Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Level 2 (Investigator) > Susie's Cruisin Thru the Cozies Challenge for 2019

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Dec 31, 2019 07:02AM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments Investigator is where I'm at!

Here is my bookshelf for the challenge that I will be choosing from...for the most part!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

16/20

1. ✔ Culinary (anything dealing with food: restaurants, baked goods, etc.) - Scone Cold Killer 6/17/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

2. Animal related (cats, dogs, birds, etc.) -

3. ✔ Craft related (any kind of hobbies - knitting, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.) - Crazy as a Quilt 1/8/18 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

4. ✔ Paranormal (witches, vampires, etc.) - Spell Disaster 7/28/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5. ✔ Cozy mysteries based outside the US (example: Belinda Lawrence series (British) - Her Royal Spyness 8/25/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

6. ✔ Career-based cozy mystery (housekeeping, wedding planner, etc.) - The Champagne Conspiracy: A Wine Country Mystery 2/5/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7. ✔ Holiday based (set during any holiday - Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, etc.) - Silent Night 12/31/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

8. Travel mystery (character could be on a cruise, touring another area, etc.) -

9. Historical mystery (any mystery not set in the present) -

10. ✔ My choice! (freebie!) - Death by Committee 10/18/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

11. ✔ Writing All Wrongs 1/17/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

12. ✔ Pies and Prejudice ⭐⭐ 2/7/19

13. ✔ Mission to Murder 3/2/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Above the Bridge
14. ✔ By Book or By Crook 3/25/19 ⭐⭐

15. ✔ Above the Bridge 5/12/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

16. ✔ The Moonglow Cafe 6/10/19 ⭐⭐⭐

17. ✔ Murder at Redwood Cove 11/17/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

18. ✔ Live and Let Chai 12/3/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

19. ✔ No Good Tea Goes Unpunished 12/22/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Crazy as a Quilt (A Harriet Turman/Loose Threads Mystery Book 8) by Arlene Sachitano Writing All Wrongs (A Books by the Bay Mystery #7) by Ellery Adams The Champagne Conspiracy A Wine Country Mystery (Wine Country Mysteries) by Ellen Crosby Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #1) by Ellery Adams Mission to Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery #2) by Lynn Cahoon By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1) by Eva Gates Above the Bridge (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #1) by Deborah Garner The Moonglow Cafe (Paige MacKenzie Mystery, #2) by Deborah Garner Scone Cold Killer (All-Day Breakfast Café Mystery #1) by Lena Gregory Spell Disaster (Silver Hollow #2) by Leighann Dobbs Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) by Rhys Bowen Death by Committee (An Abby McCree Mystery Book 1) by Alexis Morgan Murder at Redwood Cove (A Kelly Jackson Mystery Book 1) by Janet Finsilver Live and Let Chai (Seaside Café Mysteries Book 1) by Bree Baker No Good Tea Goes Unpunished (Seaside Café Mysteries Book 2) by Bree Baker Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5) by Donna Ball

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 876 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Susie! Good luck and have fun!

message 3: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Welcome

message 4: by Susie (last edited Jan 10, 2019 05:03AM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 1. Crazy as a Quilt by Arlene Sachitano. # 8 in the series about a group of quilters in a small community outside Seattle. I gave it 4 stars. Using for my craft-related cozy slot.
This is one of my favorite series but while this wasn't the best story in the series, it was still good. I like all the characters which is a bonus!

1 down, 19 to go!!!

message 5: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 28 comments Using for my craft-rela..." Sounds like a good series, new to me, glad you read it and I saw the post! Good luck with the challenge!

message 6: by Susie (last edited Jan 20, 2019 07:14AM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 2. Writing All Wrongs by Ellery Adams. 4 stars for this # 7 in the series.
This from the Books By the Bay series about a group of people who make up a writers group but run into mystrey and murder on a reular basis. All good characters with their own storylines and one of these stand outs is Haviland, the black standard poodle who is one well trained dog! Olivia,the main character, and owner of Haviland, also runs 2 resturants so this could apply to any number of categories, but I used it for general reading.
Enjoyable series!

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Susie wrote: "2. Writing All Wrongs by Ellery Adams. 4 stars for this # 7 in the series.
This from the Books By the Bay series about a group of people who make up a writers grou..."

