Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Beta Readers > Beta Readers Needed for Historical Fiction Novel

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments Genre: Historical Fiction
Word Count: 76,000
POV: Third Person - two POV's
Number of Beta Readers needed: 3-4 would be nice.
Level of Violence: it is based in World War One so there is some violence but not overly graphic.

To give you a little taste I have written the back cover blurb:

Will this be the Ultimate Diversion

1917, two attempts to break through the Turkish defences at Gaza have failed. The British High Command plan one last push – Beersheba. To achieve this objective, the little-known position of Umbrella Hill must be acquired at all costs. Defended by a network of heavily armed trenches this is the Ultimate Diversion.

Tom Middleton, a 36-year-old builders labourer from Derbyshire, though well-respected and a pillar of the community he is lonely and sees the outbreak of war a chance to escape his humdrum life. Upon hearing of the sinking of the Lusitania, Tom decides to enlist not only to get away from his boring life but to protect his family and the country he loves.
Expecting to be sent to the battlefields of France, Tom, and his new friends are catapulted into the heat and dust of garrison duty in Egypt. A country where disease is rampant, debauchery just around the corner and death hides in plain sight.
What he discovers on his journey is the welcome world of men, and the strict regime of military life is not everything. Amid this turmoil, he meets a fiery young nurse, Ella, who helps him come to terms with the death of his friend and shows him what love is and what it means to be loved. As romance blossoms, Tom’s life merges with the life of this fiery young nurse.
As the eve of the third battle for Gaza looms, Tom and Ella are torn apart by the rigid rules and a hidden secret.
Will their love survive the desert storm that is about to hit them, will they be together at the end?

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 297 comments Mod
Hi, Emma,

Is your story mostly historical fiction or historical romance?

How soon would you need feedback on it?

message 3: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments It's more historical romance. I'd love to get feedback within 4-6 weeks. But with Xmas weeks understand if it took longer.

message 4: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 69 comments As an Aussie, I was hoping for a mention of the Light Horse. But a romance involving cavalry might be misunderstood.

All the best to you, Emma!

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I would be happy to read this. You can send it to as Word doc or PDF to kathryn@ranchreader.com. It sounds interesting!

message 6: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments Kathryn wrote: "I would be happy to read this. You can send it to as Word doc or PDF to kathryn@ranchreader.com. It sounds interesting!"

Hi Kathryn, just sent you the PDF, hope you enjoy it.

message 7: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments Kathy wrote: "Hi, Emma,

Is your story mostly historical fiction or historical romance?

How soon would you need feedback on it?"

Hi Kathy,
I just sent you a mobi file I hope you enjoy it

message 8: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments Tito wrote: "As an Aussie, I was hoping for a mention of the Light Horse. But a romance involving cavalry might be misunderstood.

All the best to you, Emma!"

That could be interesting, however, Tom is actually my Great Uncle so this story is Factional. Based on an actual person but the story is fictional.

message 9: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments Hi All,
thank you all for your lovely comments.

I thought I would share a little bit more information. The character Tom Middleton is actually my Great Uncle, and all his family members are real.

message 10: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Gaulton | 7 comments Just an update. My story is best described as historical fiction with romance. Thanks Kathy for correcting me.