The Writing Desk discussion

Group Chats > Favorite Books/Authors

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Panic!AtTheWritingDesk (panicatthewritingdesk) | 639 comments Mod
A spot to share any amazing books you like. Give them the credit they deserve! XD
Also, share the ones you thought were bad too, just to save people some time...
My favorites have to be Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, and Sherlock Holmes. Love them and highly recommend um too...
:)

message 2: by Quiet_Stream (new)

Quiet_Stream | 16 comments I liked the Wings of Fire series, and Warriors... those were both good. I also recommend Harry Potter, even though I haven't finished the entire series... XD

message 3: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Harry Potter is fantastic!
The Hunger Games has it tied!
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull is great also!

message 4: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Harper Nicole wrote: "Harry Potter is fantastic!
The Hunger Games has it tied!
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull is great also!"

I agree. Though I must say I've never read Fablehaven. I'll have to look into it...

message 5: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Please do. It is not a very famous book, but it should be.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Brown (guardianwolfkim) JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, J. K. Rowling, Ted Dekker, Chuck black and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. They are some of my favorites :-)

message 7: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Harper Nicole wrote: "Please do. It is not a very famous book, but it should be."

Will keep it in mind ;)

message 8: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Kimberly wrote: "JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, J. K. Rowling, Ted Dekker, Chuck black and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. They are some of my favorites :-)"

I agree. Very, very strongly... XD

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Brown (guardianwolfkim) I will need to check out some of the others mentioned!

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Fisk (efisk) | 4 comments One of my favorite series is the Dragon Series from Weis and Hickman. Following the six characters they created in that series from beginning to the end was a great voyage to me. I am also partial with them because that is what got me interested in reading again.

But my all-time favorite series is R.A. Salvatore's Spearwielders Tale Series. The Woods Out Back, Dragon Slayer's Return and Dragon Dagger was awesome to read. The fact the character in the book loved Tolkien helped but I recommend that series to anyone who loves fantasy.

message 11: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Eric wrote: "One of my favorite series is the Dragon Series from Weis and Hickman. Following the six characters they created in that series from beginning to the end was a great voyage to me. I am also partial ..."

I've never read those, but I will keep them in mind... :)

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam Wilkinson | 1 comments Harry Potter !!!!

message 13: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Oh, my gosh, yes! Harry Potter is fantastic!!!

message 14: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Agreed!!! XD

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Brown (guardianwolfkim) Most definitely! That’s what actually got me on Good Reads, Harry Potter RP ^_^

message 16: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 756 comments Mod
I mean who doesn't like Harry Potter? XD

message 17: by Markus (new)

Markus | 16 comments I'll try to keep it short :p My favorites are:
Most of Brandon Sanderson's books, but especially Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series.
Night Angel Trilogy and Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks .
The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Another author I should mention is Paulo Coelho, whose books are quite different from the above, but brilliant in a different way.

message 18: by Harper Nicole (new)

Harper Nicole (harpernicole) Lexie wrote: "I mean who doesn't like Harry Potter? XD"

Sadly, I know some people. It was a sad day when I heard that they didn't like HP.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Knitter (sarah04) | 77 comments Harry Potter, The Selection, The Overlander Chronicles, The Grisha trilogy, Chains, Forged, The School for Good and Evil series, The Missing, The Shadow Children...

I HATE Twilight- major battle between my sister and I: she likes Twilight/ Despises Harry Potter and I hate twilight but LOVE the Harry Potter Series.

message 20: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

XD
I started reading The Selection, but I can never get past the first book... XD
Also, my friend borrowed it, and then I think I got it back and misplaced it XD
Does it pick up later in the series???

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Knitter (sarah04) | 77 comments Um... There are three main books, several others in the series that I have not read.

message 22: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Yeah... I have the first three, but that first book... XD
Man is it hard to get past... especially when you can't find it...
*continues looking anyway*
*looks under bed*
*chokes on dust*
*dies*
"Not under here!"
XD

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Knitter (sarah04) | 77 comments Maybe its on the bookshelf?

message 24: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Already checked XD
I have them in their little series box/package thing... IDK...
I'll check more tomorrow... has lots of homework... XD

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Knitter (sarah04) | 77 comments I understand. Homework, how fun.

message 26: by Kit-Kat (new)

Kit-Kat I love Heartless! It’s story about how the Queen of Hearts from Wonderland came to be.
It’s by one of my favorite authors, Marissa Meyer.

message 27: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Ooooooh... sounds interesting... I want to read that now...
*makes library run* XD

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Knitter (sarah04) | 77 comments That does sound interesting! Once I catch up on my reading over the summer, I will return to school and see of they have that book! I have a full shelf of books that I got for my birthday/Christmas from a friend, and books I won from giveaways, and two more books that I need to finish/start reading.

message 29: by Vernon (new)

Vernon | 2 comments Markus wrote: "I'll try to keep it short :p My favorites are:
Most of Brandon Sanderson's books, but especially Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series.
Night Angel Trilogy and Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks ...."

Stormlight, mistborn, lightbring and night angel are easily four of my top ten books/book series in fantasy seems like you have good taste!

message 30: by Vernon (new)

Vernon | 2 comments I'm huge into Brandon Sanderson and would recommend any books from his cosmere (shared universe consisting of most of his epic and young adult fantasy books.) Nuff said about that i'm sure if you like fantasy you've heard of him. I also love books of pretty much any genre if people can recommend them because as far as the genres I don't read as often I tend to do less research into good series or stand alone books. So if anyone would like to throw out their favorites I'd appreciate it and try and check them out.

message 31: by Darkling (new)

Darkling Daath (darklingdaath) | 17 comments William Blake,Hp lovecraft,Sir Conan Doyle,Clive Barker,Neil Gaiman,Alan Moore,T.S Elliot,Walt Whitman,George Orwell,Nietzsche,joe hill,Stephen king,ray bradbury,Oscar Wilde ....etc,etc.
My Saga the lord of the rings as fantasy I love Tolkien ...

message 32: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Darkling wrote: "William Blake,Hp lovecraft,Sir Conan Doyle,Clive Barker,Neil Gaiman,Alan Moore,T.S Elliot,Walt Whitman,George Orwell,Nietzsche,joe hill,Stephen king,ray bradbury,Oscar Wilde ....etc,etc.
My Saga th..."

OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhh!!!! ^-^
Sir Conan Doyle!!!
I love the tales of Sherlock Holmes!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (semcmullin) | 1 comments I love Gillian Bradshaw, Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion trilogy and her Sharing Knife and Penric's Demon series, C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series, Patricia McKillip, and Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni, among many others

message 34: by Panic!AtTheWritingDesk, Creator of TheWritingDesk (new)

Susan wrote: "I love Gillian Bradshaw, Lois McMaster Bujold's Curse of Chalion trilogy and her Sharing Knife and Penric's Demon series, C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series, Patricia McKillip, and Helene Wecker's The..."

Those all sound very interesting! I'll be sure to look them up and give them a visit if I can find the time! ^-^