Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Kris' 2019 Century of Women

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

Kris (kmell33) | 103 comments I didn't participate in the challenge last year and I missed it. I'm back to give it a try.

I started with a few books that I've been meaning to read for a while now. I noticed that they were women of color and decided that this year's challenge, I would read all women of color.

Extra bonus - They are also all new-to-me authors.

1920 - Passing | Nella Larsen (1929)

1930 - Their Eyes Were Watching God | Zora Neale Hurston (1937)

1940 - Love in a Fallen City | Eileen Chang (1943)

1950 - Brown Girl, Brownstones | Paule Marshall (1959)

1960 - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings | Maya Angelou (1969)

1970 - Kindred | Octavia E. Butler (1979)

1980 - The Women of Brewster Place | Gloria Naylor (1982)

1990 - The God of Small Things | Arundhati Roy (1999)

2000 - The Housekeeper and the Professor | Yōko Ogawa (2009)

2010 - A Little Life | Hanya Yanagihara (2015)

message 2: by Laurie (last edited Dec 07, 2018 06:35PM) (new)

Laurie | 1631 comments Good choice for your theme. I tried to do that this year, but I ended up trading one book out later in the year and couldn't find a suitable replacement. But I managed 9 out of ten. I have read 7 of your books, and I would recommend any of them. Enjoy your challenge!

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2516 comments A very admirable goal, Kris. I've read six of these, and there's plenty of four stars and an absolute favorite, the latter being Roy's work.

message 4: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2428 comments I like your list! I am also planning to read The God of Small Things next year -- BUT I did not know that Arundhati Roy was a woman!!! Thank you so much for educating me! I needed that ;)
Enjoy your challenge :)

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments Nice list. I have read and loved Passing, Their Eyes Were Watching God and Kindred. Happy reading!

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Lots of great choices on your list, I've read half of them and none were a disappointment. Good luck!

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3803 comments *Gulp* These are some of my favorites, Kris! Especially Their Eyes Were Watching God, but I really loved The Women of Brewster Place too. Enjoy!!

message 8: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Looks great Kris. I also plan on reading The Housekeeper and the Professor this year. Good luck and happy reading.

message 9: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 500 comments Interesting list. I really enjoyed Their Eyes Were Watching God. Hope you have a really good reading year!

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I have read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, excellent. I own copies of Their Eyes Were Watching God and The God of Small Things. I want to read them but I just never pick them up. I’ll be interested anything you have to say about them. Maybe it will push me off the fence.