I’ll break it to her that she isn’t on the winning team with me. Good luck with second place.

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "I’ll break it to her that she isn’t on the winning team with me. Good luck with second place. "

That's the spirit :)

message 22: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Ok. I guess I’ll introduce myself

My name is Margret, I’m 32 and have a hubby, two kids (boy and girl), two dogs and a cat. I am a mod here at FBR, and although I have been a tad quiet over the last 6 months or so I am doing very well now and am hoping to have a stellar reading year in 2019

I have a job working shift work in the Intensive Care Unit as a Respiratory Therapist. My profession includes resuscitation, caring for people on life support, and all that encompasses that.

My hobbies are reading, sewing, random acts of kindness, and hanging out with my kids.

message 23: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 08, 2018 11:04AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14944 comments Bill wrote: "A much as I would enjoy it if you all keep referring to her as Bill’s sister her name is Jessica. Here’s her user page if you all want to harass her. 😁

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4......"

I think we're going to need an initial... or something... cause there's already a Jessica and a Jess in the competition... or we could call her Jessica 3 :D

The formulas won't work with exact duplicate names...

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments You can use S.

message 25: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Margret wrote: "Ok. I guess I’ll introduce myself

My name is Margret, I’m 32 and have a hubby, two kids (boy and girl), two dogs and a cat. I am a mod here at FBR, and although I have been a tad quiet over the l..."

Nice, hellooo Margret!

P.S.: I might repeat myself, but I really love your sewing! :)

message 26: by Anni (last edited Dec 08, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments And I will introduce myself as well :)

My name is Annika, I'm 27 and from a really small village in Germany where I live with my partner and my cat. We moved here last year after redeveloping and renovating the whole house. So if FBR-island will become a thing, I'm totally down to build a house with you guys ;)

I'm still at university, studying biologie (main focus neuro science) but hope to get my Master degree soon.

I like reading, knitting and tinkering in general and taking a walk with our senior horse.

message 27: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Thank you Anni! I don’t think I knew you had a horse!

message 28: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Margret wrote: "Thank you Anni! I don’t think I knew you had a horse!"

Two actually :)

That's the only presentable picture I can find right now 😂 It's them waiting for food

message 29: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3714 comments Aw lovely!

message 30: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Ohhhh, Anni, they are beautiful! I love horses so much. Had my own for a couple of years, but had to sell him due to my mental health going downhill. I miss him everyday :( They really do become family members

And also, hi, sorry to just barge in on your group chat. Just curious to see who the competition is :D

message 31: by Anni (last edited Dec 08, 2018 11:11PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "Ohhhh, Anni, they are beautiful! I love horses so much. Had my own for a couple of years, but had to sell him due to my mental health going downhill. I miss him everyday :( They really do become fa..."

Feel free to barge in every time :)
I'm sorry to hear about your horse... you're right, like any other pet, they became family members, I grew up with Galvani (he's the grey one in the back), my mom bought him when I was 4 years old, he's really dear to me!

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Bill wrote: "I’ll break it to her that she isn’t on the winning team with me. Good luck with second place..."

Ya she missed out last year but the two of you can have fun this year playing for second place. :P

message 33: by Rob (last edited Dec 08, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1728 comments HI all - since we're doing introductions I'll hop in here!

Better known as "Julia's Dad", I'm Rob. 43 (turn 44 next Thursday!) We live in upstate NY, in the NYC metro area. I"m married 11 years, have three kids (9, 7, 3). I work as an urban planner for a regional planning agency and am a part-time fantasy baseball author/analyst/freelance author (all non-fiction of course).

Julia is 9 (turns 10 on the 23rd) and is in 4th grade. Reads at around the 10th-grade level, though I don't let her read past YA books without pre-reading them. (She adores Brandon Sanderson and just read Skyward - somehow I think she's read Warbreaker about 6 times in the past year). Sadly too young yet to have a Goodreads account, so if she still wants to compete and participate when she's 13, you'll hear more from her then :).

message 34: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments HI everyone!!! Glad to be here! :D Looking forward to talk to you all for the next year! :)

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Margret wrote: "Thank you Anni! I don’t think I knew you had a horse!"

