Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
This topic is about Blood of the Mantis
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Blood of the Mantis [April 2019]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy read 12th April.

Solseit | 1460 comments In!!!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I ordered Mantis, it should arrive at some point soon, but I might be late for it.

My Amazon says delivery between April 12-16.

But I'm definitely in.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am going to start today!
It also seems this is a bit shorter than the prior books - I cannot wait!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Wohoo.

Solseit | 1460 comments Yes, I am gushing like a little fan girl not knowing any better. I am terrible but I cannot wait for the next book; this is how hooked I am to the series!

Solseit | 1460 comments I finished chapter 5 this morning and I am hyped.

I am loving all the developments so far; I am excited about certain characters and their stories (Che, for example) and I cannot wait to read more about the developments for each character.

This is easily becoming one of my favorite series of all times!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments How far are you?

I just ordered book 4 and it should arrive soon.

I’m still in the first quarter of book 3 but I’m hyped as well.

Solseit | 1460 comments I got to about 50%. I am loving this book - the story seems interesting at all times!!
I just need some time to just read without interruptions!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Solseit wrote: "I got to about 50%. I am loving this book - the story seems interesting at all times!!
I just need some time to just read without interruptions!"

The most difficult bit so far was realising that Tchaikovsky loves to just show us a scene with random characters that aren't actually important...and I think at first I was trying to keep everyone in mind, worried there's too many to keep track of, but I think the ones that are important stand out..

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the epic scope of the story. This one feels like it's more intimate again... focuses more on characters than the epic world conflict happening in book 2

Solseit | 1460 comments Olivia wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I got to about 50%. I am loving this book - the story seems interesting at all times!!
I just need some time to just read without interruptions!"

The most difficult bit so far was..."

You are so spot on with regards to the ancillary characters; I did not even think about it until you mentioned it. And I immediately thought you were completely correct!
At the same time, I give Tchaikovsky credit for spending time to define so vividly also characters that have a minor impact on the story; it is not an easy task!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments What did you think by the end?

Solseit | 1460 comments I actually liked it quite a bit. While it has less action than the books before, I liked the Thalric development (somehow he is one of my favorite characters) and Che’s story.

What do you think about it?

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Solseit wrote: "I actually liked it quite a bit. While it has less action than the books before, I liked the Thalric development (somehow he is one of my favorite characters) and Che’s story.

What do you think a..."

I was just thinking Thalric turned into my favourite character.

I quite liked how T hugged Che at the end and told her how sorry she is and I immediately knew something happened to A. Tchaikovksy did that in a very suspenseful way.

I also find Totho's character very intriguing, and like the way he's going with him.

I enjoy the mosquito, the emperor's sister...it was a good read. Looking forward to the next one.

message 15: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Finally managed to buy this book AND THE REST OF THE SERIES! WOOHOOO! Finished this book and I'm definitely not regretting my buying spree.

I loved how the characters getting more and more complex. Growing and adapting. I don't think Thalric gets much spotlight here, if anything the side characters are given tremendous boost here. Sperra only get brief scenes but oh, (view spoiler)

I'm a bit worried about Achaeos, is the appearance of the assassin bug is a possible replacement for him? He seems to be heading toward darkness and may not be able to escape it.

Totho is embracing his dark side. It's sad but in a way it's understandable because the world is such that it doesn't pay for him to be a good person. He tried to be good and only get disrespect and humiliation, and know he gets his chance and for better or worse he's not letting it go. What made all these even sadder is that if Totho had stayed by Stenwold side, he might still be the nice kid that we all knew.