Hope to start this series very soon. Good to hear stilll good.

message 8: by Susie (last edited Mar 02, 2019 10:57AM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 3. The Champagne Conspiracy: A Wine Country Mystery ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 2/5/19
This is # u in a sreies I started a long time ago and now catching up! Still good!

4. Pies and Prejudice ⭐⭐ 2/7/19
I love Ellery Adams cozies but this one I did not care for. Too many over the top adjectives...for everything! It got to be very annoying and distracted from the story.

5. Mission to Murder ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 3/2/19
Second in a series and I quite enjoyed it!

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Susie wrote: "3. The Champagne Conspiracy: A Wine Country Mystery ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 2/5/19
This is # u in a sreies I started a long time ago and now catching up! Still good!

4. [book:Pies and Prejudice|15749..."

Have not read Ellery Adams before, but I have Pies and Prejudice planned for this month. Sorry to hear it is not her best work.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 243 comments The story was good but too many adjectives for me! To each their own!

message 11: by Susie (last edited Mar 25, 2019 03:21PM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 6. By Book or By Crook... I gave it only 2 stars. It was very ho-hum.
A library in a lighthouse? I was pretty excited, so definitely a letdown. Someone else on here had the same review and they turned out to be spot on imo...

Oh well..onto the next one! 😉

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (smmolloy1105) | 329 comments Susie wrote: "6. By Book or By Crook... I gave it only 2 stars. It was very ho-hum.
A library in a lighthouse? I was pretty excited, so definitely a letdown. Someone else on here had the same re..."

You're better than me; at least you finished it. I couldn't even do that.

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Susie wrote: "6. By Book or By Crook... I gave it only 2 stars. It was very ho-hum.
A library in a lighthouse? I was pretty excited, so definitely a letdown. Someone else on here had the same re..."

Felt the same way. Thought for sure I'd love it. Doozy.

message 14: by Susie (last edited May 12, 2019 01:55PM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 7.Above the Bridge I gave it 4 stars. A definite improvement over the last cozy!
It takes place in Jackson Hole, so I liked that and I liked all the characters. It is the rare cozy where noone is murdered, but a mystery still needs solving, there are 'bad guys' and a little romance and time-travel thrown in! 🤗
Just realized I have had the 2cd in the series for several years, so I'm going for a two-fer!

message 15: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Don’t think I’ve ever read a cozy where someone wasn’t murdered. Interesting

message 16: by Susie (last edited Jul 28, 2019 06:10PM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 8. The Moonglow Cafe 6/10/19 ⭐⭐⭐.
This is second in the series from the on listed above. Sorry to say the second one was not as good or I realized neither are that great.😉

9. Scone Cold Killer 6/17/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I used this one for my culinary slot. Great start to a series about a breakfast cafe and it's owner and the trouble that seems to follow them. Also cute puppy...

10. Spell Disaster 7/28/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐.
This is for my paranormal slot. It is second in a series that I really enjoy. I like all the characters, including the many animals that accompany the 4 sisters on their adventures.

Half-way!!!!

message 17: by Susie (new)

Susie | 243 comments 12. Death by Committee 1018/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

For my freebie square...
Great first read in a new series for me. It has a great storyline, interesting characters, great dog and good story. Next!

message 18: by Susie (last edited Dec 22, 2019 07:34AM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments 13. Murder at Redwood Cove 11/17/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Great new series...love the location and the mystery kept me guessing!

14. Live and Let Chai 12/3/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
1st book in a new series...and great to listen to! Very enjoyable characters and many intriguing backstories to weave together.
Can't wait!

15. No Good Tea Goes Unpunished 12/22/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2cd in the series and just as enjoyable as the 1st one, with the exception that Everly, the lead has some annoying/ditsy 'inner dialog' that I could have done without.
Still good...still recommend.

Can I squeeze in one more before the end of the year?
I read several that has been on my tbr shelf for a long time, but didn't get my categories filled like I wanted...
Oh well...move them to my 2020 Challenge!😉

message 19: by Susie (last edited Dec 31, 2019 07:03AM) (new)

Susie | 243 comments I did!

16. Silent Night ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Last read of the year and it was a good one! Love this series...lots of dogs and lots of interesting characters!
Used for my holiday themed cozy...

On to 2020!

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevn57) | 9 comments Congrats Susie well done