What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/ teen girl's family became poor suddenly/she tries to get more money with lotto tickets but eventually lost all her pocket money/

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ildikó (new)

Ildikó | 4 comments Hi!
Sorry for my English, this isn’t my native language. I really want to find this book but just can’t remember anything too specific to google it and I have no idea about who’s the author or the book’s name or cover. I remember some little things about the story and I hope someone can help me.
- The story I remember is about a teen girl, it’s written in her point of view. But she has some really nice friends and I think their lives and problems got parts in the book, so it can be possible, that in each chapter we get to know a different girl’s perspective. (Like in Clique) (Or this can be a series and every book is about one of the girls who are friends like in Rosie Rushton’s books (Olivia, Poppy, Sophie)). I know this isn’t too much help, sorry.
- I read this book about 5-10 years ago, so this isn’t a new book. I found it in the library so I assume it’s under some teen/romance tags (for 13-16 years old girls) because that time I always searched in that section.
- The girl is a teen, I think she don’t have any sisters or brothers, she lives with her father and mother in a very nice and fancy house. Her story is about that the family suddenly became poor and she just can’t used to the situation, she still wants to go to shopping like before all that. One of the two scenes I remember vividly is that she buys lotto tickets (or something similar) from her pocket money and she even wins some money. But she’s too greedy and wants more, so she gets more tickets and eventually loses all her money.
- The other specific scene I remember is when she gets on the train and there are too many people, so she doesn’t have a seat. One point she fells into a boy’s lap but tries to act cool so she doesn’t jump up right away. I think then they start to talk and they really like each other, the girl even has a crush on him.
- The last thing I know is that the girl has long, straight, black hair, she’s described as pretty. Since her family has a lot of money she always wears fancy and expensive clothes, the author writes down multiple times what she’s wearing.
That’s all, I can’t recall anything. I hope someone can help me find it. Thank you!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Ildikó, how did her family become rich then poor? What are her parents' jobs/skills?

What is the story's time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 3: by Ildikó (new)

Ildikó | 4 comments Sorry for the late answer, Kris, I didn't saw the notification earlier.

Her family was always wealthy, perhaps the parents had good jobs/connections but I can't remember anything specific. But I remember that she was the richest among her friends and was always generous. So this is why she couldn't cope with the thought that she can't buy anything she wanted anymore. And they didn't became so poor that they couldn't afford nothing, they became more like "lower class" or I don't know what's the right phrase, sorry.

The story was set in the "modern days", in the '90s or very early '00. They lived in a not too big city, it wasn't too crowded but had many shops and opportunity. And I think that she take the train to visit someone in a smaller town or village.

This story written in the book didn't had big period in her life, I think it was only a few week or maybe month but definitely not years.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Ildiko ~~
You can bump your thread every month or so. This keeps it closer to the head of the Unsolved folder where people are more likely to see it rather than languishing on page 79. More people = more chance for a solution!
You can "bump" by adding a new comment. Some people just type "bump." Or you can add more details if you have thought of any.