Reading 1001 discussion

Past TBR lists > Leni's 2019 TBR challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leni (last edited Jul 02, 2019 04:33AM) (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments TBR

✓1. Iain Banks: The Wasp Factory****

2. Pauline Réage: Story of O

✓3. Sartre: Nausea***

✓4. Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi: Half of a Yellow Sun*****

5. Vladimir Nabokov: Pnin

6. Italo Calvino: Invisible Cities

✓7: John Fowles: The French Lieutenant's Woman****

8: Paul Auster: The New York Trilogy

9: J.G. Ballard: The Drowned World

10: David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas

11: Thomas Keneally: Schindler's Ark

12: Angela Carter: Nights at the Circus

13: Maxim Gorky: The Artamonov Business

14: Toni Morrison: The Bluest Eye

✓15: William Beckford: Vathek***

16: Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

17: Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange

✓18: Gabriel Garzia Márquez: Love in the Time of Cholera**

19: Saul Bellow: Herzog

20: Siri Hustvedt: What I Loved

21: Robert Louis Stevenson: Master of Ballantrae

22: Irène Némirovsky Suite Française

23: Doris Lessing: The Golden Notebook

24: Simone de Beauvoir: The Mandarins

message 2: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments The first 12 books are leftovers from the 2018 TBR challenge.

All 24 books are books I actually own.

Some of them are books I am really keen to read, I just somehow never get around to it. Others I know I will never get around to unless someone tells me, "Here, you are reading this next". A couple of them are long enough to make me nervous.

message 3: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 350 comments Your reasoning is exactly what I'm thinking! I have Love in the Time of Cholera on my list as well. For some reason, I'm really intimated by this, and will probably never get to it unless it gets chosen this year, lol. Good luck :)

message 4: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments Hilde wrote: "Your reasoning is exactly what I'm thinking! I have Love in the Time of Cholera on my list as well. For some reason, I'm really intimated by this, and will probably never get to it unle..."

I had that on a different challenge two years ago, and didn't get around to reading it. :P I kept postponing it and then I ran out of year. But with the TBR challenge it's like "This is the month, punk! Read it! Now!" So that might work. lol

message 5: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 350 comments Lol, exactly! Maybe I should just go ahead and add all those I’m dreading (looking at you, Ulysses) 😉

message 6: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments I’ve been reading Ulysses all year. I wouldn’t recommend trying to do it in just one month.

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 350 comments No, I was just kidding. I will probably never get through it, or if I do, understand it. I applaud those of you who do.

message 8: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments Made a change to the list. A Clockwork Orange fell out of the book shelf, reminding me that I have it. And I don't really want to read another D. H. Lawrence anytime soon.

I think I'm happy with the list now.

message 9: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments January book - The French Lieutenant's Woman. Read.

message 10: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments February book - Vathek. Read.

message 11: by Leni (last edited Apr 01, 2019 02:03AM) (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments March - Half of a Yellow Sun. Read. Five stars. Great book!

Now for the dreaded Love in the Time of Cholera.

message 12: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments Forgotten to update here. April book read, hated it, although the prose was lovely.

message 13: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments May book read - The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
Pretty strange and disturbing stuff, but I liked it.

message 14: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments June swap around

I'm still happy with my list so I'm only swapping out one book: Wise Children will be BOTM in July, so I'm swapping it out with a book I've acquired since the year started: The Artamonov Business

message 15: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 459 comments June book read - Sartre's Nausea. It seems fitting that I now have Simone de Beauvoir for July.