Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt #4)
This topic is about Salute the Dark
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Salute the Dark [May 2019]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Buddy read 12th May.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am so ready! I am starting on the 12th!

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments At least somebody benefited from my ill-preparedness... and I know this series will be waiting for me when I have the time for ebooks... or when it gets the audio treatment it sorely needs...

Solseit | 1460 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "At least somebody benefited from my ill-preparedness... and I know this series will be waiting for me when I have the time for ebooks... or when it gets the audio treatment it sorely needs..."

I really wish it was in audio, quite frankly.
Thankfully the pace of the read makes it manageable - so far at least - for me. 20/30 pages a day are not too much, as long as I wake up early enough. And the books have been good enough to make me want to read them!
So yes, I benefit immensely from your decision of starting this buddy read! Thank you Iain!

Timelord Iain | 16601 comments I'm hoping the success of his newer books like Children of Time and the coming Children of Ruin, plus Guns of the Dawn, will lead to them making audiobooks for his backlog of titles... this series is the main one in need, I think...

Solseit | 1460 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm hoping the success of his newer books like Children of Time and the coming Children of Ruin, plus Guns of the Dawn, will lead to them making audiobooks for his backlog of titles... this series ..."

It is also well put together. It is a quite remarkable fantasy series - based on three books out of ten though. So it certainly deserves a whole audiobook series.
I would even go as far to say that it deserves a tv series (not a movie since it would wash out most of the content). I wonder if Netflix would be interested :D

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments In! But will start next weekend.

Solseit | 1460 comments I actually started today. It is a short book (shorter than book 3) so it is manageable even starting later!

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Huh. Mine looks longer than 3, it's so weird how the formatting can skew perception. My copy of 3 is smaller, and has fewer pages than my copy of 4, which is one size up and has 50 additional pages. I've not compared font size haha.

I'm planning on reading it this Sunday :) I will update with my thoughts.

Solseit | 1460 comments Nice!
I just read the first chapter and I just find myself enjoying this series, almost no matter what (at least so far). I think I am invested in the characters and the story does not seem to deteriorate (although 3 books are not necessarily indicative of the whole series).

I want to focus on it during the weekend and next week.
And I will keep you posted too!!

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Where are you at? It's time I go looking for the next instalment!

Solseit | 1460 comments I am still lagging behind for this read - mostly because it is so short compared to the book I read before and I wanted to immerse myself.

I finished chapter 8. Tisamon is going to have a hard time with the Wasps, I anticipate.
I am liking Sten’s story so far - finally it is different than what he’s been doing so far.
And I love how Che and Thalric are pairing in this story (and genuinely, Thalric is easily my favorite character of all).

I also wonder how extensive is the reach of the Mosquito who is a “prisoner” of the Wasp emperor!

I am just enjoying this so much!!

message 13: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I just got the next book and wow it's HUGE.

I'm going to finish the fourth one this weekend hopefully, and I will definitely write down all my thoughts :)

Sten so far was just a bit of a background, stout person, pushing for people to understand what's going on. But now...now he's becoming very interesting.

Also, Thalric is my favourite, and I got a book signed by Adrian last weekend, and he said I'll be in for a treat in that case...so can't wait to see what's in store for Thalric.

Solseit | 1460 comments OMG - I am excited you were able to talk with Adrian and he gave you the hint that we are in for a treat!
I should be able to focus on this book as well this weekend (we have a long weekend ahead) and I cannot wait to read more at this point!

And I agree that Sten is getting more interesting - finally he has found his role (or he is finding his role!).

The challenge is that I am reading The Bonehunters as well and it is another awesome read! First world country problems: too many good books at the same time!

Solseit | 1460 comments I just finished the book.

I loved it. It was not as good as the ones before but it is also a pivotal book to change the series into something different.

While the wasps story was not unforeseeable, I did not expect the cost in terms of characters.
I actually tested up for them. And not only for them. A whole into the heart.

I loved what happened to Thalric and I wonder what will come next!
I am also liking how Che is developing. She started as an immature teenager in book #1 and I am liking how she is becoming a strong willed woman with a functioning brain.

So curious about the next installment! I will start on the 12th with the next one!

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments I’ve not managed to finish this weekend. My mother is here for a visit. I’ll finish next weekend. Post all my thoughts. Then dive into the next one.

Stay tuned!

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1073 comments Ok done.
I absolutely loved how this developed and moved at a good pace. Going straight into the next one.

Solseit | 1460 comments Yes it was probably the best book yet!