Dare to Dream discussion

Seasonal Reading Challenges > WINTER 2018/2019 READING CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Please post all questions/comments/updates about the winter challenge in this thread. :D

The Winter 2018/2019 Reading Challenge will start December 9th and end February 28th.

Rules of the challenge:

Read 3 books (or more)
Complete 3 tasks (or more)
All genres ok
Rereads ok

So this winter, complete 3 (or more) of the following:

1. Pears are celebrated in December.
So this winter:

READ A BOOK WITH THE LETTERS P-E-A-R IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE.

2. A Miracle on 34th Street is a popular movie this time of year. If you’re not familiar with the plot-it’s about a department store Santa who insists he’s the real deal. No one believes him. A lawyer decides to take his case. The film was released in 1947.

So this winter:

READ A BOOK IN WHICH A MIRACLE HAPPENS.

OR

READ A BOOK THAT HAS THE WORD
STREET IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE.

OR

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER THAT IS NOT BELIEVED.

OR

READ A BOOK PUBLISHED IN 1947.

3. Some talented authors celebrate their birthdays this season.
So this winter, read a book by one of the following:

David Sedaris- December 26th
Harlan Coben-January 4th
Tananarive Due-January 5th
Alice Walker- February 9th

4. January 1st is New Year’s Day.
So this winter:

READ A BOOK THAT IS INSPIRING/COMFORTING/UPLIFTING.

5. The Grammy Awards will be held on February 10th.
So this winter:

READ A BOOK THAT HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR A GRAMMY. ( Any year ok).

6. Many great books have been adapted into films. Some good, some not so much.
So this winter:

READ A BOOK THAT WILL BECOME A FILM IN 2019.

7. Random task- This task counts towards the challenge but is not inspired by the season.
So this winter:

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A PODCAST AS PART OF THE STORY.

HAPPY WINTER! :D

message 2: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2526 comments Mod
Thanks for helping me get through the Winter :-) Winter is my least favorite season. I'm looking forward to Winter Solstice

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Thanks for helping me get through the Winter :-) Winter is my least favorite season. I'm looking forward to Winter Solstice"

You’re welcome :)
I’m not a fan of the winter either.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments Make that three of us that don’t like winter! The best part of winter is more time to read. Thanks again for another great challenge.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments You’re welcome :)

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments I finished The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros and A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams . I didn’t care for either one.

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Rachel wrote: "I finished The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros and A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. I didn’t care for either one."

Hope the next one is a better experience.
Happy Winter Solstice & Christmas!

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments Well at least you can add a couple of classics to your list of books read, I hope the next ones are better!

I wish everyone a Happy Holiday.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Merry Christmas! :)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Finished If You Ask Me If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White which was nominated for a grammy a while ago.
It’s a short, fun audiobook narrated by betty.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Happy New Year! :)

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments Happy New Year! I hope 2019 is good to all of us!

I'm starting to put Christmas away and have got sidetracked by my Christmas books. I'm reading a few of them again to finish out my reading challenge. I may make it.

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Rachel wrote: "Finished If You Ask MeIf You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White which was nominated for a grammy a while ago.
It’s a short, fun audiobook narrated by betty."

I remember reading that one :-) I love Betty White

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Finished If You Ask MeIf You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White which was nominated for a grammy a while ago.
It’s a short, fun audiobook narrated by betty."

I remember readi..."

Me too. :)

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Hope everyone’s new year is off to a good start.

Wishing you guys good health and happiness. :)

message 16: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments I read "In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse" which works for #1 in the challenge.

Hope everyone survived the Holidays.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Danell wrote: "I read "In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse" which works for #1 in the challenge.

Hope everyone survived the Holidays."

Thanks for the update, Danell! So good to see you post. :)

How are you doing?

message 18: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments I am doing ok, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Between the balance of work and home, I am hoping to escape through the pages of a few books.

On a fun and positive note, we gained a family member over the holidays. He is furry, full of energy and love. We now have a yellow lab named Clyde.

Thank you for the reading challenge!!
Truly appreciate them!

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments Danell, congrats on your new family member! How old is Clyde?

Books are a good escape, and a good way for self-care.

The sun is out in the northwest. Yay! We've had lots of wind and rain. The sun helps in so many ways. I took my dog out for a nice walk along the harbor today. I think we're both happier now.

I'm in a bit of a reading slump. I can't seem to stay focused on any one book so nothing is getting done. I do have a new obsession when it comes to reading, the podcast "What Should I Read Next?" Its growing my TBR list but its also reminding me of some books that have been on the list for a while. Check it out. Anne Bogel is wonderful to listen to, she's like a new best friend.

message 20: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Clyde is 3 months old. My son has been wanting a dog for years and we are now in a position to have a dog and thought what better time than Christmas. Husband and son traveled to a nearby town and looked at him, ate lunch at the drive in at that town and were discussing possible names for him and decided on Clyde. Clyde’s is the drive ins name.

Forgot how much work is involved with training a puppy. And the amount of distractions to get him to chew on his toys and not shoes, pants and fingers. One cat will play with him and sometimes give him a look that makes me think that the cat is saying “ what the f@ck” to Clyde. We had a snowstorm earlier this week, 10 inches, and it was entertaining watching Clyde go outside. We have my nieces boyfriends dog at our house as well, Buddy is his name, and Buddy isn’t thrilled with the new addition.

I hope your reading slump is short. I always look forward to our group and hearing how everyone is and what books are fantastic and which ones to avoid.

message 21: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'm just finishing A Streetcar Named Desire. I see from an earlier post that Rachel read that one and didn't care for it. I'm rather enjoying it myself. I take into account that it was written in 1947 for theater - I find it fascinating how some art can do so well years later but others get lost. This is a short little book which works for task #2 on three counts:
"street" in the title, book published in 1947 and features a character not believed.

