Prize Readers discussion

Small Country
This topic is about Small Country
Tournament of Books > 2019 TOB Longlist: Small Country

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
About 2/3 of the way through this book. It is a small wonder I think. It's charming, it's funny, it's serious, you get to know our narrator pretty well, you get to know his country through his and his father's and mother's eyes very well, so when the country itself seems to turn on itself, the fear it makes you feel is...well earned. The book is doing a fantastic job of painting not just one but several portraits: our narrator, his parents, their points of view, the two main African countries it's concerned with (Rwanda and Burundi).

If you're interested in more info on the backdrop/setting of the book, check these brief wiki entries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burundi...

Nadine (nadinekc) | 12 comments I absolutely agree. I hope it makes it into the ToB.

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 85 comments I should have been paying attention to you more when this topic came up. I finally got to the book and it would have made my top ten from last year. I hope it is not ignored by the Man Booker International judges. Strongly recommend!