Grand Canyon Authors Club discussion

Events > Tucson Festival of Books

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andres (new)

Andres Rodriguez (aroddamonster) | 240 comments Mod
Does anyone know if two authors can occupy a single space? Say two authors pay 20 dollars each and share the 2 hour time slot?

message 2: by Andres (new)

I got my hands on an indie author handbook but nothing about the question above is mentioned there. I'll send an email and see if I can get a response. However, if this is possible and another writer (fantasy preferred) would like to share a spot please let me know. I'm not particular to sharing genre I simply think that the book covers themselves would attract a specific audience which would double the meet and greet individuals who chance on new authors.

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments When I did it last year (2018), sharing a space was definitely not allowed. I believe they said that every book or book-related item being presented had to include your name somehow. They may have softened on that this year. It's a very narrow space, and rather crowded. I made three paperback sales, but mainly passed out ads for discounts on the e-books, which sold better.

message 4: by Andres (new)

Awesome, thanks for the info Gail!

Doesn't the mystery writers of Arizona have their own separate booth?

I think I am going to wait until I get another couple of books in print. I don't think it will be worth anyone's time to just advertise a single novel. Once I finish the next two books I'll work on a GCAC website and some advertisement for it as well. Then hopefully I can help bring readers to meet more local authors.

message 5: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Doty (jldoty) | 12 comments For anyone interested, I received an email with the following link to sign up for the Indie Author Pavilion at TFoB: http://tucsonfestivalofbooks.org/?id=10.

If you haven't signed up for the TFoB newsletter the link will lead you to that as well.

BTW: I'm on one panel at TFoB: Scientists Who Write Science Fiction.
And moderating another: Putting the Science in Science Fiction

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 15 comments The form has been “disabled by an administrator.” I am guessing that means that they have no more spots available.

message 7: by Andres (new)

If anyone in the community finds their booth number and/or time slot, let me know and I'll post it to my facebook.

message 8: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments Good idea, Andres. I'll visit any of our group members that are there. I'm not buying space this year. I have better luck at the Payson Book Festival in July. Maybe next year I can find an affordable and good location at TFoB.

message 9: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments Same here. I didn't sign up for the Indie booth, but I'm volunteering at the Arizona Mystery Writers booth (# 212), where I can also leave bookmarks and such.

message 10: by Cricket (new)

Cricket Rohman | 23 comments I’ll try to find you if I make it there.

message 11: by Andres (new)

I'll take a couple books with me as I walk around, if anyone wants to trade for honest reviews that would be fun. Either way, I hope to meet and greet some of you amazing authors in person! I hope the weather is nice.

message 12: by Andres (new)

I'll be walking around Saturday with friends and family. I hope to meet some of you person to person. If you recognize me before I recognize you please don't hesitate to say hi! I wish all of you vending the best of luck!

message 13: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments Same to all of you. Have fun!

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Patterson | 16 comments Mod
Just wanna give a shout out to Andres for coming by the Wheatmark booth today and saying hi and picking up one of my books. It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks again!

message 15: by Andres (new)

Absolutely! The weather was wonderful. I only ran into you and Sarah Fujimara but my family had a great time. I look forward to reading your book, I wanted a photo with you for the site but you were kind of busy, no worries that's a good thing. I'm sure another opportunity will present itself. Hopefully you signed a lot of books!

I did make some wonderful connections and hopefully I can add some valuable resources to our community later this year. I hope everyone else had a great time as well.

message 16: by Andres (new)

TFOB literary awards competition is now open.

http://tucsonfestivalofbooks.org/?id=436

message 17: by Andres (new)

Dates for 2020 are out. I've added the event.

message 18: by Andres (new)

CJ Box is presenting this year and the events calendar has gone live. You can see the dates and time slots for all available workshops and presenters.

message 19: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Doty (jldoty) | 12 comments I'm giving a presentation on "Scientists Who Write Science Fiction", Saturday, 10:00 am

message 20: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments Excellent, I can make that talk. I'll be selling books in the Indie Authors Booth Saturday from 12:15 to 2. I had hoped to have a new book out, but it's not going to happen in time. Still, spreading the word is always good.

message 21: by Andres (new)

You do have a new book out =D. They should be arriving today or tomorrow. I didn't think of it at the time but I should have sent it to an Amazon Hub near you and text you the code. Think I might try that, sounds easy.

message 22: by Gail (new)

Gail Gibbs (gailanngibbs) | 36 comments That's right, I do have a new book, thanks to your hard work! I was just in self-pity mode about my stalled novel. So I will have three books on the table, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading everybody's contributions in Stories at Sunset.

message 23: by Andres (new)

Cancelled! In case you haven't heard. They tried saving the festival but authors continued to cancel on the event. So they finally decided to pull the plug.