Sharp Objects Sharp Objects discussion

Did the HBO series inspire you to buy the novel?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stephen Welch Usually I read the book first, then become interested in viewing the TV series/movie afterwards, but not in this case. I was so captivated by the series that I immediately picked up the book afterwards, and was glad I did.

Jean-Marc Vallee's direction, and the incredible performances by Adams and Clarkson, no doubt helped "sell" the story for me. But at the end of the day Flynn's intriguing, powerful characters, and her gripping plot, are what did me in.

Was anyone else led to the book from the screen? What did you think, comparing the two?

Teri Williams The HBO series compelled me to see if I would get more detail out of the book. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed this book.

Stephen Welch Teri Williams wrote: "The HBO series compelled me to see if I would get more detail out of the book. I was not disappointed. I enjoyed this book."

I really enjoyed her descriptive language, many clever, spot-on similes. That's one of the things that fiction can provide that the screen doesn't ...

message 4: by Bee ⚡ (new) - added it

Bee ⚡ I read the book first and have yet to see the series. But I liked the book. I think it dealt with cutting in a mature way and the twist really threw me. I don't know that I'll purchase the book, as my local library carries it, but I will definitely read more from Gillian Flynn in the future.

Stephen Welch Holland wrote: "I read the book first and have yet to see the series. But I liked the book ... I will definitely read more from Gillian Flynn in the future. "

As will I, definitely. The series is really worth watching as well, I think ... highly recommend it.

Teri Williams Another book that you may enjoy by Gillian Flynn is Dark Places. Libby is the only survivor, pointing the finger at her brother who killed the family because of a satanic cult.

This book in my opinion held my attention to the very end. I gave it 4 stars

Stephen Welch Thanks, Terri, I’ll look at Dark Places as well. Also saw the film for that one!

Stephen Welch Sorry, I misspelled “Teri” ...

Nisha I heard the hype about the tv series, but decided to read the book first. I thought it was a surprisingly good adaptation. Eliza Scanlen was frighteningly good as Amma in particular. I thought the director conveyed the frustrating, small-town heat and claustrophobia very well.

Stephen Welch Has Scanlen been nominated for an Emmy? I believe Clarkson and Adams have ...

Grommit No...I read the book first. And I chose it because (1) I had read Flynn's previous work, (2) accepted the mostly positive reviews, and (3) was looking for a break from the heavier reading I was doing.
Found the book intriguing. Found the TV series dark, at times sickening. Curiously, the TV actors were disturbing, sick, profane. The book actors seemed a bit more under control. The TV environment seemed quite neat and clean, but the book environment was dark and dirty.

message 12: by Tiny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tiny I read the book first but I picked it up because I saw the trailer for the HBO series. I might watch it sometime soon.

Stephen Welch Sonam wrote: "I read the book first but I picked it up because I saw the trailer for the HBO series. I might watch it sometime soon."
Interesting that the HBO trailer inspired you to buy the book ... the marketing dept. at Random House should take note! :)

Nisha Stephen wrote: "Has Scanlen been nominated for an Emmy? I believe Clarkson and Adams have ..."
No idea! But I do think it's quite ironic that she'll be playing Beth March in the new adaptation of Little Women!

Stephen Welch Huh, that is interesting ... haven't read the latter, but isn't Beth also a character who is frequently ill?

message 16: by ME (new) - rated it 5 stars

ME I really loved the book, the series was alright but it could have been a tad bit better with the ending.

Teri Williams I feel the tv series could not put as much detail as the book only because in my opinion, just not enough time to add more depth to the characters and then you would need to make the book into a movie.

Yolanda i love the book, the tv serie was good... but they missed everything in the end, the end in the book is better.

message 19: by Stephen (last edited Jan 10, 2019 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephen Welch Yolanda wrote: "i love the book, the tv serie was good... but they missed everything in the end, the end in the book is better."

Jean-Marc Vallée, the director, said something about why he did the end the way he did: That Post-Credits Shocker

Yolanda Stephen wrote: "Yolanda wrote: "i love the book, the tv serie was good... but they missed everything in the end, the end in the book is better."

Jean-Marc Vallée, the director, said something about why he did the..."

the true, they missed a lot with the end

Stephen Welch I find it interesting, the questions a director (or the screenplay writer, I guess) faces, when undertaking to "translate" a written work into a visual medium like film or TV.

Teri Williams Stephen wrote: "Yolanda wrote: "i love the book, the tv serie was good... but they missed everything in the end, the end in the book is better."

Jean-Marc Vallée, the director, said something about why he did the..."

Lately when I see directors re-creating books into short series or movies, I always want to know how well or how much they changed the information to make it more interesting for someone that would rather see it than read it.

message 23: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Galante I read the book as soon as it came out. I haven't watched the HBO series.

Gloria Olivares I have a thing where if I see a series come out on any platform, I will look into seeing if there's a book written out there. But I will not and do not ever watch the show/movie without having read the book(s) first.

message 25: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate This is Fynn's best book by far. I read it a few years ago and the ending haunted me for quite a while. The series was absolutely brilliant and really caught the dark mood that threads through every page. If only all Flynn's books were as great as this one.

Teri Williams Kate wrote: "This is Fynn's best book by far. I read it a few years ago and the ending haunted me for quite a while. The series was absolutely brilliant and really caught the dark mood that threads through ever..."

The series is what motivated me to read the book. I enjoyed this book very much. When I started reading other books by Flynn. I became very disappointed when some other books fell short of the book Sharp Objects that I just stopped reading her books.

Tameka Fleming I don't have HBO. So, I have not seen the series. I got the book because I did see Gone Girl which was terrific. Also, I saw an interview with the entire cast of Sharp Objects. I knew Gillian Flynn was a great writer so I had to grab it. She did not disappoint.

Judith Trail I watched the series and then read the book. I thought both were remarkable. Amy Adams was absolute genius (as usual). Clarkson is a national treasure and Scanlen was so, so good. Experiencing this story through both types of media was very intense.

Stephen Welch I thought so, too ... and Adams was incredible.

Just read that Flynn apparently is producing (and writing) a series for Amazon called Utopia, due out this year (?). I don't subscribe to Prime ... argh!

Julia W The book actually led me to the series. The book really highlighted Camille's introspection and allowed the reader to fully understand her because she's complex af!

Bradley Noell I read the book first a few years back when I first discovered Flynn. I can't wait for her to write another book. The adaptions of her work have been really good so far but the books tend to be better.

Merel Definitely, but I made sure to read the book first.

Maggie Marques Yeah, but I've read the book first, still need to watch the series, I hope it's a good one!