What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
This topic is about Spiderweb for Two
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Treasure/Scavenger Hunt children's chapter book with a boy and girl following notes with clues leading them to the next clue. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (last edited Dec 08, 2018 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Miller | 11 comments Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy MazeIn the book, a boy and girl (probably brother and sister, and there may have been more than two kids) start getting a series of mysterious notes. Each note has a clue which leads them to find a new note. The only other thing I remember is that in one chapter the girl gets laryngitis, and is upset because she can't go looking for the next clue.

I think the setting was in a country house, but not too far from a town - probably. Probably set in America or possibly England. Written in English, most likely published in America. The time period was most likely the 1900s, probably the later 1900s, but I don't 100% remember whether things like cars were mentioned. It was probably realistic fiction, I don't recall any magic happening.

I don't remember anything about the title, author, or the cover (it was definitely a physical book, ebooks weren't invented yet), except that maybe the colors were fairly muted and the picture wasn't anything too exciting? Maybe a house?

I loved this book, but I haven't seen it since I was in third grade! It was the thickest book I'd ever read at the time, but I hadn't read many chapter books before that point, so it might not actually be a very long book. This was about thirty years ago, so it must have been published before about 1988 - I don't recall the book looking particularly new.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Dec 08, 2018 08:31AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1653 comments Maybe Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze, the last book in The Melendy Family Series. I don't remember the laryngitis but it's been a long time since I read it.

Lara Miller | 11 comments Ahah! Thank you! I was able to search the chapter out where one of the characters DOES get laryngitis, and it was exactly like I remembered! That was the part that really stuck in my mind, because I'd never heard of laryngitis before. So this is it!

Thanks, I'm very excited! Not only do I get to read this book again (I feel like it was the book that really got me started on my life as a reader), I never knew it was part of a series, so now I can read all of them. :)

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Dec 08, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1653 comments Maybe Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze, the last book in The Melendy Family Series.

The Goodreads description is of the series as a whole, not the individual books, but the back of the book reads:

Randy and Oliver Melendy awake one fall morning full of gloom. Their brother and sister are away, the house seems forlorn and empty, and even Cuffy, their adored housekeeper, can’t pick up their spirits. Will they have to face a long and lonely winter? But a surprise message in the mailbox starts a trail of excitement and adventure that takes them through the cold season. When summer finally comes around again, the children have found fourteen messages in all, and the end of the search brings them a rich reward.

Randy does get laryngitis on one chapter (and, of course, tries to hide it from Cuffy).

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1653 comments Lara wrote: "Ahah! Thank you! I was able to search the chapter out where one of the characters DOES get laryngitis, and it was exactly like I remembered! That was the part that really stuck in my mind, because ..."

Oh, great! Glad you found your book! Funny how Goodreads created a new comment rather than amending the previous one.