J K Reads [Book Club] discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Kelsey (jane_kelsey) | 49 comments Mod

message 2: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I finished it! Absolutely loved the book <3 I'm here if anyone wants to discuss :D

message 3: by Books And Boba (new)

Books And Boba (booksandboba) I finished a few days ago! Can I just say I was so gutted by Taro’s death and that he didn’t find out Satoshi was plotting against him all along and IM SO MAD HE DIDNT GET BROUGHT BACK LIKE MARI

message 4: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I'm not that mad? like it made sense for him to die like that and I didn't like him as much as I liked Mari but yes he definitely deserved to know that Santoshi was the culprit all along!!!

message 5: by F (new)

F | 2 comments Omg. Finished this last night. Absolutely loved it. I was gutted when I thought both Taro and Mari were dead. I love how the story rounded off in the Last Empress chapter. I do think Taro's death was necessary as otherwise I think there would have been a continuing cycle of revenge in the kingdom. Also loving that despite much of the story building up a possible romance, it didn't actually focus on that in the end.

message 6: by Véronique (new)

Véronique | 6 comments I just finished the book and I just, I don’t know. What an amazing book. I did shed a few tears when my bae Taro died, but I suppose it was necessary for the story. I wasn’t sure what to expect of this book, but holy hell, this has been such an amazing story! And I loved reading it along side you all and talking about it ☺️

message 7: by Books And Boba (new)

Books And Boba (booksandboba) I totally agree Taro’s death was necessary but it still broke my heart :( I’m glad Mari got to change things though!

Daniela - The Bookish Living (thebookishliving) | 15 comments OMG OMG I've just finished the book. I loved it, I lived everything about the story. What a complex character Taro was, at least he heard the truth though we'll never know if he believed it or not. Sei really disappointed me, but I can understand her motives. I wished she wouldn't have died.

I am happy with how the story ends. Especially because it breaks with most of the classical "happy endings" where the happy couple conquers everything.

Right now I can't find enough words to explain how I feel about this book because I'm still in awe.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Oh My God! That Ending was perfeeeeect! I could swear that they would both be brought back to life and happy ever after, but no! Mari is the only one who survived and the last two pages were incredible.

For me, this novel was very empowering... initially Mari falls for the same tropes, however in the Winter room she takes control of her destiny and everything falls into place for her when she returns home.

I was impressed by the fact that the writer chose to empower her rather than give her a happy ending. I cannot remember last time I read a book with no HEA.

Also loved that she wrapped up the story of the gods as well, with the goddesses finally taking a stand.

For a book that was so feminist, in my opinion, did a great job of not shoving that in your face, the message was subtle, a package with the plot and the characters. It made sense and it wasn't questioned.

This is my favourite ya book this year by far, and favourite book box book ever!! It was sooooooo much fun!

message 10: by Jane (new)

The Bookish Living wrote: "OMG OMG I've just finished the book. I loved it, I lived everything about the story. What a complex character Taro was, at least he heard the truth though we'll never know if he believed it or not...."

Me too, I was so in love with this book, and the unexpectacy of Taro's death hit me like a blow, however I love it even more for that.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Charvi wrote: "I finished it! Absolutely loved the book <3 I'm here if anyone wants to discuss :D"

Holy sh*t!!!!!!! Like WOW

message 12: by Jane (new)

Also, THANK YOU guys for joining me on this readalong! It was so much fun to be able to talk spoilers with you! I cannot wait for the next one!

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire Okay, here's the thing—I really, truly loved this book. The story was great, the characters were perfect and the mythology and folklore was astoundingly detailed, but I really, really hated that ending.

The end battle scene was great! I was shocked that Taro died, and honestly thought Mari was dead, too, for a moment there. I adored everything, right up to the last page and a half where everything that happened next was summed up.

To me it felt too much like bullet points at the end of such a wonderful book. I honestly thought it was setting the scene for a sequel, so I was disappointed when everything was just wrapped up super quickly. I still enjoyed the book, though.

I've also really enjoyed this readalong! Thanks for hosting it Jane!

message 14: by Jane (new)

you're welcome my darling. I've had so much fun!!!

I totally agree with you, except the last page, because I really loved how it ended. It made the book for me. strange how reading can be so subjective, there isn't anything like it. I can totally see your point of view.