Aussie Readers discussion

Small Town Kid
This topic is about Small Town Kid
Our Authors Spotlight > Small Town Kid - Frank Prem

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Hello.

I'm a newly minted author, having just managed to list my new offering - Small Town Kid - on Amazon in its e-book format.

I identify myself as a poet, but I'm really a storyteller who uses free verse as my main medium.

Small Town Kid is a memoir of growing up in a small and rural town in the 1960s and 70s in Australia (Beechworth in Victoria). I wrote the collection when I realised fairly suddenly that the stories I told my children about my own growing up were received as myths or legends (or fibs). The world had changed that dramatically in the space of a generations.

I wanted to bring back to mind the days of rabbiting and walking to school alone and having cracker nights on November the 5th.

Also a little of the experience of migrants from those times in their new settings.

Today, I am again resident in the little town, and transitioning from being a psychiatric nurse who writes, into an author who publishes. After a forty year apprenticeship as a poet,I'm ready to go forward as a journeyman, and I expect to be doing quite a bit of work in the public domain.

Thanks for having me here. It's a genuine delight to offer Small Town Kid to the world and readers here.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments Thank you for the biopic Frank, it sounds interesting.

message 3: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Deborah wrote: "Thank you for the biopic Frank, it sounds interesting."

Hi Deborah. Thank you. It's a pleasure to be here.

message 4: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 141 comments Congratulations on publishing your first book, Frank. Good luck with it.

message 5: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Rita wrote: "Congratulations on publishing your first book, Frank. Good luck with it."

Hi Rita. It's nice to be here.

Thank you for the welcome.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela King | 22 comments Frank wrote: "Hello.

I'm a newly minted author, having just managed to list my new offering - Small Town Kid - on Amazon in its e-book format.

I identify myself as a poet, but I'm really a storyteller who uses..."

Sounds like an interesting book Frank. I must keep a look out for it.

message 7: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Pamela wrote: "Frank wrote: "Hello.

I identify myself as a poet, but I'm really a storyt..."

That would be lovely, Pamela. Thank you.

message 8: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments A lovely review came in from a reader today. I was quite delighted to receive it. Thank you Scott.

~~~~

Small Town Kid is a wonderful collection.

With so few words Frank is able to paint a picture so vivid you can’t help but get lost in the story.

Whether he’s talking about family, a picnic, a trip to the butcher or even the outside toilet it’s difficult not become immersed in the words and imagine yourself right there with him.

Cover to cover this is an excellent read.

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 69357 comments Mod
Wow Frank! That's a great review! Well done :)

message 10: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments It's pretty good, isn't it? The response by readers has been very warming. Encouraging.

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Very relieving for you :)

message 12: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Just adding another review. This time one I accidentally discovered was on Amazon UK, but not reported elsewhere. A bit grumpy about that. These things are precious.

Thank you, Blocat, for this solid (5 star) review:

A very pleasant read.

A nostagic reminder of my youth. Very readable.

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Another positive for you Frank!

message 14: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments 5 altogether, Brenda. It's delightful.

Overnight it snuck back into 3rd place in category. A couple of sales and #1 would be there again.

Would be nice, but in reality, all of this round will likely act as a feeder for the next collection (midyear). When I'm thinking of going with a little advertising promotion.

Maybe,

I don't really know how it'll work.

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good luck with it all Frank :)

message 16: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Thank you. You'll hear all about it, I'm sure

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm sure you'll put it in here to promote it at the time :)

message 18: by Frank (last edited Jan 03, 2019 12:20PM) (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Another review received for Small Town Kid by Frank Prem :

Small Town Kid is filled with rich and wonderful memories of childhood and family.

Frank’s poems paint heartfelt pictures of a different time when the rhythms of life were less hurried. The poems tell a tale the years and have been pieced together into a joyous, warm quilt of memories.

‘Poppy Cakes’ took me back to my granny’s kitchen, tasting the delicious mysteries of her secret recipes.

‘From inside the outhouse’ made me shudder, as I remembered fears of falling in and being lost for good, but these humorous recollections of a pre-flush generation bought a smile to my face.

‘Crackers’ took me back to amazing cracker-nights and the thrill of those pocket-money explosions.

I very much enjoyed spending some time in Frank’s home town. It reminded me of those simple pleasures and people that make us who we are. It was delightful to share these treasured memories.

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lovely Frank! Your little book is doing well :)

message 20: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Frank wrote: "Another review received for Small Town Kid by Frank Prem:

Small Town Kid is filled with rich and wonderful memories of childhood and family.

Frank’s poems paint heartfelt pictures of a di..."

Thanks Brenda,

Everyone who has read it (ARC or purchase) has enjoyed it. A couple of folk in the US are to get their copies in the next day or two. I'm looking forward to their responses also.

Meanwhile, I'm doing radio tomorrow and (ABC) again next week, plus another major local newspaper interview to come.

It sets things up to build on, I think.

Cheers,

Frank

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds good Frank! Good luck with the radio interviews tomorrow and next week :)

message 22: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Thanks Brenda. If I can get access to recordings I'll try to make them available.

It will be good experience.

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

No problems :)

message 24: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Podcast of a radio Interview today. (You may need to create a log in).

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/in...

message 25: by Frank (last edited Jan 08, 2019 02:46PM) (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments A fresh review from a reader in the US.

~~~~~
A quick insightful read from Frank Prem Small Town Kid by Frank Prem .

