Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > Damsel's 2019 plan

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damselflies (last edited Dec 07, 2018 12:23PM) (new)

Damselflies | 3 comments The 2019 List

1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy
2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why)
When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore When Light Left Us by Leah Thomas What If It's Us by Adam Silvera
3. A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff
4. A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1) by Cassandra Rose Clarke
5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare Othello by William Shakespeare
6. A book with a dual timeline
The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1
8. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #2
9. A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)
10. A book featuring an historical figure
The Phantom Tree by Nicola Cornick The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood
11. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)
The Lurking Fear Collected Short Stories Volume 4 by H.P. Lovecraft
12. A book about reading, books or an author/writer
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin I'd Rather Be Reading The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Nightbooks by J.A. White The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman
13. A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list
14. A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise, #1) by Rachel Vincent
15. A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country
Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman
16. A book told from multiple perspectives
Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi The Help by Kathryn Stockett Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
17. A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia)
18. A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements
The Radium Girls The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
19. A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White Afterworlds (Afterworlds #1) by Scott Westerfeld Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld
20. A book featuring indigenous people of a country
Euphoria by Lily King
21. A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
22. A book with a number in the title or on the cover
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
23. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Tombs by Deborah Schaumberg A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan
24. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New
25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Circe by Madeline Miller Heartless by Marissa Meyer Damsel by Elana K. Arnold Sea Witch by Sarah Henning Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1) by Jackson Pearce
26. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman Made You Up by Francesca Zappia
27. A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...
28. A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.)
My True Love Gave to Me Twelve Holiday Stories by Stephanie Perkins A Winter's Promise (The Mirror Visitor) by Christelle Dabos The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden
29. A book published before 1950
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
30. A book featuring an elderly character
Stay Up with Hugo Best by Erin Somers A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
31. A children’s classic you’ve never read
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer
32. A book with more than 500 pages
Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1) by Mary E. Pearson The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1) by Lisa Maxwell Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor Carry On (Simon Snow, #1) by Rainbow Rowell The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang
33. A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet
34. A book with a person's name in the title
Tess of the Road (Tess of the Road, #1) by Rachel Hartman Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier
35. A psychological thriller
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) by Thomas Harris The Butterfly Garden (The Collector #1) by Dot Hutchison
36. A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list
La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1) by Philip Pullman The Changeling by Victor LaValle The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
37. A book set in a school or university
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Carry On (Simon Snow, #1) by Rainbow Rowell Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
38. A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc)
I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain by Will Walton Pillow Thoughts II Healing the Heart by Courtney Peppernell The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace Ogden Nash's Zoo by Ogden Nash
39. A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life
The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan The Martian by Andy Weir The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore The Atomic City Girls by Janet Beard Artemis by Andy Weir Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
40. A book you stumbled upon
41. A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards
Circe by Madeline Miller The Outsider by Stephen King Vengeful (Villains, #2) by V.E. Schwab Elevation by Stephen King The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind Of Magic, #2) by Amanda Lovelace Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2) by Becky Albertalli
42. A book with a monster or "monstrous" character
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling The Changeling by Victor LaValle The Beast Is an Animal by Peternelle van Arsdale To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
43. A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) [fiction or nonfiction]
The Last Equation of Isaac Severy by Nova Jacobs The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko Ogawa
44. A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.)
45. A multi-generational saga
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton The Map of Salt and Stars by Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
46. A book with a (mostly) black cover
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1) by Kendare Blake Captive by Gabrielle Estres The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1) by Amanda Lovelace Bones of Faerie (Bones of Faerie, #1) by Janni Lee Simner The Butterfly Garden (The Collector #1) by Dot Hutchison Artemis by Andy Weir Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel #Murdertrending (MurderTrending, #1) by Gretchen McNeil Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
47. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.)
Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan
48. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year
The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
49. A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country
Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1) by Julie C. Dao Warcross (Warcross, #1) by Marie Lu Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1) by Jay Kristoff
50. A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual)
Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman Tess of the Road (Tess of the Road, #1) by Rachel Hartman
51. A book published in 2019
52. A book with a weird or intriguing title
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery I Felt a Funeral, in My Brain by Will Walton

Laura • lauralovestoread | 88 comments Great book ideas!

message 3: by Damselflies (last edited Jul 07, 2019 03:24PM) (new)

Damselflies | 3 comments Official read list

1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why)
3. A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer
4. A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare
Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor
6. A book with a dual timeline
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor
7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1
8. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #2

9. A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)
10. A book featuring an historical figure
Bygone Badass Broads 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World by Mackenzi Lee
11. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)
12. A book about reading, books or an author/writer

13. A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list
14. A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term
15. A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country
16. A book told from multiple perspectives
The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1) by Marie Lu
17. A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia)

18. A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements
19. A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
20. A book featuring indigenous people of a country
21. A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes

22. A book with a number in the title or on the cover
23. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old
24. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New
25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed

26. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue
To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
27. A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list
28. A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.)
29. A book published before 1950
30. A book featuring an elderly character

31. A children’s classic you’ve never read
32. A book with more than 500 pages
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo
33. A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet
34. A book with a person's name in the title
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling

35. A psychological thriller
36. A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list
37. A book set in a school or university
38. A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc)
Pillow Thoughts II Healing the Heart by Courtney Peppernell
39. A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life

40. A book you stumbled upon
41. A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards
42. A book with a monster or "monstrous" character
Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3) by Leigh Bardugo
43. A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) [fiction or nonfiction]

44. A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.)
45. A multi-generational saga
46. A book with a (mostly) black cover
47. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.)

48. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year
49. A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country
50. A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual)
King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
51. A book published in 2019
Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
52. A book with a weird or intriguing title
The Mystery of the Exploding Teeth and Other Curiosities from the History of Medicine by Thomas Morris

message 4: by Damselflies (last edited Jul 08, 2019 09:10AM) (new)

Damselflies | 3 comments Read books to still place into the list/ that didn't fit into any of the categories:
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2) by Holly Black Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2) by Leigh Bardugo The Soul of an Octopus A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery