CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > w/o December 7 to 13, 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4238 comments Mod
Good morning Readers!!

It is hard to believe we are in the final countdown for meeting our book goals, whether our goals are a certain number of books, to finish our Canadian book BINGO or a Cross-Canada reading challenge!

To get in the festive spirit, check out the Secret Santa thread for some excitement and mystery!!

I hope everyone is still fitting in some reading time! What are you reading, what is next and are you choosing any holiday reads (you may want to review and comment in the December monthly read thread on your festive reading).

Have a great Friday!!

message 2: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Dec 07, 2018 04:26AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2037 comments Good morning everyone! Here in eastern Newfoundland, we are digging out from the 30 cm of snow that fell overnight. I made it to the office on time this morning, although I'm one of the few. I just started Monday so I don't want to make a bad impression in my first week!!

I gave up on the book I was reading last week - The Golden State. It was an ARC from NetGalley and I just couldn't get into it at all. Besides, it's high time to start on some festive reading. I'm now reading another from NetGalley - One Day in December, but this one is turning out to be lots of fun. It's romance, which is not my favourite genre, but we all need a palate cleanser now and then.

In audio, I'm still working on Little Women. One of my reading goals this year was to read one classic per month, but this one will only bring me to nine. Since I'm focusing on Christmas books for the rest of December, I probably won't fit anymore in this year. Unless I reread some Dickens....

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra | 835 comments Good morning everyone! Happy Weekend!

@Allison: I hear you on giving up on a book. I gave up on Men Explain Things to Me last week. I'm interested in the topic but this sounded like a lot of pontificating and rallying up the forces. I may go back to it next year to see if this may have just been the wrong time for me to read it. I want to be fair.
It's never wrong to read Dickens. :D

Last week I finished There There. While I really enjoyed the story and it made me think about a lot of issues, I don't think I got it completely. The ending baffled me.

I'm now reading Remembering the Bones and enjoying it. It's been sitting on the shelf for some years now. I've decided to read books from my shelf until the end of the year because...well, they're overflowing.

I'm listening to The Martian during my commutes and loving it. It's light, funny, interesting and just a tone of fun. The audio brings out the humor. It's not great writing and some dialogue is corny but that doesn't matter. The story is pulling me right along.

While jogging, I'm still listening to The Girls in the Picture, which is an interesting look at the early days of film making, Mary Pickford and Frances Marion (who I hadn't even heard of until now & who was a big deal in those days).
Hubby set up a small TV by the treadmill so now I'm listening to my book, while watching muted TV while on the treadmill. It's an interesting experience. LOL!

With all the talk about The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries, I found a copy to look into over the Holidays. It's huge! I love the cover and am enjoying having it just sitting on the side table. I think my step-dad will enjoy the stories in it as well.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 927 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished Antigone and Eyrie. It was interesting reading Antigone after having read Home Fire but not really that illuminating. I loved Eyrie. Tim Winton is such a wonderful writer. After I finished it, I fell down a rabbit hole on Goodreads of people debating the ending of the book. I ended up rereading the final scene to make sure I hadn't misunderstood the whole thing (I hadn't!). People are funny.

I'm almost finished The Library Book, which I've enjoyed very much. I'm also reading Winter, which is good so far but I find that Ali Smith is better read in big chunks over a weekend than in smaller portions during a busy week. This novel begins on Christmas Eve, so it will qualify as my holiday read. I'll post about it on that thread when I've read more of it. :-)

message 5: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 278 comments Good morning from the snowy Rockies! I attended a book launch this week for local author Maureen Thorpe, who has written her first novel titled Tangle of Time. It's so new that it isn't on Goodreads yet, but I have linked to the Amazon site. It's about a novice witch named Annie who time-travels back to medieval Yorkshire. I've read the book, and it's very good. The launch was a fun event with about 40 people in attendance, and Maureen served authentic medieval treats including sweet cakes and wassail!

https://www.amazon.ca/Tangle-Time-Mau...

message 6: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments The past week I only managed to finish the audiobook All Things Consoled: A Daughter's Memoir, beautifully written but very sad to listen to.
I started Little Women also, and am enjoying it very much. It's a perfect book to read for December. Also listening to Becoming rather than reading it, as December is just too busy and my library loan for the audiobook came through miraculously. It is narrated by the author, all 19+hours of it, and I am enjoying it!
Another Office x'mas party tonight, so not likely to be reading, and tomorrow will be a recovery day, LOL!
Have a great weekend everyone!

message 7: by Story (last edited Dec 07, 2018 09:49AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) Sweet cakes and wassail and time travelling witches sound fun, Elinor!

Lots of 5 stars reading happening at my house as we all settle into hygge season. I finished and loved French Exit--any book that makes me laugh out loud is a treasured addition to my library.

I also enjoyed The House of Lost and Found, a beautifully illustrated picture book about how a gesture from a child changes a lonely old man's life.

And I was completely gripped by Claire Messud's The Woman Upstairs and am looking forward to reading more of her work.

On of my goals for 2019 is to (try to) learn to appreciate poetry so I'm reading Canadian poet Adam Sol's How a Poem Moves: A Field Guide for Readers Afraid of Poetry. So far it's not working...I read 3 lines of the poem on offer and my attention wanders away...

