What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Adventures of Connie and Diego/Las aventuras de Connie y Diego
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's picture book: Twin brother and sister born with painted faces. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea | 4 comments Hello,

I am a kindergarten teacher and last year a guest speaker came to read us this book and I can't remember the name. It's a children's book about a brother and sister from Central America who were born with painted warrior faces and they were outcasts in their village. They travel on a journey together and eventually return to the village. I think it's been published in the last 30 years.

If anyone might be able to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Andrea

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Andrea, is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book with mostly words?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors/black & white? Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

Andrea | 4 comments Hi Kris,
This is a picture book and felt like a fable. The pictures were very colorful and had an indigenous feel to it. The twins were born into this village, but they looked different from everyone else because their faces were painted like warriors. I am trying to track down the person who read it to my class.

Thank you for your help!

Andrea

message 4: by Kris (new)

Did the siblings have special powers/abilities?

Andrea | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Did the siblings have special powers/abilities?"

I am doing my best to remember. I do remember there being some sort of transformation. I also remember I looked it up on Amazon during the presentation and it wasn't readily available or only through a 3rd party seller.

Andrea | 4 comments I was able to track down the guest speaker who read it to my class. It's called The Adventures of Connie and Diego by Maria Garcia. Thank you to Kris for your help at sparking memories!

Andrea

message 7: by Kris (new)

That's great news, Andrea. Here's the link - The Adventures of Connie and Diego/Las aventuras de Connie y Diego by Maria Garcia.