Play Book Tag discussion

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
December 2018: Geek Reads > The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, by CS Lewis, 3.5

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 08, 2018 02:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments This is a delightful classic children's fantasy book. It was the first book published in the Chronicles of Narnia series of 7 books. I somehow missed this series growing up. I would have liked it more as a kid, but it was an enjoyable short read. The story is a fantasy adventure that is empowering for children. There is a clear good versus evil theme. There are some Christian elements in the story, but they are subtle enough that the story can be enjoyed equally well by readers of any religion or atheists (in my opinion).

This book also has a winter holiday element. Much of the book takes place during winter, and "the real" Father Christmas makes an appearance.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7880 comments One of my favorite read a-louds when my daughter was young!

message 3: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2504 comments I read them all to my boys as well. They’re favourite books and they’re nice to read aloud.

I agree with you about the Christian allegory (and I’m someone who won’t read literature with a deliberate religious message except purely for historical interest). Yes the allegory is there but only as another potential angle if people want to read it in. You can get the whole story without it - or despite it. It’s certainly a book about values - such as kindness, honesty and loyalty (and their destructive opposites) - but those are universals. Most of the books are similarly general, except for The Last Battle (which is more problematic, IMO)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments KateNZ wrote: "I read them all to my boys as well. They’re favourite books and they’re nice to read aloud.

I agree with you about the Christian allegory (and I’m someone who won’t read literature with a deliber..."

I do like the values that are shown. I don't know if I'll finish the series now, but I'll want to read them to my grandchildren (when and if I get them).

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5071 comments I loved these as a kid, and spent my 4th grade looking for the door into Narnia in my old, old school. Though I outgrew them as I dropped my Catholic beliefs as an adult, I still read them to my children and they loved them too.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This was my favorite book of the series. Good review.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 15 comments NancyJ wrote: "This is a delightful classic children's fantasy book. It was the first book published in the Chronicles of Narnia series of 7 books. I somehow missed this series growing up. I would have liked it m..."

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 15 comments I loved these books as a kid and then again, I fell in love with it when my daughters were growing up. They loved the books and then we had the BBC Children's Hour series on TV here which we watched together as a family. My younger daughter was so in love with this that she bought a huge volume containing all the books together on a visit to the US.
By the way this is the first book I've seen on this site that I actually have heard of. Great! I'm totally at a loss with the other books you talk of, never heard of them, and wouldn't read them if I had. But thanks for this.

Lucia's Fire Love this book so much!