Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Reading: Nominations > February 2019 - Time Travel & Retro

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3490 comments Mod
It is still 2018, but we are opening up the nomination thread for our February read,

The month of February is the shortest month in the year, therefore this time the first theme is Time Travel. A lot of time travel stories deal wit the past, thus the second theme is Retro Hugos. Any member is welcome to put forward a single novel for each nomination. Here is the link for everyone to use:

Time Travel
Retro Hugos

One nomination per person for each nomination.

message 2: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3667 comments Mod
The Man Who Folded Himself -- Time Travel
The Sword in the Stone -- Retro

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments Timescape, by Gregory Benford
More Than Human, by Theodore Sturgeon

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
The nominations presented so far are exactly what I was looking for.

Timescape interestests me so much because it's been a while that I wanted to try reading something of Benford's.
The Sword in the Stone is the very first title on Bryan's spreadsheet, 'nuff said.

I'd love reading The Man Who Folded Himself too eventually, but since it's a short read we might just be able to fit it in somewhere this year.

message 5: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

message 6: by Antti (last edited Dec 07, 2018 11:27PM) (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 752 comments I'd love to nominate Out of the Silent Planet by C.S.Lewis, but it's a first part of a trilogy, and the third part (That Hideous Strength) won a retro Hugo as well.

Should we reserve the Space Trilogy for later and read the whole series, or is it okay to nominate just the first book?

message 7: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3490 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "Should we reserve the Space Trilogy for later and read the whole series, or is it okay to nominate just the first book?

I think nominating the first book is ok and later, if a lot of people liked it, we can make reading the whole series as a challenge

message 8: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I've read the Space Trilogy before, though I don't remember much. I think we should read them together, though. Depending on how long, could we read them all in one month?

message 9: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
As Oleksandr mentioned, we would have to read the rest of the series as a challenge because 2nd novel in the series never won an award or was nominated for one.

Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis Total pages: 1,074

Out of the Silent Planet - 224pg HNBN
Perelandra - 314pg
That Hideous Strength - 536pg HNBN

The reason for it is the fact that we only pick award-winning titles,so that members who are not interested in reading any extra material may avoid doing so.

Still, feel free nominating it, I was looking forward to reading the trilogy.

message 10: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Dec 10, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

message 11: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 752 comments I googled a bit, and it seems that Out of the Silent Planet can be read as a stand-alone book.

message 12: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1937 comments Mod
Well, there's one novel that fits both: Pebble in the Sky, Asimov! I'd also suggest Mission of Gravity, as it's the only 1954 nominee I haven't read.

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Dec 10, 2018 04:36AM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "I googled a bit, and it seems that Out of the Silent Planet can be read as a stand-alone book."

You are correct there, Antti. However there is apparently a bigger picture to see once you have read all three novels, even though they can all be read separately. I do not possess any first-hand knowledge, but a person familiar with the trilogy mentioned that it is somewhat important reading the whole thing to understand it (though he never said whether ir was worth doing or not, I suspect it is not the most exhilarating read).

message 14: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Art wrote: "I suspect it is not the most exhilarating read."

Yes, it's neither Narnia nor the Screwtape letters. I don't really remember much about the three books at all. I know I liked the first one, Out of the Silent Planet, best.

message 15: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
I am so excited about our February reads!! I am a time travel nut! So, I like a lot of the nominations already, but I'm sad to see that no one has nominated The Accidental Time Machine!

That will be my nomination, even though I have already read it...but I would re-read it with everyone.

message 17: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Dec 13, 2018 08:53PM) (new)

Hey, if everyone wants to read Caves of Steel or Out of the Silent Planet, I'm ok with that. I read them years ago, so no prob. But the later nominated books might not work well for new members who join after we have read the others. Just my two cents.

Here's some detail:

The Caves of Steel is the first of a group contained within the robot series. Per Fantastic Fiction, here is the grouping: https://www.fantasticfiction.com/a/is...

R. Daneel Olivaw
1. The Caves of Steel (1954) nominated
2. The Naked Sun (1956)
3. The Robots of Dawn (1983) nominated
4. Robots and Empire (1985)

As R. Daneel is a obviously character in all 4 books (I've read the first 2 and he's in them), maybe 1, 2, and 3 need to be read together? And then 4 would be optional as not nominated?

BUT: GR says that there are a bunch of story collections (including I, Robot) AND a novel before The Caves of Steel. https://www.goodreads.com/series/4917...

I don't know how much The Caves of Steel would suffer from the stories not being read first. Plus, I think some of the several books in the GR list must be duplicative, like books that have both I, Robot and The Rest of the Robots together in one volume.

As to the CS Lewis book, if I recall, Out of the Silent Planet is not that connected to either Perelandra (#2) or That Hideous Strength (#3) (also nominated). But I might be wrong. Does anyone recollect details of these books?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.