Play Book Tag discussion

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
December 2018: Geek Reads > Astrophysics for people in a Hurry - Neal DeGrasse Tyson, 3.7 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8841 comments I admit it. I bore easily, and its hard for me to pay attention to non fiction. It requires a different kind of attention. You have to be in a certain mood, and both the topic and the book have to be extremely compelling. I know this author for the beautiful and spiritual quotes I have heard, so I knew I was in for a treat. But it was also hard for me to stay with in detail. My eyes glazed over at certain points. At others though, I was completely engaged. It was less about the science, but more about how we are all connected - and about the implications of the findings. I found I was very interested in how people understood and processed the implications. Reactions, meanings, and how they became storied by others. I liked him. I guess one imagines that an Astrophysicist wouldn't have a sense of humor, or be deeply spiritual or philosophical. I guess one imagines, they would be devoid of a personality - and they would be cosmically incorrect. Its great to have a guy who can capture our attention and explain things so we can understand them and talk about them. I liked the book, I liked him, I liked for sure many of the thoughts left over to ponder, some of the writing in an instant can just capture something in a beautiful, poignant, or humorous way, and I'm really glad I read it. And I am glad to be part of a group on Goodreads that forces me out of genre and comfort zone, because I discover so many worlds and universes, I otherwise wouldn't. I have met new galaxies and expanded my own. A worthy read, and I guess I would say, if you are someone who eschews non-fiction, and is an eyes glaze over personality when too much science and physics enters the picture, there is something here for you too to connect with. Its a good little slim volume, and you leave it understanding more than you did. And you feel something too. There is a lot that stays with you, long after the book closes. I am glad we have some folks who want to talk about it together. I know that will enhance it for me even more. 3.7 stars? Probably deserves more, but consider it a high rating from me.

message 2: by Joy D (last edited Dec 05, 2018 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy D | 3851 comments Nice review, Amy! I've had my eye on this one for a while.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I loved this book. Tyson is funny. Not the best book for anyone who have studied astrophysics in any depth as this is Astrophysics 101 but still very enjoyable. Tyson has the ability to explain complex theories and principles in any easy to understand way. It seems there are only a few every generation with this talent.

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments I love non-fiction, and I'm not bored, but I oddly feel I need more information to understand things than I am getting thus far. However, I do love Tyson's wit - - definitely makes the book more enjoyable. I feel like I am learning, but at the same time, more questions are being raised in my mind than answered.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8841 comments Its so nice to have Jason back! And just in time for us to talk Astrophysics and humor. Welcome back, friend!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review Amy! I love non-fiction if it is something I am interested in and love. I am impressed that you read this. I think my eyes would have glazed over a few times as well.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Its so nice to have Jason back! And just in time for us to talk Astrophysics and humor. Welcome back, friend!"

I saw his name pop up.:) Jason, I hope you are back for good.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Rachel, i hope to be back for good, just wont be reading as many books as before.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7859 comments Jason wrote: "Rachel, i hope to be back for good, just wont be reading as many books as before."

Good to hear Jason!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Rachel, i hope to be back for good, just wont be reading as many books as before."

I'm happy about this Jason. I love to hear you thoughts and insights.