Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Tammy Takes on the 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tammy (last edited Sep 08, 2019 06:41PM) (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Hopefully I won't suffer from a Sophomore Slump this year. I know I've been slowing down a bit in the last 3 months. Some of these book are on other challenge lists of mine for next year, but I figured with 164 books already mapped out for 2019 that I could have some overlap! Happy reading to all my fellow Classic Bingo Buds. Can't wait to see all the completed lists.
B I N G O
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

✔️B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic: Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe 4.5 Stars
✔️B2: Book Chosen by the Cover: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 4.5 Stars
✔️B3: European Classic: The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham 4.5 Stars
✔️B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List: Scoop by Evelyn Waugh 3.75 Stars
✔️B5: 20th Century Classic: Rabbit, Run by John Updike 4.5 Stars

✔️I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 4.25 Stars
✔️I2: New-to-You Author: The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie 5 Stars
✔️I3: Classic Play: The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare 4 Stars
✔️I4: Literary Prize of Your Country: Goodbye, Columbus and Five Short Stories by Philip Roth 4 Stars
✔️I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque 4.75 Stars

✔️N1: South American Classic: The Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel García Márquez 3 Stars
✔️N2: Short Story Collection: Going to Meet the Man by James Baldwin 4.25 Stars
✔️N3: FREE SPACE: Bonjour tristesse by Françoise Sagan 4 Stars
✔️N4: Poetry or Essay Collection: The Essential Emily Dickinson by Emily Dickinson 2.5 Stars
✔️N5: Asian Classic: Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburō Ōe 4.75 Stars

✔️G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize: Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey 4.5 Stars
✔️G2: Classic By a Female Author: The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 4.25 Stars
✔️G3: Classic Non-fiction: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou 3.5 Stars
✔️G4: Written by Nobel Laureate: East of Edenby John Steinbeck 4.5 Stars
✔️G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf: Foundation by Isaac Asimov 3.5 Stars

✔️O1: 19th Century Classic: Moby-Dick or, The Whale by Herman Melville 4.25 Stars
✔️O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien 3.75 Stars
✔️O3: Classic Comedy or Satire: A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift 4.25 Stars
✔️O4: Classic Romance: Villette by Charlotte Brontë 4 Stars
✔️O5: 21st Century Potential Classic: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer 3.5 Stars

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2587 comments 'Villette' is one of my absolute favorites, Tammy, so I hope it goes well for you.

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ | 186 comments Rabbit, Run is on my tbr. I should add it to my bingo for the B5 prompt.

Moby Dick did not agee with me. I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
You can do this Tammy. Looks like a great list so far.

message 5: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2608 comments I like so many of your choices, Tammy! One that I need to read (& tried but quit!) is Rabbit, Run. I hope you like it so that you can encourage and inspire me! Happy Challenge! :)

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Aubrey, I am so glad to hear that Villette is a favorite of yours. I really just googled "classic romantic lit" and it caught my eye.

Terris, I started Rabbit, Run 20 years ago and didn't finish it. I'm hoping that I'll have better luck now. I seem to do better when it is on a list. I don't like to not complete a goal.

Thoughts are so mixed on Moby, MJ, that I finally felt I needed to check it out. I really liked Billy Budd this year, so I figured I'd grab the whale by the tail.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm going to need it!

message 7: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Hope you succeeed where Ahab didn't . :)
Such a great list, Tammy.
I really loved some of the books on your list.
Esp Jude the obscure, Ivan Denisovich,Western front,Borges and Emily.

Hope you have q good reading year in 2019.
Happy Reading!

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2608 comments Tammy wrote: "Aubrey, I am so glad to hear that Villette is a favorite of yours. I really just googled "classic romantic lit" and it caught my eye.

Terris, I started Rabbit, Run 20 years ago and didn't finish ..."

Tammy, I love it! I feel that same way -- if it's on "the list" I must read it ;)
I'll give Rabbit, Run aother try -- maybe I just wasn't in the mood before. ~~fingers crossed~~
And I'd like to encourage you on Moby Dick. Yes, it's long and there's lots of scientific details about aquatic life and actually making whale oil from blubber -- almost a recipe. I think you might be able to do it at home! ;)
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that I ended up being quite glad that I had read it. Actually, I listened to it on LibriVox and it was read by a wonderful reader named Stewart Wills. I would highly recommend doing that if you just want to push through it (and if you're into audio books).
Good luck -- you'll do great! :)

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Oh Terris, thanks so much for the LibriVox tip on Moby. Sometimes hearing a book read properly can make all the difference!

