Queens of the Realm Book Club 2019 discussion

General > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 31 comments Mod
Hi guys, this is the place where you can introduce yourselves and mingle with fellow members. By means of introduction, I thought it would be fun to share the kinds of fantasy that you enjoy, and your favorite female fantasy author.

So, my name is Chris. I love all types of fantasy, but have a special love for good old epic fantasy and sword and sorcery. My favorite female fantasy author, is definitely Robin Hobb. She writes characters with such depth and emotional pull that you instantly feel invested in them. A close second for me is Lynn Flewelling (Alec and Seregil have my heart).

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Organdie (organdie) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm so excited about this book club! I love fantasy, but I don't often seem to find the right fantasy for me. Hearing Chris talk about this group, I think it may well be because - as a very general rule - the male authors I have read do not do a great job with their female characters.

I have enjoyed Robin Hobb in the past and I must get around to continuing on with her books. A recent (younger audience) favourite is Jessica Townsend.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 10 comments Hello all,

Excited for this 2019 adventure.😊

Though I love fantasy, I have not read a ton. One of my favorite authors of the genre is definitely Ursula K Le Guin (still need to read her Earth Sea series). Some highlights I’ve read this year are Juliet Marilliers Daughter of the forest; The Found and the lost (Collected Novellas) of Ursula K LeGuin, and The Heir of Night by Helen Lowe.

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi was a fun and entertaining YA reading experience.

Looking forward to reading our first pick. Thank you for creating this group, Chris!

message 4: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery Heileson | 3 comments Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

I love reading Fantasy novels/series and am excited to start this adventure with all of you. The focus of my reading since childhood until four years ago was Fantasy. I still read 4 or 5 Fantasy books per year, but I definitely miss it! I look forward to the discussions and thank you Chris for hosting!

- Jeff

message 5: by Annette (new)

Annette | 1 comments Hi guys!

I definitely prefer epic fantasy, but I like anything that is character driven. I'm having trouble coming up with my favorite female fantasy author at the moment, but I've enjoyed Kate Forsyth and K Arsenault Rivera lately.

message 6: by Rick (new)

Rick (rickmacdonnell) Hello everyone!

I'm a longtime epic fantasy fan, my favourite series being the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (and anything Tad Williams, really). My favourite female fantasy writer would depend on when you asked me. As a kid I was a HUGE Dragonlance fan and Margaret Weis played a huge part in shaping me as a reader. Now that I'm older I'm a pretty big fan of Janny Wurtz (her Wars of Light and Shadow series is terrific).

I don't think I'll be able to read our January book, as I've already locked myself into reading the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in January. But I'll jump in when I can. Will follow along, nonetheless!

(If anyone is a BookTube person, you can find me here and say hi: https://www.youtube.com/c/AnotherBook...)

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (rubeushagrid) | 5 comments Hi everyone! I'm Emily. Very excited to be a part of this and discover new female fantasy authors. Lately I've been reading N. K. Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy and enjoying it. I hope to start reading Robin Hobb in 2019. I know this is super cliché, but I do want to give a shoutout to J. K. Rowling for instilling a love of the fantasy genre in little seven-year-old me.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (donthaveadegreeinreading) | 2 comments Hi, everyone! My name is Ashley and I am so very excited to join in on this buddy read. :) I have had Black Sun Rising on my shelf since 2015 and had no idea that the author was female. I love reading fantasy, but have only in the past year started to expand my fantasy love outside of ASOIAF and HP.

message 9: by Ľudmila (new)

Ľudmila | 8 comments Hi! I'm Sara from Slovakia :) Most of my fantasy reads were by male authors because there aren't many female fantasy authors translated into Slovak. I started reading books in English maybe five years ago and I wasn't good at picking the right reads, most of it were YA fantasy series (J.K. Rowling, Leigh Bardugo, Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Seanan McGuire) :D Goodreads and booktube are helping a lot :D My favourite fantasy book at the moment is Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke and I can't wait to read more awesome books :)

message 10: by Shana (new)

Shana Potter Monroe | 2 comments Hi everyone. I’m so excited to be a part of this read along group. I just got a copy of the January book and can’t wait to start it. I’m excited to talk to all of you about the books.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (rubeushagrid) | 5 comments I managed to get a copy from the library. Has anyone started reading yet?

message 12: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mercysbookishmusings) | 2 comments Hey :)

I’m Mercedes and I’m so excited about this book club so thanks Chris!
My favourite fantasy author is Robin Hobb and I’ve recently started reading Juliet Marillier and think she could become a new favourite!

message 13: by Francisca (new)

Francisca (saarthur) | 1 comments Hey everyone :)

I'm a bit of newie with fantasy to be honest but I thought this group would be the perfect excuse to push myself to read more (especially by female authors)

Elena (Elemar Books) (elemarbooks) Hello all

I'm Elena and I was so happy to hear about this book club. I really enjoy fantasy and am really excited to hopefully find some new to me female fantasy authors. 😊

message 15: by Kristan (new)

Kristan (litlistening) Hi everyone! I never joined a book club so fast after hearing Mercedes and Chris talking about it.
I’m Kristan. I read a lot of fantasy but realized last year that a lot of it was by male authors or focused on male characters, so it was my goal this year to read more women-centric stories. I love epic fantasy when I can get invested in a long series, but also like standalones when they have really great characters. My favorite female fantasy author is Naomi Novik (for her Temeraire series) and also really like NK Jemison.

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments Hi, excited to be part of his group.

message 17: by Christelle (new)

Christelle (krysialisica) | 1 comments Hello everyone! I'm Christelle, I am a fantasy novice and the group is a great opportunity to discover this genre (and amazing female authors). I canny wait to read the book of the month,

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather Hey everyone! My name's Heather and I'm really excited to read more female fantasy authors. I read almost exclusively science fiction and fantasy - I've always loved the genre so I'm happy someone made this group! I've recently been disappointed by a lot of more traditional fantasy books so my top authors are pretty YA heavy right now lol sorry!

