Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
This topic is about Dark Lover
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Dark Lover [5 Dec 2018]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read starts today! Sorry for the delay with the thread being set up.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Thank you Angela! :):)
And no delay at all! In fact, quite perfect timing. :)

Choko (chokog) | 6724 comments Starting tomorrow:)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments In that case I'll start tomorrow too. That way I'll get to finish some of my long due reviews today.

Shaitarn | 1930 comments I'll join the two of you - I need to find the book first!

Choko (chokog) | 6724 comments OMG! The names!!! Hahahaha! I had forgotten about all the drama 😊😊😊

Choko (chokog) | 6724 comments So, it is kind of funny, a girl getting sexually assaulted one evening and then the next going with the big bad wolf into a dark cavern willingly... So many things are so absurd, but it is still a fun read😃. Or maybe exactly because of that it is fun. The two characters who pull on my heartstrings so far are the butler and Marissa. I want to hug them both and make them feel better, help them make their lives better somehow. I really have a hard time respecting the vampire king , since he really had no consideration for how his treatment affected Marissa all this time... He is kind of an asshole...

Shaitarn | 1930 comments Started today, and it's what I'd call a sort of 'junk food' book. It's not good for you but it tastes good and sometimes that fat greasy burger is what you want, you know? Very much a guilty pleasure, but still a pleasure.

Some parts are what I'd call problems in another book (the straight into the action with no feeling for any of the characters, the insta-lust between the two main characters) but really they're pretty much PNR genre staples, so to complain about them is absurd. The names do bug me a little bit (the main bad guy is Mr X - seriously?!), but I suppose it's better than a bad ass vampire called Nigel or Trevor, and gave me some eye-rolling amusement.

My main problem so far is my complete lack of empathy with Wrath - dude, I get that your some tortured, brooding vampire dark hero, but don't roll around being an asshole to everyone.

Choko (chokog) | 6724 comments Hahahaha! Yeah, I agree with everything you said 😃. But it is perfect for reading as a spacer between those more serious tomes.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments LOL - this one sounds like fun! :)
I didn't get to start it yet but will do today and come back with my impressions on the junk food.

Lauren loves llamas (laureninca) | 20 comments My library had this available, so I'd like to join in on this, too, please! I remember reading part of this series during the big PNR boom, so maybe 2008ish, and I can't help wondering if it's as crazysauce as I remember.

Lauren loves llamas (laureninca) | 20 comments Wow, that was a blast from the past! I'm pretty sure Wrath was one of the first tortured soul paranormal alphaholes, so what now seems like a bad caricature was actually fresh back then. There's a lot of things to not like about the book - the insta-lust, Beth's general lack of character and TSTL-ness, Wrath being a giant dick to pretty much anything that breathes (poor Marissa), and, dear Lord, the NAMES - but it somehow comes together into a generally entertaining book. Definitely junk food, and I wouldn't want to read a bunch of them back to back, but I'll definitely be getting the next in the series out of the library when I'm looking for something light to read. All that being said, I cannot get behind a leather-wearing, rap-loving supposedly "bad" guy saying "No offense, but I'm outtie."

Choko (chokog) | 6724 comments Exactly! I constantly think that this and that series about the Romanian vampires were some of the first crazy angsty PNR that came out there... Talk about going full speed into possessive male shovenist extremes, but so much fun despite of that😂😈

Shaitarn | 1930 comments I finished this yesterday on the train. Is it just me, or does Wrath come across as actually the least interesting of the brothers? I can't help thinking that the others might have more interesting stories.

Some of it definitely made me roll my eyes, most of which has been covered here, but the insta-love between Butch and Marissa made me sigh as well.

As you said Choko, a break from the weightier, more serious tomes. If I found the other books on sale cheap I'd probably pick them up, but I wouldn't pay a full £7 or £8 for them (I thought I had the first two, but it wasn't with this one, so...).

I'm giving it 2.5 stars rounded up. It's okay but nothing special.

Lauren loves llamas (laureninca) | 20 comments I read further into the series way back when (there's a particular WTF moment that made me drop the series, if I'm remembering correctly) and I do think Wrath was the least personable of the bunch. I don't feel like his reluctance to take up the leadership position was well explored (I mean, it's explained eventually).

Honestly, I think one of the things that stands out about the book to me is that it's a mix of tropes I hate and I *still* enjoyed reading the book! I can't quite put my finger on why, though.