Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt, #2)
This topic is about Dragonfly Falling
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Dragonfly Falling [March 2019]

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3523 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 12th March.

Solseit | 1460 comments Before I forget, I am in for this one! And it is just around the corner!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Just picked it up from the library.

Anny | 241 comments I picked this book when it was on sale the other day. Too bad there is no deal for the next books yet.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am starting today! I will try to read the same 20/25 pages each day. It worked well for Empire in Black and Gold and I am hoping to keep the momentum!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Me too :) Will be back after my coffee with initial comments.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Ah, Tchaikovsky is a master at developing antagonists.

Solseit | 1460 comments Olivia wrote: "Ah, Tchaikovsky is a master at developing antagonists."

I completely agree with you! I am through page 9, not more, but I feel already invested!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments So, storytelling 101 tells us that in a fantasy series Gandalf, the mentor, must die.

And that worries me because I like Stenwold.

message 10: by Anny (last edited Mar 12, 2019 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Ah, Tchaikovsky is a master at developing antagonists."

I completely agree with you! I am through page 9, not more, but I feel already invested!"

Agree. Only 1 chapter in and already I'm feeling sympathy for the mass-murderer emperor. And I was more worried for Thalric than Stenwold too, that man is going to snap one day.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments How's it going? I was very busy on the weekend, but hope to get back to this and get a chunk done this week.

Solseit | 1460 comments I have not focused on this read until today and I am through chapter 11.
I can almost say that this book is almost more action packed and twisted than the first one.

Also, these villains are just so good. There is another one recently introduced that is just amazing.

I am amazed by how much good content there is here!

message 13: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "I have not focused on this read until today and I am through chapter 11.
I can almost say that this book is almost more action packed and twisted than the first one.

Also, these villains are jus..."

So many mind-boggling development, and yes, so many new characters but everyone is oh so very interesting.

Totho's development ... at first I thought him boring, but now, wow, never guessed where life would take you.

In the first half of this book I think the author focused on many new characters and widening the stage. I am very excited to see it all unfold!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I'm a huge fan of all the new characters he's bringing into the fold as well.

Solseit | 1460 comments Olivia wrote: "I'm a huge fan of all the new characters he's bringing into the fold as well."

I completely agree with you!
I have to say that this is a book where the characters are front and center.
The story is also a lot more complex than the first book and I am enjoying every single page so much.
I am through Chapter 27 - I am planning to be able to finish before we start the new book. This is such an exciting story.

Not to mention the beauty of the mixture between industrialized and magic wielding groups. So much fun.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments That reminds me I have to find the next book. I am planning to finish as we start the next one as well. I have been reading 1-2 chapters day. I'm on twenty-one.

message 17: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments I am still waiting on kindle deals. Hopefully there will be one soon!

Solseit | 1460 comments I just finished chapter 40 and I am annoyed that I cannot continue to read due to real life.
I confess I have been particularly impressed by the amount of story that goes on in this book; each character has a rich story line, quite a lot happens to them and most of the events are not predictable.

I am still amazed by the fact that this series is not better known out there. True, I am only two books in but I am still majorly surprise no one really talks about this series!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I am halfway through, hoping to finish in the next few days, and I am particularly impressed by how much effort went into grey characters who are morally ambiguous.

Solseit | 1460 comments Olivia wrote: "I am halfway through, hoping to finish in the next few days, and I am particularly impressed by how much effort went into grey characters who are morally ambiguous."

I agree; you are spot on: "the grey character who are morally ambiguous". So well put!
I think the two aspects that are outstanding in this book are the characters and the story. The world building is still soo good but it was the highlight of book 1!

message 21: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Especially the growth of the characters! Che, Tynisa, and Totho underwent so much growth, though in Totho's case (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Anny wrote: "Especially the growth of the characters! Che, Tynisa, and Totho underwent so much growth, though in Totho's case [spoilers removed]"

I completely agree with you! There are also other characters - new and old, like the Wasp Emperor - that are just the best addition to the story. And yes, they are absolutely grey - as Olivia said before! - and they add so much depth to the story. SOOOOO good.

I just finished the book - and I loved it. I might even have liked it more than the first book, quite frankly, due to the great character depth/development/growth!
I am itching to start book 3!

message 23: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Solseit wrote: "Anny wrote: "Especially the growth of the characters! Che, Tynisa, and Totho underwent so much growth, though in Totho's case [spoilers removed]"

I completely agree with you! There are also other ..."

The Wasp Emperor (view spoiler)

The Dragonfly Lady (what's her name again?) (view spoiler)