Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > 2019 at ATW80

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 02, 2019 06:36AM) (new)

Diane | 12829 comments My apologies for getting this information out so late. I will have all of the updates and new threads ready this weekend. Meanwhile, here is a sneak peak at the upcoming year...

We are continuing out monthly world tour with the following countries:
January: Pakistan
February: Nepal
March: Solomon Islands
April: Guatemala
May: Dominican Republic
June: Belgium
July: Bosnia and Herzegovina
August: Greece
September: Sierra Leone
October: Togo
November: Burundi
December: Saudi Arabia

We will also have monthly theme reads for translated female writers and for world memoirs, focusing on different regions of the world. When it comes time for nominations, I will be more specific as to what is included in each subcategory:

Translated female writers (by language grouping)
January: Afro-Asiatic and African native languages
February: Austronesian and Austro-Asiatic languages
March: Balto-Slavic languages
April: French and Creole
May: Germanic and Uralic languages
June: Indo-Iranian and Dravidian languages
July: Micro-Altaic languages
August: Sino-Tibetan languages
September: Southern European languages
October: Spanish, Catalan, & Euskara
November: Turkic & Caucasian languages
December: All languages

World Memoirs by region:
January: Australia and Oceania
February: Canada & US (immigrant-experience or indigenous populations only)
March: Caribbean, Mexico, & Central America
April: Central Asia
May: Eastern Europe
June: MENA countries
July: Northeast Asia
August: Northern & Western Europe
September: South America
October: Southeast Asia
November: Sub-Saharan Africa
December: Worldwide

We will also continue with the following challenges:
~Around the world in 80 books - all levels
~USA Reading Roadtrip
~Random Travel
~Translated Lit Genre Challenge
~ATW in 1001 books
~Regional challenges (various smaller challenges in this folder)
~The Century's Most Popular books

We will also have some new challenges (more details to come this weekend)
~Monthly Wonder of the World challenge
~TBR challenge
~Translated language challenge

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments Diane wrote: "My apologies for getting this information out so late. I will have all of the updates and new threads ready this weekend. Meanwhile, here is a sneak peak at the upcoming year...

We are continuing ..."

What an awesome list of countries, themes et al. Thanks for all you do, Diane, single-handedly spinning tops whilst dancing on a ball and holding an umbrella.

message 3: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 230 comments All sounds great! I am especially interested in the translated female writers theme as reading more women in translation has been my focus for the last couple of years :-)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 847 comments This group just keeps getting better and better! Thank you so much for organizing it Diane!

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 2983 comments Thank you for all you do, Diane. I would not have discovered so many interesting international books without this group and the fun challenges.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 616 comments I look forward to seeing the new challenges. They sound intriguing.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Diane!

message 8: by Missy J (new)

Missy J (missyj333) | 224 comments Thank you for everything you do for this reading group, Diane. I really appreciate it, this is my favorite GR book club by far. I can't wait to see what books we will read next year. The countries for 2019 are fantastic and interesting. Just a little note, we visited Vanuatu already in October 2014 (we read The Shark God: Encounters with Ghosts and Ancestors in the South Pacific). Have a nice weekend!

message 9: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12829 comments Missy J wrote: "Thank you for everything you do for this reading group, Diane. I really appreciate it, this is my favorite GR book club by far. I can't wait to see what books we will read next year. The countries ..."

Thank you for your kind words, Missy. Thank you for pointing out the fact that we have visited Vanuatu fairly recently. It is too difficult a country in which to find books to repeat it so soon. I will change the selection to Solomon Islands instead.

message 10: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12829 comments I have made updates to the original post.

message 11: by Diane B (new)

Diane B | 41 comments Thanks Diane, this looks great! As a newcomer, just a question re. the monthly world tour countries - is a specific book chosen for everyone to read and discuss (bookclub style), or do we just pick a book from that country?

message 12: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12829 comments Diane B wrote: "Thanks Diane, this looks great! As a newcomer, just a question re. the monthly world tour countries - is a specific book chosen for everyone to read and discuss (bookclub style), or do we just pick..."

We take nominations and vote for a specific book.

message 13: by Diane B (new)

Diane B | 41 comments Sounds great!

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valroos) | 339 comments Thank you Diane for the update and for putting this together. I only joined this GR group recently but am really enjoying it. Am looking forward to exploring more reads from across the world in the next year. It will be hard to not get carried away and try to do all the challenges!

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_alva) | 7 comments I’m brand new here and will start in January =) Looking forward to travel the world through books with you guys!

Sofia loves Misha (sofialovesmisha) Sounds amazing! I'm also new here and I am excited to broaden my horizons :)

message 17: by Keli (new)

Keli | 64 comments Valerie wrote: "Thank you Diane for the update and for putting this together. I only joined this GR group recently but am really enjoying it. Am looking forward to exploring more reads from across the world in the..."

I agree! So many great challenges. It's very hard to limit one's self.

And thanks for all your hard work, Diane.

message 18: by Pei (new)

Pei Yee Thank you for putting such a comprehensive and amazing list of books that covers different regions and countries.

message 19: by Marcos (last edited Jan 09, 2019 08:24AM) (new)

Marcos Kopschitz Hello, Diane! I'm a moderator of another GR group, EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club.

I'd like to contact you for discussing some ideas. Your Goodreads account seems to be set to not receiving messages. So, is there a way to reach you? You can send me a message through Goodreads.

Thank you and Happy 2019 to all the readers here!

Marcos

message 20: by Ana (new)

Ana | 8 comments Thank you Diane!! Looks an amazing list.