Play Book Tag discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Archive: Other Books > Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4911 comments Thought-provoking. This story tells of the clash of cultures when the white man came to Africa in the late 1800s, through the chracter of Okonkwo, an Igbo warrior. It details life in his tribe before the white man came, and how his traditions fell prey to the white man's religion and politics.

This is a pretty straightforward narration, and I can see what makes it so highly acclaimed - a before and after story that lays bare African traditions which are often barbarous even as they can make sense, followed by how the white man took over slowly and slyly through the efforts first of religious missionaries and eventually imposing a European form of government without giving the natives any real choice in the matter.

It's an easy read because the language is not complicated, but it's also not an easy read because of the subject matter. It's an important story that needs to be told because it is from the point of view of the native whose world falls apart, and it certainly makes a reader think, which I can definitely appreciate. However, as a story it did not seize my attention, and if I had not been reading this along with my son, who was assigned this for his 10th grade English class, I don't know if I would have been engaged enough to finish it on my own. I'm glad I read it, and I may even move on to books 2 and 3 someday if I'm in the mood for it. But I'm having a hard time rating it, because it's not an enjoyable read. I'm giving it 3.5, but I would probably round down. It's a great read for a class and would provoke interesting discussion, but it's not fun.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Dec 06, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7243 comments This is in my "READ THIS MONTH" pile, on my blanket chest-my daughter, who took African Lit" her last year of college passed it on to me now going on a year ago-good review

annapi | 4911 comments It's a good book, Joanne. I just hesitated to give it 4 stars because that's supposed to mean "I really liked it" as opposed to 3 stars "I liked it" according to GR. Although for me 3 stars can also mean "It was ok". I just couldn't honestly say I "really" liked it, so I dropped it down to 3. But it's actually better than 3 in my book, hence the 3.5. I really wish we could do half stars or go to a 10 point system.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7243 comments A ten point system would be great! A 3 star in my personal rating is that I liked it, "but nothing to write home about"