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2608 comments Tammy wrote: "Oh Terris, thanks so much for the LibriVox tip on Moby. Sometimes hearing a book read properly can make all the difference!"

No problem! And let me know how the whale oil experiment comes out ;) LOL!

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2587 comments Tammy wrote: "Oh Terris, thanks so much for the LibriVox tip on Moby. Sometimes hearing a book read properly can make all the difference!"

Especially with Moby. Melville's prose is wonderful as long as it's handled by the right VA.

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Doh! I already had to edit my list because I started reading ahead.

message 13: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2608 comments Quit it! ;)

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I know I should, but the books are just sitting there waiting to be read! I swapped out The House of Mirth for The Age of Innocence. It's a minor switch-a-roo!

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2608 comments That’s OK then :)
I think you’ll enjoy both!

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I think it's great that you found a book for every square, that's the kind of planning I envy, but can't do. I think I will steal A Modest Proposal and I still like The Severed Head, both for title and cover.

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I've given myself a month and a half rest time from reading and feel very refreshed. That said, I am 17 books behind on my reading goal this year and I've only read one from my BINGO list. I completed Moll Flanders yesterday and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. That doesn't seem to be the general consensus, but I found it worth the time spent.

message 18: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Tammy wrote: "I've given myself a month and a half rest time from reading and feel very refreshed. That said, I am 17 books behind on my reading goal this year and I've only read one from my BINGO list. I comple..."

Don't worry yourself! Reading should be fun and not a chore. Otherwise our precious freetime will feel like stressful worktime.
I love classics and this group, but have taken the last year off. I just felt in the mood for more historical fiction and crime stories.

I've read Moll Flanders and also found it very entertaining. One Hundred Years of Solitude is also very good and with all its magical realism very special. They will make it into a Netflix series now and I hope it will be good.

message 19: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Looks like you are doing fine, bingo is just around the corner. as the song says, Don't worry, be happy!!

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5457 comments Mod
Plenty of year still left, Tammy. We all need breaks now and then.

message 21: by Tammy (last edited Apr 01, 2019 06:59AM) (new)

Tammy | 391 comments BOOKS COMPLETED IN MARCH:

I knocked off 7 books from my Bingo Challenge this month. All Quiet on the Western Front was the best of my BINGO reads. I was slightly disappointed by I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. From the hype I was expecting a 4.5 to 5 star read, but it left me wanting. That said, it was still very good and well worth the time spent. I'm also saddened by the fact that poetry is just not for me. I read the Dickenson collection but did not feel swept away at any point. I consider it a shortcoming and a source of shame that I just end up feeling that poetry is contrived and a bit too precious.

As for my other challenges, my favorites of the month were:
Waiting for the Barbarians (FANTASTIC)
Ironweed
Train Dreams
Being There
The Razor's Edge
The Vegetarian

The Portrait of a Lady - 4.25 Stars
The Last Picture Show - 4 Stars
Being There - 4.5 Stars
The Hate U Give - 3.5 Stars
Oranges are Not the Only Fruit - 4 Stars
All Quiet on the Western Front - (BINGO) 4.75 Stars
Foundation - (BINGO) 3.5 Stars
The Buddha in the Attic - 3.5 Stars
The Elephant Vanishes - 3.75 Stars
Flowers in the Attic - 2.5 Stars
Mad, Bad, Dangerous to Know: The Fathers of Wilde, Yeats and Joyce - 3.25 Stars
Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles - 2.75 Stars
Ironweed - 5 Stars
What the Hell Did I Just Read - 3.5 Stars
The Little Prince- 4 Stars
The Art of Fielding - 4.5 Stars
The Razor's Edge - 4.5 Stars
The Vegetarian- 4.75 Stars
Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began - (BINGO) 5 Stars
Station Eleven - 3.5 Stars
Train Dreams - 4.5 Stars
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - (BINGO) 3.5 Stars
Waiting for the Barbarians - 5 Stars
The Fellowship of the Ring - (BINGO) 3.75 Stars
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction - 4 Stars
A Passage to India - 4 Stars
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - (BINGO) 3.5 Stars
Essential Dickinson - (BINGO) 2 Stars
The Europeans - 4 Stars
Scoop - (BINGO) - 3.75 Stars
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - 3 Stars

