Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Alissa's 12 + 2 Classic Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alissa (last edited May 24, 2019 09:28AM) (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I took a year off from this challenge and tried to do my own thing, and I failed miserably haha So I'm back to it!!

Alissa's 12 + 2 Classic Challenge 2019

1899 and earlier
1. Les Misérables, 1862
2. Great Expectations, 1860
3. Uncle Tom's Cabin, 1852

1900-1999
4. The Alchemist, 1988 COMPLETED 3/13/19, 5 stars
5. Bastard Out of Carolina, 1992 COMPLETED 2/1/19, 3 stars
6. Jamaica Inn, 1935

My Wild Card Six
7. A Streetcar Named Desire, 1947
8. Mildred Pierce, 1941 COMPLETED 5/24/ 3 Stars
9. The Stepford Wives, 1972 COMPLETED 4/1/19- 3 stars
10. Heart of Darkness, 1899
11. Franny and Zooey, 1961
12. Travels with Charley: In Search of America, 1962

Alternates
A-1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, 1943
A-2. Lonesome Dove, 1985

Currently reading:

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
I’ve read 6 of your 12 and both alternates, really nice selection. You already know my feelings on Les Miserables, it is a long hard read and for me worth every minute. Lonesome Dove is also in my top 10 favorite list. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, have fun.

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2381 comments I've read 11 of yours, Alissa! You have so many good ones!
I am interested in Mildred Pierce. I don't know much about it and will be watching to see what your think of it. Happy Reading! :)

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1600 comments A great list. I also hope to read Bastard Out of Carolina next year, but then again I meant to this year as well. Enjoy your challenge!

message 5: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Bob wrote: "I’ve read 6 of your 12 and both alternates, really nice selection. You already know my feelings on Les Miserables, it is a long hard read and for me worth every minute. Lonesome Dove is also in my ..."

Thats why Les Mis is #1, Bob. I was So mad at myself for not getting to it in 2018 haha

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Alissa wrote: "Bob wrote: "I’ve read 6 of your 12 and both alternates, really nice selection. You already know my feelings on Les Miserables, it is a long hard read and for me worth every minute. Lonesome Dove is..."

I hope you enjoy it. I read Les Mis this year, and absolutely loved it! You've got a great list there. Great Expectations is another one of my favourites. I hope you have fun with your challenge, and enjoy your books :)

message 7: by Faouzia (new)

Faouzia | 34 comments This is a great list Alissa! I read les Miserables and Great Expectations and loved both. The Alchemist is also an interesting book. I hope you enjoy your challenge:)

message 8: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2604 comments I want to read Les Mis too. I will keep suggesting it for re-read until others agree to the timing :-)

message 9: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) CURRENTLY READING:

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

message 10: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

"That's what alchemists do. They show that, when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too"

A stunner of a book. All the stars.

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
I bought a copy of Bastard earlier this year, not exactly sure why. I think sometime in the past I have read one of her short stories, this is just a way of following up. I have no idea what to expect. As for The Alchemist, I remember liking the story, but not all the way to 5 stars.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3094 comments Alissa wrote: "finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

"That's what alchemists do. They show that, when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too"

A stunner of a boo..."

The Alchemist was a five-star book for me too. I love parable-type writing and I read it at a time I need to get out of being stuck in negativity. It helped!

message 13: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Completed The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin .

3 stars

This book shows a bit of wear and tear in terms of pop culture references (one of the men telling Joanna how cassettes will change the future. Snort), but the overall theme and plotline holds up pretty well. Creeeeeeeepy!

message 14: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4825 comments Mod
Creeeeeeeepy! that kind of says a lot. Maybe I will come across a copy some day.

message 15: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Finished Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain

3 Stars

For me, this started off really strong, then wavered a bit in the middle, but man oh man, that ending. Her daughter, Veda, is an evil little minx isn't she????

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra Alissa, well done! You're doing great on your challenge.