NYRB Classics discussion

Nothing But the Night
This topic is about Nothing But the Night
Book Discussions (general) > Nothing but the Night, by John Williams

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (last edited Dec 06, 2018 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
Nothing but the Night

Nothing but the Night

Publication Date: February 12, 2019
Pages: 144
Originally published in 1948.

John Williams’s first novel is a brooding psychological noir. Arthur Maxley is a young man at the end of his emotional rope. Having dropped out of college, he’s holed up in a big-city hotel, living off an allowance from his family, feeling nothing but alone and doing nothing but drinking to forget it. What’s brought him to this point? Something is troubling him, something is haunting him, something he cannot bring himself either to face or to turn away from. And now his father has come to town, a hail-fellow-well-met kind of guy. They’ve been estranged for years, and yet Arthur wants to meet—and so he does, reeling away from the encoun- ter for a night of drinking and dancing and a final reckoning with the traumatizing past that readers will not soon forget.

Nothing But the Night includes an interview with Nancy Williams, John Williams’s widow.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason (uberzensch) | 83 comments I can’t wait for this!

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
I will be posting my review of this when the book comes out, but for those who, like me, avoided this book for a long time because Williams essentially disowned it, don't let that keep you from reading it!

Is it a masterpiece? No. But it also is not interesting solely because it shows a young Williams at work. This is some strong writing about a young man trying to forget and continue to live after a traumatic event. Williams, even in his early 20s, knew how to write compelling sentences that make strike you with their insight and clarity.

message 4: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 288 comments Sounds good to me!

message 5: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 288 comments My copy arrived today! I live in Cleveland and it’s February and it’s grey and it’s raining so getting out my car in the cold drizzle to open the mailbox and finding a book there is like having the clouds part and ray of sunshine and warmth shine down upon me while a choir of angels sing.

message 6: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise | 491 comments Mod
That is exactly how I felt when I found my Granta copy in the mailbox today. This one called "the Politics of Feeling" with stories by Hisham Matar and Olga Tokarczuk among others.

message 7: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 288 comments Louise wrote: "That is exactly how I felt when I found my Granta copy in the mailbox today. This one called "the Politics of Feeling" with stories by Hisham Matar and Olga Tokarczuk..."

Excellent! Have you read Tokarczuk yet? I had a first edition Flights, but gave it as a gift.

message 8: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise | 491 comments Mod
WndyJW wrote: "Excellent! Have you read Tokarczuk yet? I had a first edition Flights, but gave it as a gift.."

Not yet but I will be reading Flights with a book club this year.

message 9: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 288 comments The cover for this book is creepy.

Mirko | 77 comments Got my copy a couple of days ago. Planning of delving into it still this weekend.