Goodreads Indonesia discussion

Ajang Kenalan & Ucapan Salam > True child abduction story set in Indonesia

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 20, 2009 02:53AM) (new)

David Meikle (scotswriter) Hello. I'm co-author of Reunited in the Desert, which features Bali. Four children were abducted from Bali, and I had to do some research about the island. The children were taken to Saudi Arabia. I thought it might be of interest to members of the group. Regards, David Meikle.

message 2: by David (new)

David Meikle (scotswriter) Hello Amang
I wondered where it had gone! Yes there is a lot about Bali in the book. I wrote about the ancient customs, beliefs and the landscape etc. Helle Amin had settled there with her family when the children disappeared. Reunited in the Desert is on sale in other countries, but I don't know about Indonesia. I would be interested to know if your readers found my writing accurate. By all accounts, Bali is a beautiful place.
Kind regards, David.

message 3: by Sam (last edited Aug 20, 2009 02:00AM) (new)

Sam | 144 comments Hi David,
i come from Lombok but hv been living in Jakarta for years. Some of my relatives live in Bali, tho. Everything abt those two islands always interests me :)

the idea of the book is really interesting, i cant wait to know deeper on the background of the story... must b a great book!

There are some books about Bali written by locals as well as foreigners, tho mostly for the sake of tourism, but u can also find some related to their socio-political life aspects.

i, myself, hv been translating for their cultural&tourism council a book on Bali tourism. The project's been running for 2 years by now.

please feel free to let us, Indonesian readers, know what we can do of any help...

message 4: by David (new)

David Meikle (scotswriter) Hi Sam. I copied and pasted the synopsis of Reunited in the Desert from one of the websites, to give you an idea.

"After setting up home on the tropical island of Bali with her husband and four children, Helle Amin seemed to have the perfect life. But one day in 2001 Helle's idyllic existence was shattered. She returned home from a shopping trip one evening to find that her children, who should have been safely tucked in their beds, had disappeared. It didn't take Helle long to discover that her Saudi Arabian husband had taken them away to live in his home country. With her children thousands of miles away in totally unfamiliar surroundings, Helle drew upon her remarkable courage and set off for the desert in a desperate attempt to find her beloved boys. Her journey was filled with drama, danger, excitement, and sorrow. In the astonishing struggle that followed Helle was reduced to catching occasional, snatched glimpses of her children as they were taken to and from school in Jeddah. She took a job at an international school in the city and began her campaign for access. After a series of dramatic twists and turns, Helle was reunited forever with her boys. This fascinating and gripping story cannot fail to touch any reader's heart and is packed with adventure, heartache, and joy."

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 144 comments wow...
cant wait to read it for sure!! love stories on struggle which includes local involvement..

message 6: by David (new)

David Meikle (scotswriter) I'm just having a flick through now, and there is a lot about Bali. A few incidents happened there, too. How would you get the book? Amazon.com?

message 7: by Aveline (new)

Aveline Agrippina (agripzzz) | 269 comments Hi David,
nice to meet you in Goodreads!