Finally, I'm looking forward to re-reading Atwood's Good Bones and Simple Murders

message 8: by Story (last edited Dec 07, 2018 09:50AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) @Susan, I'll be looking forward to hearing how you like Winter. I'm generally a huge Ali Smith fan and loved Autumn to bits but just couldn't get through Winter, though I tried it three times. Should I hope for 4th time lucky?

message 9: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 562 comments Well i jumped the gun and read Open Heart, Open Mind, forgetting that I had slotted it in for the 2019 Bingo. Actually a lot of the books I want to read right now, I have slotted for the Bingo, so I need to find some non-Canadian literature for the rest of the year.
I am currently reading The Nightingale which I am loving

message 10: by Mj (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:12PM) (new)

Mj | 1188 comments @ Heather (Gibby) - lol Great plans gone awry - so easy to happen. Thankfully there are great authors on both sides of the 49th parallel. I really enjoyed The Nightingale. Hope you continue to do so. I appreciated its different WW11 slant. I also enjoyed Open Heart, Open Mind but not as much even though I'm a huge Clara Hughes's sports and Canada Reads fan.

@ Susan - I'm with you about readers sometimes being funny. Am always amazed/amused about how hung up people get on book endings. :) I am also frequently surprised how some readers have no tolerance for an author who writes a different type of book than a previous book they've read and enjoyed (painters don't keep painting the same scenes over and over again, so why should authors? ) Also it seems a shame to let punctuation or other technicalities or minor flaws stand in the way of appreciating a book's "bigger picture." I guess we all have different ticks and tocks in our clocks.

There are lots of great books being read by everyone. Such a variety. It seems a shame to pass on some of them.....but am trying to keep my "possibility pile" somewhat achievable.

This week I finished Dear Evelyn. I can see why this book won the Rogers Trust Fiction Award and look forward to reading more of Kathy Page's books. It's just the first book I've read of hers but she seems to be an excellent, under-recognized and therefore under-respected author - something akin to Helen Humphreys on people's radars.

I also read Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg - an unexpected sequel to The Story of Arthur Truluv which I loved. The sequel was lukewarm at best.

Hope to hunker down and get some of Holiday Reads done plus finish a book due for next week's in-person book club.

Have a great week everyone!!

message 11: by Elinor (last edited Dec 08, 2018 07:16AM) (new)

Elinor | 278 comments Storyheart wrote: "Sweet cakes and wassail and time travelling witches sound fun, Elinor!

Lots of 5 stars reading happening at my house as we all settle into hygge season. I finished and loved French Exit by Agatha Christie.

@Storyheart based on your recommendation, I plan to read French Exit.
I also picked up a paperback at my thrift store yesterday which seems appropriate for the season: The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 174 comments It has been a busy week with Christmas preparation and parties, but I managed to get some reading done. I finished Transcription, which I quite enjoyed. It isn't my favorite Kate Atkinson book, but her writing is always wonderful.

I then read a quick and easy Christmas book, Two from Galilee: The Story of Mary and Joseph, a re-telling of the story of Mary and Joseph as a bit of a sappy romance. It fleshes out the story, and makes you think about how their families and community might have reacted to the surprising events.

I am now reading Graphene: The Superstrong, Superthin, and Superversatile Material That Will Revolutionize the World for my local book club. I don't have much time to finish it as we meet on Wednesday. It is forcing me to try to remember my rusty chemistry knowledge, which might be a good thing, but I feel I need something a bit lighter during this busy season!!!

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Slow reading week for me. I'm still makine my way through Robert Aickman's short stories in Compulsory Games.

In audio I am listening to a FABULOUS BOOK! Nicole Lundrigan is Canada's most under-rated author IMO. Everything I have read of hers so far has been fantastic and this one appears to be equally so. The Substitute. Finally a GOOD psychological thriller. Reminds me of Patricia Highsmith in quality, both writing and story. Now I must dig out her other books that I haven't read yet. Why has this woman never been nominated for a Giller????

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Petra wrote: "Last week I finished There There. While I really enjoyed the story and it made me think about a lot of issues, I don't think I got it completely. The ending baffled me.."

I loved that book but do feel it needs a re-read to really get to the real meat and I agree about the ending. I wish it had ended differently.

message 15: by Petra (new)

Petra | 835 comments Thanks, Louise. I listened to the audio and did wonder if a reread of the print book would be helpful. I think I'll plan on doing that sometime in the New Year. It is worth exploring more.

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4238 comments Mod
I am late joining the party this week and have been slowly reading. I finished Too Young to Escape by a local author. She had met a family who had escaped Vietnam, leaving the youngest child with the aunt and grandmother and being reunited 8 years later. The entire family came to the boat launch. It is a middle grade book but a story that makes one reflect on how lucky we are to be Canadian.

for book club, i read The Christmas Star which was an easy listen with a predictable, happy ending.

Now i am read The Tent, a couple stories each night (thank you secret Santa) and slowly reading The World According to Garp. I am almost done listening to The Bookshop of Yesterdays and looking forward to some holiday downtime to read and relax. only because i am posting late, i have finished Becoming (yesterday) and will speak to it on friday.

@Susan - i want to read the Library book - i had it from the library but due to too many holds at once had to return it.

@Elinor -that sounds like fun!

@Heather(Gibby) - i loved the Nightingale!!!