Check out poetry on his website here: https://frankprem.wordpress.com.

I was delighted to receive this book from Amazon yesterday. I enjoy Frank’s observance of every day things and this anthology of growing up brought back memories of my own childhood.

I enjoyed it very much! 

https://rugby843.blog

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

You're doing well with your reviews Frank! Congratulations :)

message 27: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Brenda, thank you.

I'd love to have a couple of them up on the Zon, but I take them as wonderful boons and blessings.

A great start.

:)

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

It'll happen :)

message 29: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments :) Fingers X'ed

message 30: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Hi again, Brenda.

A question.

Is there a way to keep adding these 'informal' reviews to my actual reviews here on Goodreads. I did the one, but it seems that might be all I can add?

I'd be grateful for advice, as they are a bit too good to just lose, if I can find a way.

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

You can only add the one because you put it in your name. The only way is to continue to edit your review and add them to the bottom. But there will come a time when you can't fit any more in. Plus it's possible people won't read them because of the length - plus you won't get any more acknowledgements. The only way is for people to actually post their reviews on Goodreads...

Keep putting them in here if you don't want to lose them though :)

message 32: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Brenda wrote: "You can only add the one because you put it in your name. The only way is to continue to edit your review and add them to the bottom. But there will come a time when you can't fit any more in. Plus..."

I'll do that, Brenda.

Thank you

message 33: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Newspaper Interview: Border Morning Mail 11/01/2019 - https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5...

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nice Frank!

message 35: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Thanks Brenda. An interview on ABC radio here this morning, as well. I'll post a link when I get it.

message 36: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments An online interview with Sally Cronin went live today. Sally and the Smorgasbord are great supporters of up and comers like me. I highly recommend a visit.

The interview with me is here: https://smorgasbordinvitation.wordpre...

Enjoy. Good no knead bread recipe, as well!

message 37: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments I received the mp3 of my ABC local Radio Interview today. Available to listen to here:

https://frankprem.com/frank-prem-radi...

It seemed real enough to have me answering all the questions as though I was just hearing them!

Small Town Kid by Frank Prem

message 38: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments A new review received for Small Town Kid - thank you, TBL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming free form poetry

Frank Prem is a storyteller and poet of an unusual kind. He writes about everything with a vision most of us do not see until he brings it forth. This memoir of his childhood brings you right there with him. Very easy to read and charming.

message 39: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments How does a day happen?

Is it truly the action of one dedicated craftswoman, seated at her wheel?

A day is a wonderful thing.

Accompaniment arranged and composed by Leanne Murphy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iizmupyx6f6...

message 40: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments I've been engaged, recently, in reacting to spec fiction picture prompts, with some interesting results.

Below are links to 2 responses to the same picture, involving an elephant and some mice. I think you might enjoy.

https://wp.me/p7yTr8-6PX

https://wp.me/p7yTr8-6Qu

Cheers,

Frank

message 41: by Frank (last edited Feb 20, 2019 01:40AM) (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments New Review for Small Town Kid from another site:

''A lovely, short set of poems outlining the author’s thoughts and memories of childhood. It was very relateable.''
( 4 stars ) Feb 19, 2019

message 42: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments I had an online interview published by a well known blogger based in the UK.

Link (sorry it's a long one, don't know how to shrink it): https://smorgasbordinvitation.wordpre...

message 43: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Am today putting final touches to the inside matter for my next poetry collection - Devil in the Wind (voices from Black Saturday).

It's very exciting to see it coming along and I'm growing eager to hold a copy in my hands.

As soon as I can, I will send off final cover changes.

Reading the poems and stories aloud still brings a lump to my throat and moisture to my eyes.

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Your new one sounds good Frank. Black Saturday was a terrible time...

message 45: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments Brenda wrote: "Your new one sounds good Frank. Black Saturday was a terrible time..."

It sure was, Brenda.

The new collection is a difficult one to read. Very emotionally charged. I'm often damp-eyed as I go through some of the stories in the preparation process - even after having developed familiarity with each piece.

I hope it has a cathartic capacity. So many folk are still traumatised, even after so long.

message 46: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments A lovely online interview with Colleen Chesebro:

https://colleenchesebro.com/2019/02/2...

message 47: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments A couple of my poems are being featured by poet Andrew Martin Harris in his Planet Poet Time space, where he feartures poets from around the world.

The first of 2 poems scheduled, is here : https://m.facebook.com/story.php?stor...

That site is notorious for messing with poetry formatting, but it should be remedied shortly.

Hope you enjoy 'a cuppa at the end of October'. Any problems and I'll happily post the whole piece here.

message 48: by Frank (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments I'm delighted that a reader, Chelsea Owens has been moved to write a response to one of my blog poems called 'speck on the blue', posted on my blog today, here:
https://frankprem.wordpress.com/2019/...

Her own poem 'dot on the brown' is located at her blog site.

I'm sure she would be delighted to have you visit.

https://chelseaannowens.com/2019/02/2...

message 49: by Frank (last edited Feb 24, 2019 04:43PM) (new) - added it

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 150 comments I received some lovely feedback from a reader who bought a copy when I was out and promoting Small Town Kid. Comments reproduced below, with permission.

Dear Frank,

I am so enjoying your book.

I get most enjoyment from reading the poetry out loud.
It was lovely meeting you in Beechworth.

Kind Regards

JF

message 50: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

You're having some lovely responses Frank. Well done :)

« previous 1