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

message 22: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Recently finished Elevation by Stephen King. This book features a "miracle" and is "uplifting" :-)

Elevation by Stephen King

message 23: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Congrats on your new puppy Danell :-)

Gosh, pets are a lot of work. I keep telling myself that I could save a lot of time and money if I didn't have a telepathic cat and three hedgehogs but then I reply to myself about how much fun they are and such great company, such quirky spirits they share with us. I do love animals (and kind humans too).

message 24: by Rachel (last edited Jan 12, 2019 12:02AM) (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Danell wrote: "I am doing ok, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Between the balance of work and home, I am hoping to escape through the pages of a few books.

On a fun and positive note, we gained a family member..."

My best friend was diagnosed with fibromyalgia some time ago. She’s okay but some days are definitely more challenging than others.
Hugs to you. :)

Congrats on the new puppy!
P.S. Your cat is definitely saying what the f@ck to Clyde. :)

message 25: by Rachel (last edited Jan 11, 2019 11:43PM) (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Christine wrote: "Danell, congrats on your new family member! How old is Clyde?

Books are a good escape, and a good way for self-care.

The sun is out in the northwest. Yay! We've had lots of wind and rain. The su..."

Hope your reading slump ends soon. :)
I will have to check out that podcast. I really like the All the Books podcast by Book Riot.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'm just finishing A Streetcar Named Desire. I see from an earlier post that Rachel read that one and didn't care for it. I'm rather enjoying it myself. I take into account that it was written in 1..."

Glad you enjoyed it more than I did. :)
I thought it was well written- I just couldn’t stand Stanley or Stella.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Recently finished Elevation by Stephen King. This book features a "miracle" and is "uplifting" :-)

Elevation by Stephen King"

I was on the fence about this one but added it to my tbr after reading your review. :)

message 28: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Elevation is very short, so you won't have to invest much time, effort or money (if you can get a library copy) :-)

message 29: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments The wait for the ebook "Elevation" through the library is 10 weeks. I may have to visit the library and hope there is a physical copy available.

Finished "The House on Berkeley Street" which works for #2 in the challenge.

Onto my next reading challenge and hopefully a undisturbed and peaceful nights sleep!

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Danell wrote: "The wait for the ebook "Elevation" through the library is 10 weeks. I may have to visit the library and hope there is a physical copy available.

Finished "The House on Berkeley Street" which works..."

Thanks for the update, Danell! :)
Sweet dreams!

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments Finally, one book done for the challenge! I'd Rather Be Reading The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel
She mentions her podcast in it.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Christine wrote: "Finally, one book done for the challenge! I'd Rather Be Reading The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel
She mentions her podcast in it."

Thanks for the update, Christine! :)

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments I have one person in my book club that picks long, depressing books. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann was her pick for this month. Thankfully I could check off PEAR with its title. I've decided I'm going to start skipping the month's that her books are chosen. Life is too short to read stuff you don't like.

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments Catching up on my reading, a book that inspires is Educated by Tara Westover

Be warned, its a brutal book to read.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Thanks for the updates, Christine! :)

message 36: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl and The Woman in the Window. Both of these books are being adapted into films in 2019
(Winter Challenge, task #6)

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl and The Woman in the Window. Both of these books are being adapted into films in 2019
(Winter Challenge, task #6)

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer[bookcover:The ..."

Thanks for the update, Dustin! :)

message 38: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Danell, are you still working at the gas station? I remember you were switching jobs around the same time as myself last Spring.

message 39: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I have started reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette. There is a film adaptation being released in theaters this year.
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

message 40: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments I am still at the gas station, grateful that everyone there has patience with me. I think my co workers and boss should have T-shirt’s made stating Danell is the reason I drink.

Are you still in the beautiful patterns involved in quilting?

message 41: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Yes. I work in the fabric warehouse full-time and at the movie theater on weekends.

message 42: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments I don’t know how you do it Dustin! You are one busy man. Keep being the amazing and positive person you are.

message 43: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

That's very kind :-) I'm getting through lots of audiobooks working at the warehouse.

message 44: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments The comfort of books to get through the day

message 45: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Yes indeed :-) The time goes by pretty quickly too.

message 46: by Christine (new)

Christine | 735 comments I hope everyone is keeping warm. It hasn't been too bad for us out west but snow is in our forecast for next week. Its something we get excited for because it doesn't happen that often. It makes for a good excuse to stay home and read.

I just finished Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

The back cover says it is going to be made into a movie by Reese Witherspoon so that is what I will count it as. It can also count as a book that inspires. I just loved this book and Eleanor Oliphant. She is a bit prickly but that's what makes it so endearing. I highly recommend this one.

message 47: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Greetings from Colorful Colorado :-) On Tuesday, I had to leave my full-time job so I won't be able to speed through the audiobooks quite as fast.

Thanks for the recommendation Christine. I will have to look into that book & the film adaptation.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Christine wrote: "I hope everyone is keeping warm. It hasn't been too bad for us out west but snow is in our forecast for next week. Its something we get excited for because it doesn't happen that often. It makes fo..."

Thanks for the update, Christine! :)
Also, thank you again for that podcast rec-I really enjoy it. :)

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Greetings from Colorful Colorado :-) On Tuesday, I had to leave my full-time job so I won't be able to speed through the audiobooks quite as fast.

Thanks for the recommendation Christine. I will h..."

Did you change jobs?
Hope all is well. :)

message 50: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I still have the movie theater and aggressively seeking a second job.

« previous 1