Some of my faves include V.E. Schwab (A Darker Shade of Magic); and Laini Taylor (Strange the Dreamer and Daughter of Smoke and Bone), as well as several authors who I adored in my angsty teen years haha (Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Cinda Williams Chima, Kristin Cashore, etc.).

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin Silver (erinsilvy) | 1 comments Hey everyone, I'm Erin. I read a lot of sci-fi but I'm actually pretty new to fantasy. I'm really excited to get into the genre though, especially with woman authors!

message 20: by Umut (new)

Umut (umutreads) Hi All, I'm Umut. I'm also not so familiar with fantasy, so I really liked the idea of this group thinking I could try different authors and discover what I like :)

message 21: by Umut (new)

Umut (umutreads) Mercedes wrote: "Hey :)

I’m Mercedes and I’m so excited about this book club so thanks Chris!
My favourite fantasy author is Robin Hobb and I’ve recently started reading Juliet Marillier and think she could beco..."

I decided to pick up Ship Of Magic after watching your video :) I'm quite excited for it.

message 22: by Kait (new)

Kait | 1 comments Hi Everyone!

Really looking forward to taking part in this book club. I’ve loved fantasy since I was a kid and grew up on Harry Potter and Tamora Pierce. As an adult I’ve been having a harder time finding fantasy that I like although I have really enjoyed ASOIF and Brandon Sanderson. I don’t know that I’ve really found a favourite female fantasy author which is why I thought joining this book club would be a good idea. Looking forward to discussing with everyone!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela My name is Angela and I never read fantasy. I am hoping that, by following along with the posts, I will become intrigued and excited to pick something up in future. In the beginning, however, I will just sit back and see what kind of discussions happen. Hopefully the fun everyone is having in the group will make me want to run out and grab some fantasy and finally figure out why everyone is so invested in the genre.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) | 1 comments Hi my name is toria (vikzwrites). I love fantasy. I want to read more books written by women. So, this group is a perfect fit for me, looking forward to reading with you

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments I'm feeling late to the party, but so excited to be participating!

My name is Jessica, and I read a fair bit of fantasy, but also read broadly, so sometimes I'm not reading as much fantasy as I'd like. I think it really says something that so many of us love Robin Hobb - she's fantastic, but when I had to think about my favourite fantasy authors, SO many that immediately came to mind were male.

So. My library copy has just arrived on my desk (as I'm fortunate to work a public librarian) so I'll be getting started on it soon! Lovely to meet you all :)

message 26: by LeeAnna (new)

LeeAnna After finding the only copy of Black Sun Rising at my local used book shop I decided it was fated for me to join this group. I am thrilled that I found a copy and can now participate; I used to read a good amount of fantasy but have not done so in the past few years. This group seems like a great opportunity to rectify that dilemma!

message 27: by M (new)

M Beal Hello everyone. I love fantasy and am very excited to be part of this group.

message 28: by In (new)

In Kell | 2 comments Hello! I'm Eri and I've spent the last year and a half in a huge reading slump, but I'm getting out of it ☺
I'm fairly new to fantasy, so I hope to discover new favourites with this book club, even though I'm a month late

message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex | 3 comments Hi all!! I'm Alex - I read a LOT of SFF as a kid but fell off it until last year when I read Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy and Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards trilogy last winter. Since then, I've been meaning to broaden my SFF reading but haven't, so I'm excited to really dig into this bookclub!

Can I ask, is there a February book? I see the March poll but I can't see the February pick anywhere. Thanks!!

message 30: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 31 comments Mod
Alex wrote: "Hi all!! I'm Alex - I read a LOT of SFF as a kid but fell off it until last year when I read Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy and Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards trilogy last winter. Since then, I've ..."

Hey Alex,

Yes February's book is Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr. I thought I added it to the bookshelf, but I may have done it incorrectly. I'll check on that.

Hobb and Lynch are two of my favorites. Hope you enjoy the bookclub!

Cheers!

message 31: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Tackett (sabrina_tackett) | 2 comments Hi everyone, I'm Sabrina from US.
So this is my first bookclub in Goodreads, and I'm really excited to join. I'm a little late in the year to have picked up the first book, but I'm looking forward to the Feb book. I like high fantasy like LOTR and ASOIAF, but I grew up on HP and Narnia, so my tastes mostly lean towards the YA fantasy genre. Some of my favorite female authors include SJM, Marissa Meyer, Leigh Bardugo, Jacqueline Carey, CS Pacat, and Amie Kaufman (I know she writes sci-fi, but I'm holding out for a fantasy). I'm guilty of reading a lot of romance, so I always like it when there are subplots, but it doesn't overwhelm the world or character building.
Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to reading with y'all

message 32: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Tackett (sabrina_tackett) | 2 comments Heather wrote: "Hey everyone! My name's Heather and I'm really excited to read more female fantasy authors. I read almost exclusively science fiction and fantasy - I've always loved the genre so I'm happy someone ..."

I'm so glad I'm not the only YA fantasy junkie in here.

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara (wiggleallaround) | 1 comments Hi!! I'm Sara from San Francisco and I'm excited to be here! I love fantasy and I prefer female authors (in all genres), so this bookclub is perf for me. :D

My fave fantasy writers are Robin Hobb, Diana Wynne Jones, Octavia Butler, N.K. Jemisin, R.F. Kuang, Naomi Novik, Juliet Marillier, Lynn Flewelling, and most recently Jenn Lyons!