What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, #1)
This topic is about Foundling
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy book, young adult. The books protagonist is male but has a feminine name and because of that he gets bullied. Spoilers ahead! [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haven (new)

Haven | 2 comments Spoilers will come here in the order that I remember it, be warned! I read this a minimum of 5 years ago so the details are fuzzy.
Alright, so like previously stated the book is about a young man(child? dont remember) and he got abandon so he grows up in an orphanage in which he gets bullied because his feminine name. He wants to be a guide(or something like that) and must travel to a location to learn the skills needed. I remember there being monsters and such in the world, that were feared. I also remember there being humans who are implanted with monster parts giving them special abilites so they can battle the monsters. These humans where also feared.

The protagonist travels, coming to a boat and starting to travel with that boat. Dont remember the exact details but I think the boat was destroyed in a battle with a water monster and the protagonist making it to land and starting to travel on foot. I may missrember the boat being destroyed by the monster, it could have made it out functional. But he starts travalling and eventually coming upon a carrage with two people on it. One is a human with implanted monster parts and her servant. They allow the protagonist to travel with them.

Eventually they come upon a bridge which is guarded by a troll(or some similar monster). It demands a toll before they can pass the bridge. The Human with the monster implants attacks the monster, refusing to pay a toll.

Later the protagonist feels bad for what happened to the monster who guarded the bridge, dont remember who but one of his traveling companions give him a warning that feeling bad towards monsters is dangerous.

Well this is all that I can really remember. I hope someone can help me, have been looking for the book for years.

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1255 comments Searching: "book" "orphanage" "girl's name" this book came up:
Foundling by D.M. Cornish
Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, #1) by D.M. Cornish
Set in the world of the Half-Continent—a land of tri-corner hats and flintlock pistols—the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy is a world of predatory monsters, chemical potions and surgically altered people. Foundling begins the journey of Rossamund, a boy with a girl’s name, who is just about to begin a dangerous life in the service of the Emperor. What starts as a simple journey is threatened by encounters with monsters—and people, who may be worse. Learning who to trust and who to fear is neither easy nor without its perils, and Rossamund must choose his path carefully.
Complete with appendices, maps, illustrations, and a glossary, Monster Blood Tattoo grabs readers from the first sentence and immerses them in an entirely original fantasy world with its own language and lore.

The readers mention that he grew up in an orphanage and that he is bullied because of his name. Published in 2006.
Hope this is it!

message 3: by Haven (new)

Haven | 2 comments It is indeed the Foundling by D.M. Cornish.
Thank you so much Mai for helping me find it again :)

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1255 comments You're welcome! I'm glad this was your book :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Foundling (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

D.M. Cornish (other topics)