Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > A&U Giveaways - Early 2019 releases

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 65 comments Happy December Aussie Readers - just in time for holiday reading we've got a final selection of advance copies for you to enjoy, a few from January and February which we'll be sending out before Christmas - perfect if anyone has ignored your hints to leave books under your tree!

Flight Risk is a perfect holiday read, though maybe best avoided if you're flying anywhere, as it's based around the premise of planes going missing from the sky! An Australian ex-pilot turned spy races against the clock to find out what's happened to them in this highly original and utterly gripping read. Flight Risk is a white-knuckle ride of nonstop suspense - a high-octane thriller full of pure adrenaline, explosive action and jaw-dropping revelations.

One for fans of Barry Maitland or anyone who loves a good crime novel, as he returns with another in his Brock and Kolla series with The Promised Land. We do love reading novels about books and publishers and this one is no different, as a publisher faces investigation for a series of murders and a manuscript holds the key to solving this enthralling mystery.

Emily Brewin returns in February with Small Blessings, following her wonderful debut Hello, Goodbye. Small Blessings is a poignant and uplifting tale of secrets, motherhood, innocence and heartache, and ultimately what we're willing to do for love.

Finally, one we're sure many readers will be excited about, as Karen Viggers returns to Tasmania, the setting of her favourite The Lightkeeper's Wife, with new novel The Orchardist's Daughter. Set in the old-growth eucalypt forests and vast rugged mountains of southern Tasmania, The Orchardist's Daughter is an uplifting story about friendship, resilience and finding the courage to break free.

You can learn more about all these books, and request one (or a few) of them, over on our website: www.allenandunwin.com/aussie-readers.

Thanks as ever for all the reviews and requests of our books this year, it's always wonderful to see them find happy homes and support for our wonderful authors, particularly the Australian ones.

Finally, if you're in need of any book suggestions for gifting (or yourself), take a look at our Gift Guide, where we've collected lots of great suggestions for readers of all ages and interests - you can also win a stack of your most wanted books

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1606 comments Thanks, and happy holidays to all you lovely people.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6272 comments Thanks for the opportunity A&U! Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a great 2019.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69306 comments Mod
Many thanks Allen & Unwin - best wishes to you all for the festive season!

message 5: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 326 comments Thank you Allen & Unwin for the opportunities you have provided us all, Merry Christmas to you all :)

message 6: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8143 comments Thank you A&U for our Chrissy Presents 😊

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4557 comments Thank you Allen & Unwin. Merry Christmas to you all. 😊

message 8: by Sharah (new)

Sharah McConville | 432 comments Thanks Allen & Unwin. Merry Christmas!

message 9: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Lewis | 362 comments Thanks so much Allen & Unwin, Merry Christmas

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (silphil) | 39 comments Wow, loads of great sounding releases coming up!

Thanks for the opportunity A&U.

Merry Christmas!

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments I have entered! Thank you so much for the opportunity.

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb | 203 comments Decisions, decisions! They all look like great reads. Thank you.

message 13: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Wow, they all look fantastic! Thanks so much Allen & Unwin, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas :)

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments Thanks Allen & Unwin. Looking forward to reading these.

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3148 comments Thank you guys, great reads as ever!

message 16: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5836 comments Many thanks Allen & Unwin. Happy Christmas to all there.

message 17: by marlin1 (last edited Dec 10, 2018 12:37PM) (new)

marlin1 | 393 comments Thank you, some brillant books there
Have a wonderful Christmas break 😃

message 18: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 65 comments Lucky winners should be receiving books very shortly - they might even make it to you for Christmas, hopefully that'll keep you going over the summer!

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks A&U - I received two from you today :)

message 20: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Mine were on the doorstep when I got home, thanks so much A&U, can't wait to read them :)

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4557 comments Just checked the mailbox and there was one waiting for me in there. Thank you A&U

message 22: by Allen and Unwin (last edited Dec 20, 2018 09:27PM) (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 65 comments Great to hear, happy reading!

We've also just made our next batch of books available, and these will be sent out early next year, so plenty of time to peruse our selection!

message 23: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8143 comments Thanks, A&U, lovely Chrissy gifts for book lovers!!

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments Thank you, A&U - parcel left on the doorstep! Looking forward to some holiday reading!

message 25: by Lola & Puki (new)

Lola & Puki (lolaandpuki) | 9 comments Thanks Allen & Unwin for the early Christmas gifts!

message 26: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 393 comments Parcel for me today too. Thank you A&U

message 27: by cherryjellybeans (new)

cherryjellybeans (cherryandjellybeans) | 20 comments Thanks for Flight Risk A&U

message 28: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (silphil) | 39 comments Thanks A&U for Flight Risk and Small Blessings!!

message 29: by Deb (new)

Deb | 203 comments Received The Promised Land and The Orchardist’s Daughter in the post today! Thank you! Now to start The Promised Land. Need to find a comfy spot with no distractions. Happy reading everyone.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments I have just recieved Flight Risk; Many Thanks!!
I am really looking forward to starting in as soon as I can in the new year.

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments I have started Small Blessings so far I am enjoing it.

message 32: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve | 104 comments I arrived home from spending Christmas with my family to find Small Blessings waiting for me. Thank you Allen & Unwin.

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments I am reading and thoroughly enjoying Flight Risk by Michael McGuire , thank you so much A&U!

One thing I have noticed is this:

the author link goes to this guy; https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Now, there is not a lot of personal info there, but he has a LOT of books to his name. Many of them are USA books or about religion. The author of 'Flight Risk' however, is a senior editor of Australian newspapers (Adelaide SA), and this is either his debut novel (as it says on the introduction page) or his second (as it says on the blurb).

It is not an uncommon name and I am pretty sure the authors got confused.

Not sure what I should do about it... I have made a comment on GR librarians page,but perhaps there is something more I should do?

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Deborah wrote: "I am reading and thoroughly enjoying Flight Risk by Michael McGuire, thank you so much A&U!

the author link goes to this guy; https://www.goodreads.com/author..."

All fixed Deborah :) He has two books out - Never a True Word published 2017, and now Flight Risk

message 35: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments Brenda wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I am reading and thoroughly enjoying Flight Risk by Michael McGuire, thank you so much A&U!

the author link goes to this guy; https://www.good..."

Many thanks yous Brenda. The librarians request went very weird very quickly...

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ha! You're welcome :)

message 37: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 326 comments Thanks A&U for my copies of Small Blessings and The Orchardist's Daughter both gratefully recieved before Christmas :)

message 38: by Deb (new)

Deb | 203 comments Just finished The Promised Land. Loved it!!!
Twists and turns everywhere. Kept me guessing.
Great read!

message 39: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 65 comments Deb wrote: "Just finished The Promised Land. Loved it!!!
Twists and turns everywhere. Kept me guessing.
Great read!"

Great to hear Deb!

Hope you all enjoyed your holiday reading, whether with these books or others :)

message 40: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3148 comments A big thank you for Small Blessings!