Play Book Tag discussion

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen
Archive: Other Books > Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen / Susan Gregg Gilmore. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8342 comments 3.5 stars

Catherine Grace is the preacher’s daughter in a small town in Georgia in the 1960s and 70s. Her mother died when she was only six, so there’s just her, her sister, Martha Ann, and their father, the town preacher. All her life she’s known she wants out of the town; unlike many others, she does not want to stay and be a farmer’s wife. She plans to leave as soon as she turns 18.

I enjoyed this. There was more God in it than I expected. Growing up in a small town (unless it’s different in the South), I didn’t find that much talk of “the Lord” in casual conversation as there was in this book/town. I have mixed feelings about the ending. Some of it, I liked, but some of it seemed to tie up a bit too nicely in a bow. Overall, though, it was fairly enjoyable.

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Oh, yeah. Makes me want to go get a Dilly bar, too! LOL! Does DQ still make those?

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Oh, yeah. Makes me want to go get a Dilly bar, too! LOL! Does DQ still make those?"

We still have them here in Michigan!

message 4: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments My husband swears to me he's never had a dilly bar and I just straight up don't believe that. They were the best thing on the menu!

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Amy N. wrote: "My husband swears to me he's never had a dilly bar and I just straight up don't believe that. They were the best thing on the menu!"

LOL! I grew up in a small town (no DQ), so I didn't really have much DQ until I moved away.

But, I did work there for a summer after my 3rd year at university, I think, and that was the first I'd heard of a Dilly bar. I have to admit that I usually just went for a blizzard or dipped cone, in preference, but the description in this book really makes me want one now! I'm sure I tried one way back when I worked there, but I don't really remember it well.

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Joanne wrote: "We still have them here in Michigan!"

Good to know! I might have to make my way to DQ soon and pick one up. :-)

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments Amy N. wrote: "My husband swears to me he's never had a dilly bar and I just straight up don't believe that. They were the best thing on the menu!"

Right??? When you bite into them the chocolate starts to move and fall-loved that as a kid trying to shove one whole side of it into my mouth!!

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Joanne wrote: "We still have them here in Michigan!"

Good to know! I might have to make my way to DQ soon and pick one up. :-)"

Our small town DQ closes for winter😢

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Joanne wrote: "Our small town DQ closes for winter😢"

That was actually mentioned in the book, that some do close for the winter.

message 10: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments Dilly bars here have shrunk!
They used to be quite a bit bigger service size than they are now. I'm a fan of the cherry ones.

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Joi wrote: "Dilly bars here have shrunk!
They used to be quite a bit bigger service size than they are now. I'm a fan of the cherry ones."

Oh, I didn't know they came in different flavours! The DQ I worked at only had the white ice cream with chocolate coating.

I guess it's not a surprise that they are smaller. Just about everything is now!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the title of this book!!! And who doesn't love the Dilly Bar?? I love the butterscotch ones.
By the way, good reciew.:)

message 13: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2339 comments I had to look up what a Dilly bar is, lol.

But I liked the review :)

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments KateNZ wrote: "I had to look up what a Dilly bar is, lol.

But I liked the review :)"

Now you know what you're missing down-under😉

message 15: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2339 comments My expanding waistline doesn’t need it, Joanne, believe me

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments What is a dilly bar? Grew up in Connecticut just outside of New York, and this is not a term that I commonly have been aware of.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments Amy wrote: "What is a dilly bar? Grew up in Connecticut just outside of New York, and this is not a term that I commonly have been aware of."

It is a chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bar-only kinda-sorta circular

message 18: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments I'd like to add that dilly bars are always served on a stick (tongue depressor), and not always vanilla with chocolate on the outside!

Some DQ's will handmake them with chocolate or vanilla soft serve, with either chocolate, cherry, or butterscotch outsides! They also have premade ones in the freezer like a "to go" item.

LibraryCin | 8342 comments KateNZ wrote: "My expanding waistline doesn’t need it, Joanne, believe me"

hahaha! That is true for me, too! I really don't need to go visiting a DQ looking for one!

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Amy wrote: "What is a dilly bar? Grew up in Connecticut just outside of New York, and this is not a term that I commonly have been aware of."

I will also add to this, that it is specifically a Dairy Queen creation.

message 21: by LibraryCin (last edited Dec 11, 2018 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Joi wrote: "Some DQ's will handmake them with chocolate or vanilla soft serve..."

This is what we did at the DQ I worked at, but only the vanilla flavour. I will also add that it starts with soft-serve, but then is put in the freezer, so it's a bit "harder" than, say, a regular soft-serve cone with chocolate dip. (If I'm remembering correctly - it has been a long time!)

ETA: We hand made them, but for this purpose:
They also have premade ones in the freezer like a "to go" item.