I accomplished something I didn't quite manage last year. I read a book a day for an average of 285 pages per book. I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon. I prefer a few down days!

message 22: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I just finished Foundation last night, also for bingo sci-fi. The Razor's Edge and All Quiet on the Western Front are two favorites, glad you liked them.

message 23: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Bravo! 7 in one month! I agree that All Quiet is a powerful book.

message 24: by Marilyn (last edited Apr 01, 2019 11:52AM) (new)

Marilyn | 766 comments I am also not a poetry person but I had an instructor who said everyone should memorize one poem. If poetry ever comes up:

This dirty — little — Heart
Is freely mine.
I won it with a Bun —
A Freckled shrine —

But eligibly fair
To him who sees
The Visage of the Soul
And not the knees.

She was right. I feel better about not being into poetry by being able to quote Emily Dickenson.

message 25: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Maybe I'll do the same, Marilyn! I'll just whip out my poem at cocktail parties and convince everyone that I'm sensitive and erudite!

message 26: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments :D !!!
(poetry is a challenge for me as well ... )

Congrats on progress, Tammy!

message 27: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Seven books in one month! That's absolutely amazing!!!

message 28: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments It looks like that break paid off for you! I feel exactly the same way about poetry. Every once in awhile I try again but I just don't think my mind is wired to appreciate it.

message 29: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "...Every once in awhile I try again but I just don't think my mind is wired to appreciate it."

Same, Rachel!

message 30: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I struggle a lot as well with poetry...

message 31: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Well...my 14th book, East of Eden, finally gave me my first long awaited BINGO! I don't think I expected to enjoy it as much as I did.

message 32: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments Congrats on Bingo! East of Eden is one of my favorites! Glad you enjoyed it!

message 33: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments Congrats!

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Congrats! it's all downhill now.

message 35: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Hurray! I finally got a second BINGO. Only 10 more books to go!

message 36: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Congratulations! You've read some really great books.

message 37: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments Sue wrote: "Congratulations! You've read some really great books."

Sue, you are right, they have been pretty great books! That is why I like doing the classics BINGO. It forces you to check out writers from different times and regions and you usually end up with some darn good books.

message 38: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments omg Tammy, I decided to go look at what people picked based on the cover after Katy's thread and was shocked at your choice! I thought it was going to be a picture of a severed head! So funny.

I'm drawn to Japenese looking covers too and that one looks Japenese to me even though the author isn't.

message 39: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Congrats, Tammy!

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Congrats Tammy.

message 41: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I'm getting close to blacking out! Only two more Bingos to go. Under the Volcano scares me. I don't know why.

message 42: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Just take your time reading Under the Volcano, Tammy. The effort is worth it.

message 43: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments That makes me feel better, Rosemarie. I always like some positive feedback on a book to push me forward and I haven't heard too much about UtV.

message 44: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

You are a reading machine...you can conquer Under the Volcano!

message 45: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments that's great Tammy, you've been killing it since July!

message 46: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I would say you have this one put away, congrats!

message 47: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments You guys are excellent cheerleaders. I'm looking very forward to my end of the month wrap up because I've completed so many good books that will be fun to chat about.

message 48: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3289 comments Mod
You mentioned a Sophomore Slump (great phrase), but I see no slump. Congratulations! You had quality and quantity in your challenge!

message 49: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I did a switcharoo on my Gabriel Garcia Marquez book from One Hundred Years of Solitude to The Autumn of the Patriarch. My logic was that Patriarch was shorter, so it would be easier....WRONG. This was an incredibly difficult book to read, not only in style, but in content. Page after page of sentences with nary a period in sight and thoroughly gruesome details of depravity. Whoooeee....I'm glad that is done.

One book to go...Under the Volcano stands alone. Bring it on!

message 50: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments You can do it, Tammy!

« previous 1