That's the only presentable picture I can find right now 😂 It's them waiting for food"

Oh, Anni, I love them! So beautiful! The one on the right, is that a Fjord? I have one of my own too, who is half a Fjord.

@Katherine: So sorry to heart that :(

And hello, team :D

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Margret wrote: "Xoxo it was great to have you Iain! Thank you for helping our team so much while I’ve lost about 6 months of my life to dark times."

Sorry to hear that Margret. :(
Hope the dark times will stay far behind you and wish you only light and happiness for the future.

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments So...Introductions...
I'm Saar the Book Owl and member for 2 years or so in this group, but member from Goodreads for 6 years, I think. Thanks to this and a couple of other groups, I'm more active on Goodreads.

I'm 35, living with my hubby and my son (turns 6 next Friday. Happy early birthday, Rob!) in Bruges (Belgium).

I work as a receptionist in a mental health hospital and I study Applied Psychology.

In my few free time I read (obvious) fantasy, YA, historic fiction and thrillers (but I read other genres too), I enjoy spending time with my family, horse and 2 cats and I write.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments @Anni - those horses are so beautiful!!

message 39: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Margret wrote: "Thank you Anni! I don’t think I knew you had a horse!"

That's the only presentable picture I can find right now 😂 It's them waiting for food"
..."

Yes he is :) That's really cool, would you show us a picture, too?

message 40: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Laura wrote: "@Anni - those horses are so beautiful!!"

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments How do I add a picture? I've never done this before.

message 42: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments There's a helpful thread already :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It's actually not that hard, if you once figured out how to do it :)
Sadly you can't direktly upload pictures to goodreads, so first you have to upload them elsewhere. Here's an additional step by step "tutorial" 😂

1. Upload your picture. I use imgur, as Ahdam suggested, but you could also upload it as an additional picture on your profile here on goodreads. Alternatively if you already uploaded it to facebook for example that works too :)

2. You need the URL of the picture, you can get it easily by (right-) clicking at your picture and choose "copy URL" or by "view picture" (or somerhing like this) and copying it from the adress line. Normally the URL will end with .jpg

3. Above the text window is a small button saying "some html is ok", there you get the html code for uploading pictures:

< img src="https://add-your-URL-here.jpg" width="40" height="100" alt="description"/>

But because I never get width and height right, you could leave out the whole "width=40, height=8638.." part and only use this code:

< img src="https://add-your-URL-here.jpg"/ >

(I added an extra space at the beginning and the end after "<" and infront of ">")

4. Add your URL and post it

I hope that helps :)

message 43: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Dec 09, 2018 12:12AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Thanks, Anni! It took me several times, but here he is! His name is Lambic. He's now 19 years old. The picture was taken when he was 12 years old. Oh and that's me sitting with him.

message 44: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Thanks, Anni! It took me several times, but here he is! His name is Lambic. He's now 19 years old. The picture was taken when he was 12 years old. Oh and that's me sitting with him.
"

Oh that's such a lovely and beautiful picture of both of you! I really like his colouring.

Our two are 26 and 16 years old :)

message 45: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Dec 09, 2018 12:33AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Thanks. In the winter his coat is a bit darker than in the summer.
You also have 'a senior' :)

message 46: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Another beautiful horse! His color is gorgeous, Saar, and not super common either, which is pretty cool. My horse was a boring black, though he got lighter during the summer... almost like a reverse tan

message 47: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
Loving all of the horse pictures everyone is posting :)

message 48: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1456 comments I am so excited about the team!! I am also looking forward to getting to know everyone better - and, almost as importantly, to have a better work-life balance so I can read a lot!

Saar The Book owl | 1900 comments Thanks :)

@Katherine: his mother was a Fjord, but the general color (you have 3 sorts of coat) and his father was a redbrownish pony, so he's the result :) In the years that I have him now, I found 3 others with the same color.
I love black horses. We have one at thte stable with one little spot white on it's forehead and the rest of his body is black.

message 50: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Just stopping by to appreciate the beautiful horses!
Gorgeous pictures, Anni and Saar! :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11